RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > RRS 2.7 V6, fire!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Ukhozi

Spain 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
RRS 2.7 V6, fire!

On 2007 Range Rover Sport 2.7 V6 I took for an annual test for a client and wow, it passed but I was a bit concerned at one point in the test when it didn't want to start but all was well and it passed.

Drove it 12Km back and reversed into parking bay when all hell broke loose, hazards, door locks cycling, dash lights like Christmas, and DEAD, no handbrake, nothing worked.

As it had a new 100A battery I was sure it wasn't that and going on forum advise I popped a new brake-light switch in, well for 9€ it was worth a try but no, nuffin'.

So, out with the battery and looked behind and lo and behold, covered in water, stupid place to put all those electronics, under the scuttle.

Undid and dried all the connectors and then I smelt something all too familiar, burnt electrics,! Removed the cover from the "integrated Transfer box" and it got worse so looked in the rubber boots and the blue connector had 90% burnt out and 8cm (3") of wire bare. stripped the box out and opened it to find it was burnt inside too, no wonder the car went 'bonkers', it was lucky to whole lot did catch fire and burn out the car.

Second hand box on eBay (30€) and a new blue connector (12€) on the way and I hope that will be the end of that.

So, anyone had the same happen? was another box all that was needed? should I look for a cause for the blue connector to burn out as it looks like it burnt from the inside out rather than a short in the wires.

The owner says he has spent a fortune on that car and I can believe . I enjoyed driving it though but for popping down town, really?.

I drive a 2001 Mercedes A170 CDi auto and that IS a money pit, auto box just went up the creek and MB want 1200 to fix it, about what the car is worth.

Post #591866 Sat Dec 14 2019 3:31pm
Ukhozi

Hallo, anyone at home?
Zzzzzz

Post #592275 Mon Dec 23 2019 2:05pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

not heard that before.

is the car running ok now ?

Post #592281 Mon Dec 23 2019 2:41pm
Ukhozi

Nope, still waiting for the blue connector to arrive and for some kind soul to look and tell me the pin-out of it. I know there are a pair of twisted yellow/yellow black to the ECU, a thick red, a thick blue but the rest I will need to undo the loom but still don't know what pins a they burnt off. I am assured the s/h unit was not subject to trauma so will probably not need re-programing.

Post #592347 Wed Dec 25 2019 1:04pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

connector C1854R NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE BLUE CONNECTOR

6 blue purple +
5 black -
3 red +ign thinner
4 yellow/brown CAN HI
1 yellow/blue CAN LO

Post #592350 Wed Dec 25 2019 3:30pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Is the connector you ordered YPC114160 ?

I think the pictures may belong to Disco-Mikey.

Cheers
Col

Post #592355 Wed Dec 25 2019 10:23pm
Ukhozi

Many, many thanks guys.
The blue connector arrived Friday but without connectors, seems most Land Rover plugs are with connections but not this one!? Confused

So instead of cutting off the old ones with 3" of burnt cable, I will lightly twist and shrink sleeve over the wires then a second correct colour sleeve. Very Happy

Thanks again, I will let you all know the outcome tomorrow. who knows, maybe with a picture. Wink

Peter

Post #592502 Sun Dec 29 2019 3:02pm
Ukhozi

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Just an idea of the job.

The wires were burnt 3" down to the core and the ends came off so I had no idea of the pin-out.

Cut back, (as seen on the yellows) and added new wires using soft solder in shrink sleeve method, worked fine, then color shrink sleeve over. no purple so blue had to do and a black ring on the yellow/black, plain yellow for the yellow/brown.

I had to use small female spade terminals normally used in Molex blocks a I could not buy the proper ones, so one empty connector, that took longer to arrive than the TCU.

Integrated Transfer case box (TUC) fitted and wires connected individually, then had to super glue and tape rubber boot over wires and reassemble.

VERY carefully reconnected battery and WOW! no smoke, good sign.

Switched on and it soon settled down, connected my Autel 619 and cleared all three faults.
Car now runs without problems.

Couple of other things in that area fixed where connector mounting had broken so used a zip tie to stop them floating about.

Still no idea what caused the problem and why the fuse on the +30 line (red) didn't blow, very bad design.

Owner said he had had some work done on the suspension so that might have been the source of the problem.

Anyway guys, as you can see there was no way I could have fixed that without your help so big thank you.

Now he wants it tarting up, scratches sorted and a new gear knob, several outer trim panel clips replaced and the grey seats refurbished. Oh yeah, another hard to find part, the little retaining lug that fits on the left of the boot cover, (beige).

Peter

Post #592563 Tue Dec 31 2019 3:37pm
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

If you can get a copy of the RRS or Disco 4 wiring manual with connector diagrams, it lists the pigtail kits to use in the connector blocks. I’ve not had a single plug from LR that came with pins or pigtails. I’ve always had to get the pins from mouser or the pigtails from Ford Motor craft or LR. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #592596 Wed Jan 01 2020 1:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1