RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > Options, Options & More Options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Rusty Ranger

United Kingdom 
Options, Options & More Options

I'm looking to put an order in for a RRS, and the options list is remarkably long. quite confusing, and contains packs of overlapping options. I'm trying to understand what others find to be useful, and what are gimmicks.

For example, the Cold Climate Pack (heated steering wheel, 4 zone climate control & cabin preconditioning) and the Drive Pro Pack (adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, traffic sign recognition, driver condition monitor, blind spot assist & emergency braking) seem useful. What do others think are worthwhile or pointless?

Post #592712 Fri Jan 03 2020 8:27pm
Jjvd21

United States 

Personal opinions:

Glad I optioned for:
HUD display
Front and rear heated/cooled seats
Ebony headlining
Carbon fiber interior trim - the piano black will scratch and will have fingerprints
Meridian signature but it’s a $4540 option Shocked
All the drive and park packs. Lane assist comes in handy as does auto park from time to time.
2020’s come pre wired for deployable side steps so easier to add if you want them
Soft door close
Front cooler does come in handy

Not worth it:
Carbon fiber engine cover
Activity key
Wade sensing

Worth noting that the summer tire option is a 295/40/22 tire which is a street tire and not suitable for snow - not even a 1/4”. The alternative size or all season is 285/40/22 which has more tire options but is a smaller diameter tire. If you live in a cold climate the 295/40/22 are laughable just opt for the 285 versions. 2020 SVR / R.I.P. 2019 SVR / 2016 D4 Landmark / 2005 D3 HSE

Post #592724 Fri Jan 03 2020 9:58pm
Rusty Ranger

United Kingdom 

Thanks. Well you've identified a whole load of things I thought would be unnecessary: HUD, Meridian Signature, soft door close & front cooler. And that is exactly why I asked the question.

Interesting what you say about tires. They are probably different here because we fit our cars with tyres instead Laughing I normally fit winter tyres for the coldest few months of the year, although our winters are nothing like yours.

Post #592726 Fri Jan 03 2020 10:24pm
Jjvd21

United States 

At the end of the day it’s all unnecessary Rolling with laughter but I listed my personal preferences. 2020 SVR / R.I.P. 2019 SVR / 2016 D4 Landmark / 2005 D3 HSE

Post #592727 Fri Jan 03 2020 10:45pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

360 degree camera system, waste of money. Think I have used them a couple of times

Post #592886 Sun Jan 05 2020 11:46pm
Ash3

United Kingdom 

360 degree camera is ok...but it is disappointing as it does not switch between front and rear cameras automatically like my Q7 did.

Signature meridian system (1700w) is awesome. ....but very expensive.

HUD is practical and good.

Massage seats are gimmicky .. not really much of a massage.

Rear entertainment..great on longer journeys if you have kids.

Auto deploying step boards are good...but not really worth the money over fixed boards plus fixed boards cant go wrong...but definitely need step boards as it makes it so much easier getting in and out...remember its a big car with seats quite high off ground level...so it comes down to asthetics regarding choice of which ones.

Heated steering wheel..never had one before...but now that I have one..it is awesome..you will love it in winter.

Heated seats are standard..but heated/cooled seats are extra. (Except on the AB model)...so unless you are getting the AB model...dont bother..cooling function is not that great..unless it is just mine..(I bought a my16 used AB model...tho it is a very highly specced one).

Piano black trim...looks nice..BUT DONT...It marks easily..scratches show up easily and it starts looking tired if not looked after properly.

Front door armrest/handle storage....very useful and tidy.

Metallic....IMO...much better than flat gloss colours...but guess its a personal thing.

Sliding roof....actually do like it..great in summer..but panaramic roof..sliding or fixed makes interior feel more roomy and airy..kids love looking up at sky when sitting in back. Panaramic roof is standard on dynamic and AB models I believe.

TV...ok but never really use it as always play dvds. But dual view screen is great if you opting for rear entertainment or tv.

Park assist..never really use it ..dont trust it.

Adaptive cruise control with with speed limiter..very good and welcome on motorway journeys.

Adaptive headlights with auto higj beam assist..again welcome on dark A / B roads..not the best but works just fine for me...not sure if it is standard across the range.

Post #592889 Mon Jan 06 2020 12:57am
Rusty Ranger

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the further comments. The car comes with a lot of things as standard, so I think that the cold climate pack is probably the only thing I will add (heated steering wheel, cabin preconditioning, 4 zone climate control).

Post #593164 Sat Jan 11 2020 3:39pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Heated steering wheel is excellent.

4 zone climate I would think a waste of money unless you regularly have fussy rear seat passengers who want different temperatures. I have three zone and usually keep everything synced (the equivalent of only one zone).

Remote cabin heating - I believe this adds an extra fuel burner in the engine compartment that can heat the cabin. Since 2017 model year cars it’s been possible to remote start the car and thus pre-heat (or pre-cool) the car anyway.

So I wouldn’t buy that pack - but I would definitely buy the heated steering wheel option alone if it’s not already on your model.

Other options (that come as standard on some models) I favour are:

Adaptive cruise
360 degree sensors
Blind spot monitors
Cooled seats
Full size spare wheel RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #593166 Sat Jan 11 2020 4:04pm
Rusty Ranger

United Kingdom 

I'm looking at the P400e pHEV, so I assumed that the preconditioning was electric from the Mains or battery. I'll have to check this out.

Post #593172 Sat Jan 11 2020 5:45pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

My views:

MUST HAVE:
360 camera
Heated steering wheel
Heated/cooled seats
Blind Spot Monitoring (at least)
Close vehicle detection - a bit sensitive, but so damed reassuring when reversing or at blind junctions.
Suede headlining, extended leather - you cannot notice this when driving, but the luxurious feel of these materials are so worth it.
Soft close doors - life without these must feel so clunky.
Keep wheels small - mine was 21" standard and I would have down graded but the 20" wheel tyre is actually more expensive and rarer than the 21" Pirelli. Going to 22" was unthinkable for me.
Wood finishers - Piano Black is just wrong, metal is ok, but on a Rangie I think wood is the order of the day and preferably satin wood (no finger prints).
High speed emergency braking - who doesn't need this sort of protection?

FEEL GOOD EXTRAS:
HUD - yes, and I'd rather have this than 4 zone climate or Signature 1800W
Remote climate - on the P400e you can set options for this to fire the small petrol heater which protects EV range. If you plug-in every night then you don't need this, but I do not, and it's close to being must-have for me.
Fixed Pano roof - I deleted my opening roof because the look of the fixed roof is just epic.... but note, if driving, you can't see the benefits! My son loves the uninterrupted view.
Active locking rear diff - fun fact, this diff comes on very very regularly if you observe the 4x4 info screen. It's doing something! From my perspective, adhesion and traction are key when it comes to a family vehicle, so this is my guilty pleasure knowing this is kicking in... I just can't feel it or know that it is doing any benefit whatsoever in ordinary use! I'm less than 1000 miles in so cannot use full throttle yet, but be aware, the P400e has a shed load of torque from standstill.

FRIVOLOUS... BUT LOVELY:
Signature 1800W - I love this so much, but the 825W is very very very very good, so....
Drive Pro - if you don't drive longer than 2 hours ever, then forget it. If sometimes, and if feeling frivolous, defo get it. If frequently drive long distances I'd say must-have.
Massage seats - I enjoy this from time to time

NOT TRIED:
Wade sensing - Not had the occasion to use it... but due to jaunts to Cornwall and some funky back roads I thought I'd cough up ~£260 (was it?) less discount for it.
Self parking - comes with Drive Pro. Not tried it yet.

Finally regards the P400e (albeit on a fatty) I think it is an absolutely brilliant drivetrain. LOADS of power, sounds just fine (I secretly like the thrum, reminds me of my throaty 309 GTi 25 years ago), and refined enough. MPG not great if you're not plugging in every night, but I don't care about that. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #593193 Sat Jan 11 2020 10:21pm
Farmer Chalk

I’ve had a couple of L494’s now with different options...

Must haves for my next one..

Heated steering wheel ( can’t believe I’m saying that )
Meridian signature stereo ( it’s awesome and great if you spend a long time in your car)
Blind spot monitoring...
Heated and cooled seating...
Big engine!

Stuff that is a total waste of money and I never use..

Cameras other than rear parking camera
Lane control ( why would you need this??)
Self parking ( as above... should you really be driving at all should be the bigger question? )

Post #593197 Sun Jan 12 2020 8:31am
Equilibrium

United Kingdom 

Ok, this is from a Discovery 5 owner, but many of the options are identical and I've also driven the RRS extensively, it was runner-up in my buying search. I've got the HSE Luxury SDV6, so same drive train and a high level of standard equipment, plus a number of options.

Heated steering wheel - worth having

360 degree camera - essential. I'm now in a loaner with just the backup camera and miss the 360 view for confirming i am square in a space as well as general ease of parking.

Meridiian Surround - excellent and good enough for most people. Way better than BMW HK option.

HUD - An essecntial option.

Adaptive Dynamics - essential (i.e. HSE Dynamic and above for RRS)

The driver pro pack or whatever it's called upgrades the adaptive cruise control and LKA to also have cruise assist, which is active lane centreing. This is really beneficial on a motorway and I really miss it in the loaner. Benefits not spelled out in the brochure.

Massage seats - i liked them in the AB RRS, but did not opt to pay for them in the Disco. The LR seats are very comfortable anyway and you have the space to shift position so much that it makes every journey pass easily.

Four zone CC is standard on mine, would pay for it if it wasn't. Nice to have that for rear seat passengers, as are heated seats.

Cooled seats - another essential IMHO.

Pano roof (two roofs in a Disco) - again would not be without this. The RRS AB with it was much nicer than the HSE without - i spent a couple of days in each.

A minor one - ebony headlining. I paid for this. The loaner without it has light lining and I find that distracting under street lights with the pano roof blind open. i.e. the inside of the roof becomes more noticable in peripheral vision. I now know that I would always have a black roof lining, irrespective of internal dash and seat colours.

Post #593201 Sun Jan 12 2020 9:17am
Equilibrium

United Kingdom 

Farmer Chalk wrote:
I’ve had a couple of L494’s now with different options...

Must haves for my next one..

Heated steering wheel ( can’t believe I’m saying that )
Meridian signature stereo ( it’s awesome and great if you spend a long time in your car)
Blind spot monitoring...
Heated and cooled seating...
Big engine!

Stuff that is a total waste of money and I never use..

Cameras other than rear parking camera
Lane control ( why would you need this??)
Self parking ( as above... should you really be driving at all should be the bigger question? )

Just a bit more on cameras and I don't know if this applies to the RRS. As above, my car has 360s and I've spent since Dec 23rd in two loaners with only the reversing camera.

The angle of view on the standard reversing camera seems different to the one on the 360 pack, not as good. More importantly, resolution and colour rendition is crap at night meaning you can see a lot less. Many disco drivers talk about upgrading their rear reversing lights, I suspect they all have the standard reversing camera.

My office car park has small spaces, on varying angles, and very worn markings. I arrive early, no other cars as 'markers' and reverse in, in the middle of an ocean of tarmac. Parking the 360 car, i land perfectly in the space, in the dark, every time. In car without, I usually need to adjust or end up tighter to one side.

Self parking, have it, don't even know how to use it.

Cruise assist (lane centreing) - fatigue reducing and means the brain can focus on everything else in motorway driving. Didn't realise how much I appreciated it until i didn't have it. Spending a couple of hours a day on a motorway, it's a nice thing to have.

Post #593203 Sun Jan 12 2020 9:28am
cormacr

Ireland 

Rusty Ranger wrote:
I'm looking at the P400e pHEV, so I assumed that the preconditioning was electric from the Mains or battery. I'll have to check this out.

I have a MY19 P400e PHEV, it has preconditioning as standard. You can preset a timer on the display or switch it on from the app - it will run off the mains if plugged in or battery if it’s charged. I use it all the time and it works really well. Current: RRS P400e PHEV HSE Dynamic MY19.5 Santorini
Current: Mini Cooper SE Electric 2022
Current: Discovery D300 SE Commercial MY21
Gone: RRS 3.0TDV6 HSE MY 17 Santorini

Post #593204 Sun Jan 12 2020 10:36am
Rusty Ranger

United Kingdom 

In the end, the only options I specified were a heated steering wheel, tow bar & rubber boot mat. The car is so well equipped anyway. I probably would have added a bit more if I was buying it but I'm doing a contract hire for 4 years, and that doesn't seem long enough in my mind to benefit from the extra cost.

Roll on delivery in April. Hopefully the Chinese factory shutdowns won't cause shortages of parts.

Post #594877 Fri Feb 14 2020 10:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>