RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > 2011 Sport Restricted Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

SportHSE

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2011 Sport Restricted Performance

Took my sport for its first drive after an engine rebuild (was bought broken). As soon as I put my foot down and the second turbo tries to kick in, I'm getting a restricted performance message on the dash limiting me to 3k RPM. Plugging the code reader in says: P22D3 turbocharger inlet valve stuck open. And P22CF Turbocharger Inlet valve control circuit -open. I read on another forum post reference an issue like this that it can be caused by a vacuum problem. I thought this may be relevant because looking at the passenger EGR where the vacuum operated valve is pulsing back and fourth constantly. All other 3.0TDV6's I've worked on before have stayed in position when running.
I put the car on the lift and pulled the passenger wheel off to access the turbo and check the vertical arm that I believe operates the valve and it was moving when the ignition was turned on.

Any thoughts would be massively appreciated.

Post #593588 Tue Jan 21 2020 6:09pm
Godders

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

similar to mine which turned out to be the turbo actuator, which I had replaced. Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Post #593595 Tue Jan 21 2020 7:41pm
SportHSE

Thanks for the response! Was that a body off job or is it accessible?

Post #593598 Tue Jan 21 2020 8:25pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

Common fault for this is the vacuum reservoir not properly connected. You'll find it under the airbox where the top intercooler pipe connects to the engine. Joe

Post #593651 Wed Jan 22 2020 4:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Godders

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

When I had the actuator done (in France) at dealers, it cost me about 1,600 euros and I think it was about 4 hours labour charged so no body off. Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Post #593661 Wed Jan 22 2020 5:51pm
SportHSE

OvalAutos wrote:
Common fault for this is the vacuum reservoir not properly connected. You'll find it under the airbox where the top intercooler pipe connects to the engine.

Coincidentally I got my ear in the engine bay a couple hours ago and thought I heard a hissing. Knowing that the valve on the turbo is vacuum operated I stripped the intercooler pipe and the housing (before the throttle body) off are sure enough, the pipe had somehow dislodged. Road tested and it runs beautifully. I then come in to see what you've written. You were bang on. Thank you.

Post #593664 Wed Jan 22 2020 6:19pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

The codes P22D3 turbocharger inlet valve stuck open and P22CF turbocharger Inlet valve control circuit have caught out some people into thinking they need to replace the secondary turbo at great expense. We've had cars in where the turbo has been changed by another garage (turbo experts), but the problem still persists Neutral

The fact you noticed the EGR valve flapping is the giveaway. Joe

Post #593688 Thu Jan 23 2020 9:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1