52%
 52%  [13]
Total Votes: 25

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

RRT wrote:
I bought a 4.4ltr V8 last April and have done around 5000 miles since. My MPG over the time has been around 26mpg (measured not from the dash). A lot of my driving is short journeys with long 150 mile each way every couple of months. According to the dash the longer journeys are returning up to 33mpg, this is motorway type driving trying to cruise sensibly at 70mph+

That's go to be a result! I know mine's older but my 3.6 TDV8 over 3 1/2 years has done 25 mpg. Mostly short journeys but with a 80 mile round trip once a week and once or twice a year a 1000+ mile holiday trip. I'm quite happy with 25mpg all things considered. But if you can get 26 from a 4.4 that's got to be good. Of course as we all know the most fuel is used when accelerating 2.5 tonnes all of which is lost again when you brake. So I guess if you had my journeys you'd be a bit less than the 26mpg. Still very good though. SWMBO's 2 litre Saab turbo only gets around 30mpg!

It's all just idle curiosity however, as if your worried about mpg, you shouldn't be driving a RRS (acknowledgement to RRSTDV8) Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #593062 Thu Jan 09 2020 4:56pm
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

How new are you buying the car?

If from brand new then factor in the SDV8 will initially depreciate more in the UK so bargain hard on one if you go that route, after a year or so the prices have levelled out to a fair area for both models - depreciation on both will be reasonably significant in first few years!

Having owned both, there's not much in it at all performance wise and the used car market treats the SDV6 better even with the known oil and crank issues.

With that being said the SDV8 sounds better and feels nice to boot and is more reliable so far from forum posts.

If you are concerned about city driving and can plug the car in every single day, the hybrid is a convincing alternative, also the SCV8 (non-SVR) depending on your mileage is also a fun car to drive!

Whatever you get make sure you go over it with a fine tooth comb at the dealership and take the exact car for an extended test drive to see if there are any gremlins lurking - rattles, panels not aligned, un-accounted for damage, the usual stuff! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #593072 Thu Jan 09 2020 8:39pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

The fault is the crankshaft snapping on the SDV6 engines,have a look at this.But don’t let it put you off,if your buying new it will be covered & if your buying used some warranty companies cover it.
https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic52976.html Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #593225 Sun Jan 12 2020 6:35pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

I have owned a 2014 L494 with the SDV6 engine and I currently own a 2017 L494 with the SDV8 engine. I do a mix of motorway, urban and rural driving and I averaged 31mpg with the SDV6 and I am currently averaging 27mpg with the SDV8. IMHO the SDV8 is the nicer engine because it has considerably more mid range punch than the SDV6. I found overtaking with the SDV6 to be a bit of a heart in mouth affair whereas with the SDV8 its much more relaxed

Yes the SDV8 engined L494 feels a bit heavier at the front but then if youre that bothered about handling you should probably be heading for a Porsche dealer rather than a L-R one. One difference that does bother me is that my current SDV8 L494 seems to ride a bit harder than my previous SDV6. That might be solely down to different wheel sizes, 21" v 20", but I do wonder whether L-R set up the suspension a bit firmer for the SDV8 models

Post #593252 Mon Jan 13 2020 2:54pm
buzz387

United Kingdom 

Thanks Everyone - all really helpful - looking at both engine options, but keen to buy 2nd hand from LR for the warranty.

Any thoughts on options that people wish they had or loved having? Any view on in control apps?

Post #593264 Mon Jan 13 2020 8:58pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

My favourite options are the sliding pano roof, remote park heat and adaptive lights

Post #593265 Mon Jan 13 2020 9:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12