Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 4.4 V8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

iknight167

United Kingdom 
4.4 V8

Good morning,

I've currently got a SDV6 3.0 L 306HP Diesel. I find the performance mostly adequate but do sometimes find it a bit slow to pick up (I've had Cayenne V8s previously). I've been toying with the idea of swapping for a 4.4 and would spec it with 21" wheels instead of the standard 22". When I enquired with the dealer, who I've had a few cars off, they implied the 4.4 was a bit unusual nowadays and not a massive improvement in performance over the 3.0. They seem to push quite heavily towards the new P400 3.0 petrol as the one to go for. I wouldn't want the HST as I'm not keen on the suede bits and so it would be the HSE Dynamic that I'd look at. Are there many 4.4 owners on here and if so how do they compare and also the same question to any P400 owners. The lower torque figures were a concern with the petrol. I'm not particularity interested in the 5.0 petrols.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by iknight167 on Mon Sep 30 2019 11:23am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #587790 Mon Sep 30 2019 10:00am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

As LR says their isn't much difference in performance from the V8 against the V6,mate of mine has a V8 & ive driven it & it doesn't corner as well as the V6 with it being heavier at the front end.I would say the V8 is probably a more reliable engine but if buying new it doesn't really matter as it will be covered under warranty for 3 years in the event of anything happening.I was looking for a V8 diesel when I bought my15 V6 because of the crankshaft issue but I got it in writing from the dealer that it would be covered in the event of anything happening to it. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #587791 Mon Sep 30 2019 10:35am
timhum

United Kingdom 

I've had my P400 for 3 weeks and almost 1k miles. Previously I had a 3l diesel and found it fine apart from my driving patterns changing resulting in quite a lot of short journeys and then 6 long ones, 1500 miles, per year. It was using a lot of ad-blue and the service intervals were falling. I didn't want a 5l V8 petrol for many reasons and when the 3l petrol was announced it seemed to be the car for me. I can say that I'm really pleased with it, smooth, responsive, quick and very quiet. I don't tow so can't comment of torque in that context but in my use it gives away nothing to the 3l diesel. I didn't want the HST as I prefer an understated car and so the HSE offered all I wanted in a more subtle fashion. As Im sure you've seen it is very well specified, I found I had very little to add to it. Fuel consumption overall so far is around 25mpg but on a couple of longer drives its recorded over 30mpg so probably 28mpg in the real world. I rented a 4.4V8 diesel to go to Switzerland a couple of years ago and over 1600 miles it gave an actual fuel economy of 28mpg. My 3l diesel over 31,000 miles gave 32mpg. Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #587793 Mon Sep 30 2019 11:00am
iknight167

United Kingdom 

Tyrefitter wrote:
As LR says their isn't much difference in performance from the V8 against the V6,mate of mine has a V8 & ive driven it & it doesn't corner as well as the V6 with it being heavier at the front end.I would say the V8 is probably a more reliable engine but if buying new it doesn't really matter as it will be covered under warranty for 3 years in the event of anything happening.I was looking for a V8 diesel when I bought my15 V6 because of the crankshaft issue but I got it in writing from the dealer that it would be covered in the event of anything happening to it.

Many thanks. I hadn't considered the extra weight.

Post #587804 Mon Sep 30 2019 3:38pm
iknight167

United Kingdom 

timhum wrote:
I've had my P400 for 3 weeks and almost 1k miles. Previously I had a 3l diesel and found it fine apart from my driving patterns changing resulting in quite a lot of short journeys and then 6 long ones, 1500 miles, per year. It was using a lot of ad-blue and the service intervals were falling. I didn't want a 5l V8 petrol for many reasons and when the 3l petrol was announced it seemed to be the car for me. I can say that I'm really pleased with it, smooth, responsive, quick and very quiet. I don't tow so can't comment of torque in that context but in my use it gives away nothing to the 3l diesel. I didn't want the HST as I prefer an understated car and so the HSE offered all I wanted in a more subtle fashion. As Im sure you've seen it is very well specified, I found I had very little to add to it. Fuel consumption overall so far is around 25mpg but on a couple of longer drives its recorded over 30mpg so probably 28mpg in the real world. I rented a 4.4V8 diesel to go to Switzerland a couple of years ago and over 1600 miles it gave an actual fuel economy of 28mpg. My 3l diesel over 31,000 miles gave 32mpg.

Many thanks for the detailed reply. It sounds like you have the right engine there. I will go and drive one on Wednesday and see how I get on but that sounds very encouraging.

I was actually thinking of Portofino myself.

thank you

Post #587805 Mon Sep 30 2019 3:43pm
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I like the sound of the new i6 engine. tim have you got anymore info on it vs say the SDV6 or SDV8 engines?

If you did go for the 4.4 instead of the 3.0 diesel make sure you negotiate a good discount as they drop in price from new.

As others have already said, there's not much in it between the SDV8 or SDV6 unless you're towing or really need the big grunt.

If this is a second hand purchase over 12-18 months old that changes things as the biggest depreciation will already have happened and in some cases I've seen similar spec'd SDV8 engined Autobiography Dynamics cheaper than SDV6 cars.

In that case if you were to keep it a longer time and got it cheaper then its much of a muchness and the engine is a good one (if a little rumbly) but has lots of power.

I'd strongly suggest driving an SDV6, SDV8 and the new I6 all back to back and going from there! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #587808 Mon Sep 30 2019 5:46pm
IRBails

Australia 

Own the V8 and drove both vehicles a lot before purchase. V8 wins hands down, is faster , almost as fuel efficient , no crank issues, and I defy you after driving to say the handling is better or worse. If like me you want your vehicle for it;s design purpose the V8 diesel is the way to go. If you are a poser and just want to drive the brand around town then the 2 litre will do. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #587821 Mon Sep 30 2019 10:52pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

He's talking about being pushed towards the 400bhp 3.0L petrol, not the 400bhp 2.0L + PHEV petrol. Do keep up. Whistle Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #587826 Tue Oct 01 2019 7:16am
DangerMouseUK

Lol !

The SDV8 and SDV6 are both really good engines in my books.

It really would come down to how you use the car and what you prefer.

Also if buying from new there are a few other considerations you need to take into account.

With all that being said I haven't driven the I6 - I do want to, if they did one in Autobiography Dynamic trim I'd be sold on a pre-reg / ex-demo but they only do the HST top spec trim which I can't figure out.

Drive all three, work out the financials and go from there !

IRBails - I wouldn't say either is worse btw, I'd say they're very different to drive due to the weight differences and the power delivery. Both have their advantages and disadvantages - like the I6 I'm sure. It's all about what would work for his specific use case I guess with the slight offshoot that if you're buying in the UK market, you need to forecast for diesel regulations slightly more than petrol regulations right now, but that could all change in an instant! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #587848 Tue Oct 01 2019 4:45pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If part of my driving required me to drive in to a city environment that welcomes EV/PHEVs then the 2.0PHEV would be the sensible choice. For other use, a 3.0 might be better. Horses for courses and all that. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #587852 Tue Oct 01 2019 6:10pm
IRBails

Australia 

Buying the next car is a long term research project for me, and the use of these forums is the way I get some of my info. Things that I like about my near 4 year old V8 with 100,000 K's is , No Add Blue, and 100 litre tank. The only things I would change is the ICE screen which I think there will be after market stuff in the near future.
When I change my work habits I may look into the new 110 , if it can be acquired with a larger diesel that will work as a tow vehicle. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #587878 Tue Oct 01 2019 10:43pm
DangerMouseUK

RRSTDV8 wrote:
If part of my driving required me to drive in to a city environment that welcomes EV/PHEVs then the 2.0PHEV would be the sensible choice. For other use, a 3.0 might be better. Horses for courses and all that.

I have a funny feeling thee I6 is going to replace the I4 in the bigger cars as the new PHEV power plant.

Don't hold me to that though, just not sure they'd keep a 2.0 litre engine when Merc have put a 3 litre engine in the S-Class hybrid.

Could be wrong ! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #587879 Tue Oct 01 2019 11:03pm
rangiejools

Australia 

I agree with IRBails, V8 is such a good engine. I had SDV6 and now SDV8 only slightly less economical and definitely more go in the mid range but maybe not from a standing start. Can't feel any difference in the handling.
Sounds so much better than the SDV6. I bought mine as I suspect it won't be around for much longer. SDV8 arrived and fantastic even the infotainment!
1983 2 door Range Rover ARB Bar X9000 winch ARB Rear Bar now semi retired.
Many big trips done in this one.
1982 Rangerover nearly restored.
22 Defender D250 with lots of stuff for outback touring
Nice 2013 Freelander TD4 manual (for daughter to learn on) with much better stereo compared with previous SD4 SE with Meridian which sounded bad!
2013 Land Rover Defender ute.

Post #587926 Thu Oct 03 2019 3:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1