RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Another Timing Belt Replacement Question!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Evo5man

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey
Another Timing Belt Replacement Question!

My 2013 L320 RRS SDV6 will shortly be due a timing belt replacement so I have been doing some research on the forum to see what it involves and any recommendations regarding replacement of ancillary items while the timing belts are being changed.

I understand that the timing belts change minimum work consists of the following:

1. Replace front belt for camshaft timing
2. Replace rear belt for high pressure fuel pump

I have also seen mention on both the Disco Forum and on here that consideration should also be given to changing the following items as part of a preventive maintenance schedule:

A. Replace front auxiliary belt
B. Replace Idler pulleys for front timing belt and auxiliary belt
C. Replace belt tensioners (not sure if this is the same as item 'B' above?
D. Replace water pump - known issue?
E. Replace oil pump - known issue?

Replacing the auxiliary belts and pulleys/tensioners does seem sensible but changing both the water pump and oil pump does seem a bit excessive to me for preventive maintenance but if there are known issues with these components, perhaps it is better to replace them while the engine is being worked on?

I am not a mechanic and the work will be carried out by a RRS Indy but I would like some independent advice from Forum members on what they would recommend or what they have had done as part of the timing belt change.

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #588271 Tue Oct 08 2019 1:13pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

hopefully Oil pump issues were fixed around 2009. However if yours is high milage, then replacement wouldn't be a bad idea.

shouldn't need water pump replacement.

The cambelt tensioners and wheels come with the kit.

Yes replace the aux belt.

Post #588281 Tue Oct 08 2019 4:47pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I would agree with everything Andy said above. Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #588286 Tue Oct 08 2019 7:17pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Glad i have seen this thread Evo5man as i will be crossing this bridge in January and had exactly the same questions you have asked Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #588291 Tue Oct 08 2019 7:32pm
Evo5man

Andy K wrote:
hopefully Oil pump issues were fixed around 2009. However if yours is high milage, then replacement wouldn't be a bad idea.

shouldn't need water pump replacement.

The cambelt tensioners and wheels come with the kit.

Yes replace the aux belt.

Thanks Andy, that is exactly the type of advice I was looking for Thumbs Up

Post #588297 Tue Oct 08 2019 9:08pm
Evo5man

Buckster wrote:
Glad i have seen this thread Evo5man as i will be crossing this bridge in January and had exactly the same questions you have asked Thumbs Up

Hi Buckster,

Glad that my post was helpful for you too. Have you had any quotes for the work yet? I have had a quote of £831.00 incl VAT + an extra £25 for the aux belt if needed from a local RRS Indy.

I would be interested to learn what you or other forum members have been quoted or paid for the same work Thumbs Up

Post #588332 Wed Oct 09 2019 3:58pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The only quote i have had so far was £1300, this was for front and rear belt kits, aux belt and a 84 month 112000 mile service at Wimbledon Land Rover service centre 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #588376 Thu Oct 10 2019 9:31am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Evo5man wrote:
Buckster wrote:
Glad i have seen this thread Evo5man as i will be crossing this bridge in January and had exactly the same questions you have asked Thumbs Up

Hi Buckster,

Glad that my post was helpful for you too. Have you had any quotes for the work yet? I have had a quote of £831.00 incl VAT + an extra £25 for the aux belt if needed from a local RRS Indy.

I would be interested to learn what you or other forum members have been quoted or paid for the same work Thumbs Up

We charge £675 Inc VAT for all 3 belts, and an extra £175 Inc VAT for the service

Post #588380 Thu Oct 10 2019 10:35am
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

We're asked about oil pump changes at the same time as the T-belts. Before rushing in to a job that might not need doing, we always check the oil pressure first. If it's good, no new pump required. If it's low, then it's offered under advisement that the pressure may be low for other reasons and a new pump might not make any difference in pressure.

Checking the pressure is a simple task and should be done when the engine is hot. Joe

Post #588383 Thu Oct 10 2019 11:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Evo5man

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Evo5man wrote:
Buckster wrote:

Hi Buckster,

We charge £675 Inc VAT for all 3 belts, and an extra £175 Inc VAT for the service

Hi Disco_Mikey,

Thanks for the info Thumbs Up

With your unrivalled knowledge of the RRS, professional reputation for customer service and fair pricing strategy, I seriously need to consider a visit to Dundee to get the timing belt service done by you, perhaps with a gearbox flush as well Thumbs Up

Post #588402 Thu Oct 10 2019 8:50pm
Evo5man

OvalAutos wrote:
We're asked about oil pump changes at the same time as the T-belts. Before rushing in to a job that might not need doing, we always check the oil pressure first. If it's good, no new pump required. If it's low, then it's offered under advisement that the pressure may be low for other reasons and a new pump might not make any difference in pressure.

Checking the pressure is a simple task and should be done when the engine is hot.

Thanks for the info Joe Thumbs Up

Post #588403 Thu Oct 10 2019 8:51pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 

Evo5man wrote:
Buckster wrote:

Hi Buckster,

785 on fixed price from a Land Rover dealer 2012 SDV6 HSE (technically its hers)
2000 D2 TD5 - definitely mine
2005 D3 V8
Metalian Camper trailer for adventures

Post #588408 Thu Oct 10 2019 9:50pm
Disco_Mikey

Evo5man wrote:
Disco_Mikey wrote:
Evo5man wrote:
Buckster wrote:

Hi Buckster,

Hi Disco_Mikey,

Thanks for the info Thumbs Up

With your unrivalled knowledge of the RRS, professional reputation for customer service and fair pricing strategy, I seriously need to consider a visit to Dundee to get the timing belt service done by you, perhaps with a gearbox flush as well Thumbs Up

There is a Premier Inn and Travelodge within a few miles of the workshop, and we also have a courtesy car available, should it be needed Thumbs Up

Post #588412 Thu Oct 10 2019 10:31pm
Disco_Mikey

Duc750 wrote:

785 on fixed price from a participating Land Rover dealer

Fixed that Thumbs Up

Not all dealers participate in the Fixed Price Scheme Thumbs Up

Post #588413 Thu Oct 10 2019 10:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1