RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 5.0 AB VS SVR and Generic Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Farmer Chalk

In relation to your reliability question it has been excellent... only issue I had other than the servicing was a creak from the roof area which necessitated the pano roof to be removed and refitted...
As for comfort it’s awesome....most miles in a day was 720 non stop (other than fuelling). Got out at the other end and could have turned around and done it all again...
Spent two weeks constantly travelling around Italy in it and it was awesome... as for MPG I have averaged 25-26mpg which I think is exceptional given its power! Most mileage is spent on the motorway....

Re noise...sounds mutedly awesome....not in your face until you let rip!
This is definately the best car I have owned....

Now looking to potentially replace mine and will be looking for the same thing all over again!

Post #592131 Fri Dec 20 2019 6:43pm
sbradleyrr

United Kingdom 

Cheers Everyone. I think a trip to Battersea is in order to test drive the one i've seen.

Eaters - Cheers that is perfectly logical actually. the plan for when forced to park next to others is to leave the deployable side steps extended. that should protect the door i hope.

Post #592138 Fri Dec 20 2019 8:56pm
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Tim in Scotland wrote:
L405 doesn’t have a Dyrnamic setting in the TR settings either as far as I know.

Tim I had a 19 plate as a loan car and it definitely did have a Dynamic setting think it was added from MY18 on with the InControl Touch Pro Duo! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #592141 Sat Dec 21 2019 12:38am
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

sbradleyrr wrote:
Cheers Everyone. I think a trip to Battersea is in order to test drive the one i've seen.

Eaters - Cheers that is perfectly logical actually. the plan for when forced to park next to others is to leave the deployable side steps extended. that should protect the door i hope.

Is that Lookers Battersea? If so is that the blacked out 19 plate they had on 22" wheels? Looked nice! Was on my short list when I bought mine!

Good luck! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #592142 Sat Dec 21 2019 12:44am
sbradleyrr

United Kingdom 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ad...d=soc6#_=_

DM - yes. Its a very dark grey. Carpathian? although the decided to do the one thing that drives me up the wall. Upload an image when its wet!!

Its almost the exact spec i'm looking for. however those wheels have got to go!

The obvious problem is the location. its a few hundred miles away and there is no way in god's earth i'm buying any 90k car sight unseen. Especially a range rover. however, if it's still on the market after Xmas, i'll organise a test drive.

Post #592145 Sat Dec 21 2019 3:03am
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

sbradleyrr wrote:

Perhaps JLR should consider an optional extra for the RRS of scythe blades for each wheel as introduced by Boudica? Twisted Evil Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #592153 Sat Dec 21 2019 10:42am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Have you got a lookers dealer near you.? If yes they might transfer it to that dealer for a £500 refundable deposit,I know Guy Salmon & Hatfields do this. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #592154 Sat Dec 21 2019 10:45am
sbradleyrr

United Kingdom 

Good idea. However, Lookers only seem to cover the south of England. we don't get a look in ooop north.

Post #592169 Sat Dec 21 2019 2:56pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

I live round the corner from lookers battersea and know them well,
If you want me to pop in and look it over then happy
To help.

Best

James 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #592170 Sat Dec 21 2019 2:58pm
sbradleyrr

United Kingdom 

Thanks James.

However, I have arranged with SWMBO to go see it on the 3rd of January. (Its an excuse for her to go shopping In London). if it's still available. If it has been sold by then, I think I'll just take the first hit an order a new one. At least I can then get the exact spec I want.

Post #592177 Sat Dec 21 2019 5:56pm
Andy494

United Kingdom 

Hi sbradley,

I found myself in this exact scenario you find yourself in. Was absolutely adamant about having a supercharged V8 whether it was an Autobiography or SVR.

I’m fortunate that my annual mileage is no more than 6000 per year so running costs are a non-issue to me but I feel even if it was more I’d still want the V8. For me it’s about the character of the car and the V8 contributes hugely to that.

I test drove a pre-facelift SVR, an 18 plate AB and a facelift SVR.

All were great to drive, the pre-facelift SVR was by far the loudest. The AB sounded amazing on a cold start, IMO very much like an SVR but then calmed down to a lovely refined burble. As you’ve mentioned the comfort level inside is more L405 like so it has the SVR beat in that category clearly.

Then later on I test drove a facelift SVR and was impressed how it seemed more refined than the pre-facelift when driven steadily obviously! I later found my perfect spec used approved and was hooked! I am the shy humble type so as much as I wanted to play it safe with the AB I’m also a Land Rover fan so I should be proud to drive an SVR. If people want to judge that’s up to them.

I believe the balance is spot on, it’s beautifully refined when driven steadily- to most no different to any other RRS. Then when no one is around it is an absolute beast and full of character. Makes you enjoy driving again if you fell out with it like I did (after driving so many miles for work)

The most anti-social aspect of it is the cold start noise but it does put a ridiculous grin on your face! Very Happy

According to the remote app, some distance driving on motorway I’ve achieved 23mpg which I think is pretty damn good.

Also you can use the app’s remote climate feature to get the car warmed up before you go out.

If you do go down the new route, make sure you put your spec into rockar and carwow and see what deals you can get before going in to your local dealer. You’ve got the upper hand then.

All the best with your choice Thumbs Up

Post #592205 Sun Dec 22 2019 12:28pm
sbradleyrr

United Kingdom 

Hi Andy,

I think you have a perfectly valid point. My wife also pointed out that any range rover that isn't an SVR around Alderley Edge stands out like a sore thumb.

I think i'll look whats local in any spec and organise a test drive of an SVR tomorrow.

the one thing that concerns me is the ride quality. how firm is the ride in comparison to say your average euro Rep mobile?

As i said i do a tonne of miles, and at least once a week, drive into Central London and back in a day meaning ride quality is a sticking point for me.

This is also my first "Decent Car". I've always had fast bikes and terrible cars but fancied a change before the emissions rules make cars like this a thing of the past.

Post #592223 Sun Dec 22 2019 5:32pm
Andy494

United Kingdom 

Ironically I bought mine from up your way! Rolling with laughter

As far as the ride is concerned I find it a non-issue, this is something I looked out for and upon test driving I’d actually forgotten about it which told me at the least I was happy with it.

I’ve not got many miles to my name in a Euro rep mobile (!) but I’d have thought at least as good and depending on which driving mode you can feel the difference in the suspension set up. To be fair I believe you’d have this ability in the AB too.

It’s got to be worth a test drive- even if it’s in a spec you know you’d definitely not go for.

Again like you, I wanted to get my name down on one before they become even more vilified. This was a long term purchase for me, if a discovery 4 lasts me 10 years I won’t get bored of this anytime soon!

Post #592227 Sun Dec 22 2019 6:07pm
Jjvd21

United States 

sbradleyrr wrote:
Hi Andy,

I think you have a perfectly valid point. My wife also pointed out that any range rover that isn't an SVR around Alderley Edge stands out like a sore thumb.

I think i'll look whats local in any spec and organise a test drive of an SVR tomorrow.

the one thing that concerns me is the ride quality. how firm is the ride in comparison to say your average euro Rep mobile?

As i said i do a tonne of miles, and at least once a week, drive into Central London and back in a day meaning ride quality is a sticking point for me.

This is also my first "Decent Car". I've always had fast bikes and terrible cars but fancied a change before the emissions rules make cars like this a thing of the past.

One item to note about the ride in an RRS SVR (and I assume all L494 RRS) is that there is a “light load” and “normal load” setting. The “normal load” setting calls for 41 PSI on front tires and 50 PSI on rear tires. “Light load” calls for 37 PSI rear and 34 PSI front. When I took delivery of my SVR it had tire pressures of 58 PSI all around and was set on the “normal load” setting. It felt like driving on wheels without tires. Once I droppped the setting and PSI down it was very comfortable. I don’t know how many people know about this or change their pressures but it’s a drastic difference. I would ask your dealer to show you the tire pressures during your test drive as a point of reference Thumbs Up

Post #592249 Mon Dec 23 2019 3:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12