RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Dual remote lens dashcam system writeup with pictures...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Dual remote lens dashcam system writeup with pictures...

I’ve been wanting a dashcam for a long time because these days with fraudulent insurance claims and ‘crash for cash’ scams, having some video evidence could prove invaluable. However, I’ve been held back because I’m a bit OCD about the inside of my car – the door bins are always empty, drinks bottles/cups are never left in the cup holders and I would not be able to cope with anything significant stuck to the windscreen.

The only option for me would be a to have a discreet camera lens mounted behind the rearview mirror, wired permanently to a remote recording device. I’ve kept my eye on the market and there just has not been anything like this out there....until now!

After having a causal browse over on the dashcamtalk.com forum earlier this month, I found there were some guys who had been trialling preproduction versions of a new dual remote lens dashcam system called the K2S which was being designed and manufactured in China by a company called CamDii. This immediately got my attention. The good news was that the reviews were positive and the product had just been launched to the market!

Here’s the thread over on dashcamtalk: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/k2s-received.37896/
Because I didn’t want to get stung with import duty and I wanted a known, good level of UK based support, I bought from the exclusive UK distributor, Combi http://www.combi.org.uk

The K2S is a dual front and rear camera set up, that records both cameras in full HD 1080p at 30 frames per second. It also has Wi-Fi, GPS, records time lapse when the ignition is off at 2 frames per second and will wake up and start recording at 30 frames per second if it detects a shock. It can also hook up to the ODB port and record OBD data (not sure if this works with Land Rover because I didn’t want/need this option).

Here are all the bits you get in the box…

Click image to enlarge

Compared with my key this shows how tiny the cameras are…
Click image to enlarge

Now onto the install in the RRS:
I wired straight into the internal fusebox with the hardwire kit provided. I used fuse 29 for the permanent live and fuse 54 for the ignition live. The little box on the left is the power controller that will shut the system down if the battery level drops to a particular voltage. This is configurable between 11.8V to 12.4V.

Click image to enlarge

Earthed using one of the earth points behind the passenger kick panel…
Click image to enlarge

The front camera is mounted behind the rear view mirror so I cut a little slot in the housing to hide the cable…
Click image to enlarge

I wanted to hide the GPS receiver and it worked out that the base of the A-pillar was the most convenient place for this. The GPS receiver also contains the microphone to record the audio….
Click image to enlarge

In order to minimise any rattles, I wrapped all of the cables with automotive fabric tape…
Click image to enlarge

And ran them from the top glovebox...
Click image to enlarge

For the rear camera, I ran the cable under the sill covers…
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I also removed the internal rear quarter panel to run the cable along the existing loom. I also took the opportunity to tidy up the rats nest that someone created whilst fitting aftermarket towing electrics…
Click image to enlarge

And here is the end result.
Front camera…
Click image to enlarge

Rear camera…
Click image to enlarge

Control unit in the top glovebox…

There is also a little wireless remote control that can be used to snap still images when pressed. I mounted that on the side of the steering column…
Click image to enlarge

Footage can be viewed either by opening the videos files directly or using an application called RCam. This is pretty cool as it simultaneously displays the front and rear cameras along with a moving Google Maps showing your GPS location. It also gives you a speed and G-sensor readout…
Click image to enlarge

I’ll get some footage uploaded over the next few days for your viewing pleasure. Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #587766 Sun Sep 29 2019 7:32pm
Jjvd21

United States 

Very tidy and impressive solution!

Post #587767 Sun Sep 29 2019 8:01pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

I expected the price to be much, much higher .. that's a really nice bit of kit for the cost, so I'll be interested to see the video output Thumbs Up 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #587779 Mon Sep 30 2019 7:46am
SRE

Spain 

Nice install. Please post price In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #587782 Mon Sep 30 2019 8:21am
What's in the fridge?

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

SRE wrote:
Nice install. Please post price

From the links & description above I presume it's this...
http://www.combi.org.uk/products/194/K2S-D...R-2x-1080P 2008 TDV8 Buckingham Blue- SOLD

Post #587784 Mon Sep 30 2019 8:30am
knwatkins

That's the one Thumbs Up

Thanks for the comments guys. Footage to follow... Kev

Post #587789 Mon Sep 30 2019 9:58am
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Thumbs Up

I have the K1S version in my RRS and have always rated it. Pretty similar features but without WiFi & I'm sure of lesser spec. Has been reliable but eats up space on SD cards so needs reformatting every few months and they need to be of good quality max 16gb otherwise buffer out. I'm sure yours will be better though. Good choice and I'd love one for the XC70 but got other priorities atm

Post #587921 Wed Oct 02 2019 8:49pm
mrluke

United Kingdom 

Out of interest , Why choose this over the Mini 0906 dual cam ?

I have the mini 0906 and its been perfect ( apart from a firmware crash once ) and uses a lot less wiring , the front camera is the main unit , and the rear camera is like yours . No need for any units in the glovebox.

Post #588371 Thu Oct 10 2019 8:52am
knwatkins

Hi Luke, I went for this because it's a lot more discrete than the 0906. Yes, the 0906 is small, but not as small as the just the camera on its own. Having the electronics separate and being able to hide it away was the big plus point for me. Kev

Post #588377 Thu Oct 10 2019 9:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1