RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 4.4 SDV8 Idle (Liverpool)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Daymercer

United Kingdom 
4.4 SDV8 Idle (Liverpool)

Hi all,

Recently purchased an approved used 4.4 SDV8 AB (2014) from Rybrook Conwy. Absolutely amazing experience and service from start to finish and I am absolutely loving the car.
I have never driven a RRS before this one and so I have nothing to compare my experience to, but in the last few weeks something has been bugging me. When the car is idling, either cold or hot, there is a sort of rhythmic 'hum hum hum' noise that can be heard over the engine and is hard to pinpoint the cause. You can only really hear it from inside the vehicle and it is more pronounced when in the drivers seat, with what appears to be some very slight accompanying vibrations through the steering wheel. It is not loud enough to be heard when driving along, or above the stereo, but it is definitely there when sat stationary. It also doesn't seem to be linked to revs as it remains constant when applying the throttle lightly.
I know it is impossible to diagnose problems through a forum, but I was really hoping someone in the Liverpool or surrounding area with a 4.4 SDV8 would be kind enough to meet up somewhere so that we can compare idling characteristics and hopefully either put my mind at ease or help me work towards finding the fault (if any).

Keep up the excellent work fellas and hope to hear back soon.

David

Post #593115 Fri Jan 10 2020 5:39pm
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

This might not help that much but I've had the SDV8 in full size and Sport sizes and there is a little vibration at idle in both cars I had - it is a diesel after all!

Can't speak for the humming sound though I don't remember getting that, but the engine is a little coarser than the SCV8 for example!

Thanks! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #593162 Sat Jan 11 2020 3:36pm
Daymercer

United Kingdom 

Thanks DangerMouseUK - this is also my first ever diesel so it has taken a while to get used to how rough they sound (probably my last too to be honest). It really is a lovely car when cruising, but those initial moments during idling and the early gear changes are enough to have me considering alternatives. I'm not sure it feels 'premium' enough for me, which is a real shame considering the price and how much I 'wanted' to like the car.
I think it may have already been mentioned on here, but I feel like a lot of love for these vehicles is purely psychological. Apart from the looks and the prestige of ownership, I can think of a better car for almost every aspect of driving - especially the gearbox and its lack of intuition - even though I have the AB Dynamic. Off road capability is certainly unparalleled but, let's face it, that's just not going to happen for the majority of people. Will be looking at an Audi Q8 this summer, as the driving experience beats the RRS hands down in my opinion.

Post #594117 Sat Feb 01 2020 2:13am
Spleen

United Kingdom 

What an odd post, why did you bother buying it then? Ferrari F430 Spider F1
MY17 RRS AB V6
2CV6 Special

Post #594119 Sat Feb 01 2020 8:52am
Daymercer

United Kingdom 

I bought it because, just like every vehicle I've owned, you have to live with a car for a while in your weekly routine to really get a feel for it and how it suits you. Like I said, it's a great machine for off-road, but for a daily driver it just doesn't cut it for me anymore. I tried the V8 SC, which was much smoother, and actually lived up to the 'sport' name, but the MPG did not justify the gains. I felt it was a neither here nor there vehicle - not impressively quick nor as premium feeling as an Audi or BMW.
I'm still looking for that magical combination of luxury and power, but without the Bentley price tag, so recommendations would be welcome.

Cheers

Post #594130 Sat Feb 01 2020 12:18pm
Spleen

United Kingdom 

Surprised you took the plunge given the costs involved. Still, good luck with your hunt. Ferrari F430 Spider F1
MY17 RRS AB V6
2CV6 Special

Post #594131 Sat Feb 01 2020 12:41pm
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Unfortunately the Range Rover and Range Rover Sports are the best of a bad bunch and I do mean that in a loving way towards the brand.

You go away, you realise the other offerings are much worse, you come back you get reliability and QC issues, you get fed up, you go away, you realise the other offerings are much worse and you come back.

Repeat ad infinitum. Non JLR Vehicle

Post #594140 Sat Feb 01 2020 3:03pm
teldec

United Kingdom 

Daymercer wrote:
I bought it because, just like every vehicle I've owned, you have to live with a car for a while in your weekly routine to really get a feel for it and how it suits you. Like I said, it's a great machine for off-road, but for a daily driver it just doesn't cut it for me anymore. I tried the V8 SC, which was much smoother, and actually lived up to the 'sport' name, but the MPG did not justify the gains. I felt it was a neither here nor there vehicle - not impressively quick nor as premium feeling as an Audi or BMW.
I'm still looking for that magical combination of luxury and power, but without the Bentley price tag, so recommendations would be welcome.

Cheers

Maybe try a bentayga or a Cullinan buddy

Post #594147 Sat Feb 01 2020 4:56pm
Bluenowhere

United Kingdom 

No hum on my sdv8 and no noticeably vibration through steering wheel at idle either. My first owned diesel, although I’ve been in plenty but not as my daily drive, and was surprised by how quiet and refined it is. Something doesn’t sound right with yours to me.

I test drove an sdv6 that did sound like you describe and I left it well alone as it didn’t seem right to me. MY14.5 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Dynamic Corris Grey

Post #594243 Sun Feb 02 2020 11:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1