RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Faults: HDC, transmission,brake, and stuck in low ratio
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Mavman

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Faults: HDC, transmission,brake, and stuck in low ratio

This is an after action report that may be of some use to someone like me who comes on here to find solutions to RR Sport problems. I hope it helps someone.

You should all know that the group think knowledge on here is unsurpassed, and this is a tiny 'give back'. Thank you all.

Vehicle is a RR Sport 2005 L320 Supercharged.

Sequence of events: I ran out fuel (duh!), ran the battery flat trying to restart it while parked on a mild uphill slope (in the end I needed 3 x 5 ltrs to refill), having run the battery flat I got someone to give me a jump start. So then...

Engine started but I had a Christmas tree of dashboard lights: orange engine light, flashing HDC light, red parking brake light, orange brake warning light, plus 'Special programs unavailable', 'transmission error', and 'suspension lowered' informations. When driving off I found I was stuck in low ratio and unable to change out of it.

It was a wet and rainy night and the priority was to get my family home, and with many things RR Sport I rather hoped that the faults would clear themselves overnight. They didn't.

With the same faults continuing to display the next morning (including the handbrake being automatically on at engine start and not auto releasing) I set about finding a solution. I tried doing a hard reset (as per: ). No change. After doing some googling I became convinced it was a faulty brake switch. I drove (in low ratio) to my excellent Indy Land Rover garage (Lantrac.co.uk in south Wiltshire - I can't recommend them enough) and swapped out the suspect brake switch for a new one - no change. I checked the ECU located just behind the battery for possible water damage (which apparently is a common fault) - but it was ok.

Dave (who runs lantrac.co.uk) pointed me at the transfer box as being the possible culprit. I then found a post suggesting a Clutch and Range Change Calibration (see below) which I carried out and it immediately cleared all the lights and all the problems.

I hope this helps someone. Here it is:

Clutch and Range Change Mechanism Calibration
In order for the range change mechanism to function correctly, the transfer box control module must be calibrated to the
mechanical dimensions of the transfer box that it is connected to.

This procedure will need to be followed if one of the following occurs:

The vehicle is first assembled
The switch is changed
The transfer box control module is changed
The transfer box or range position sensor is changed
Vehicle or transfer box control module fault has caused the transfer box to revert to an undefined range.
Calibration can be carried out using the service tool or by following this procedure:

Switch ignition to position II without the engine running
Select automatic or manual transmission neutral
Depress the throttle pedal fully
Press and hold the range change switch for 5 or more seconds to allow calibration to start
When the calibration is heard to start, the switch and throttle pedal can be released
Upon adopting high range, start the engine and wait 30 seconds while the first calibration of the clutch in high
range is done. While this calibration process is in progress, no shifting is accepted
Switch ignition off and wait 15 seconds
Start engine
Perform a range change to low range. Wait 30 seconds while the first calibration of the clutch in low range is done.
While this calibration process is in progress, no shifting is accepted
Switch ignition off and wait 15 seconds
Range and clutch calibration is now complete.

Post #588294 Tue Oct 08 2019 9:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1