Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Trip to Alps - prep
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

DimShady

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Trip to Alps - prep

Hello,

This is my first post on here so go easy on me Smile. I'm spending a month in the Alps in January in my 2012 RRSport. I've attempted to prepare but am now concerned I've screwed up with my choice of equipment.

I bought a set of 2nd hand 20" OEM rims with winter tires on, same size as my summer ones (275/40 R20s). Also a set of XG-12 snow chains to go over them.

Only at this point did I think to read the manual (doh!) which says only fit 18" or 19" winter wheels.

I doesn't seem like this is going to make a material difference, but would be grateful for any advice from those more in the know.

Thanks
Dave

Post #591119 Thu Nov 28 2019 10:55am
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum, if your XG12 chains are the correct size for your 20s then you will been fine. I would be inclined to do a test fit to check clearance on inside of wheel just to be sure Thumbs Up also helps that you can fit them quickly in the cold weather if you do need them Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #591134 Thu Nov 28 2019 3:40pm
Half Man Half Pie

United Kingdom 

Everyone will have their views on winter tyres and chains etc

I've been driving up and down the mountain passes in Dec and Jan for a few years. Sods law will apply in that you will sort out tyres and chains and the french will do their usual job of keeping the roads clear.

I think of tyres as being the base level of reasurance for me in what can be slushy surfaces with chains being there for the one day a year when they are needed to get to the resort

I find the smaller roads around the resorts to be the worst as well as the resort car parks

Only once in 5 years have we had to use chains and we used the Thule Summit ones that are very easy to fit and dont go over the back of the tyres so that there are no issues of clearance

We also used Michelin Crossclimates which have the 3 peaks mountain on them making them winter tyres recognised by the french police.

They have been on an Audi A3, Alfa Guilietta and laterly a Discovery 3 where they were great for blasting down the auto route as well as going up the hills

Now I've bought a 2016 RRS with 21 wheels and the tyre choice isnt great and the chains are looking like £350

the point of smaller wheels is an interesting one, and I've no idea what would fit the discs and big brake calipers, as it increases the range of tyres but then comes with the issue of buying 5 wheels and tyres

Post #591183 Fri Nov 29 2019 12:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1