Home > Faults & Fixes > Smokey the Bear, TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Davidno64

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 S Stornoway Grey
Smokey the Bear, TDV8

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum. Very Happy
I have had previous Land-Rover, Range-Rover's in the past. I have had Diesel cars in the past. But this is my first Range Rover Diesel. A 2008 L320 Sport, TDV8. Confused
I have had it near 1 year, at first it seemed a great car, abet a little complicated. Smooth, Fast, Economy (for size) and capable. Very Happy But I had a lot of issues and it has mostly been sitting.
Most oif my problems, I believe emanated from previous owner. Within a week of purchase, there were minor issues. Mechanically though, Injector #1 was intermittently noisy and also ? gave errors? causing momentary low power and Dash error. Turn off & restart, Then all is OK. Till nest time. Sad
I had leaking (minor) cooling system. Turned out a cracked Thermostat housing. Replaced new. At this point,I found where I had a fuel leak. So I replaced all the H.P Injector lines. Improved but still leaking. And all this passed Road Worthy. I get the water was almost undetectable but Blown Globes, Locking fault and Fuel Leak. Twisted Evil
At this time, now I'm getting an Injector Fault and Code. Replaced Injector #1 with a used Shocked replacement. Car was running well.

While trying to sort, had car on a Battery Charger (200A 12V Transformer type). This Blew up, F*@#ing the car. Took out a few ECU's, including the Main ECU. Had to order a New ECU from LAnd Rover and then get them to Program it. Done but now the car would not start. Land Rover diagnosed it to be a faulty Fuel Pump Big Cry Took it home, ordered a Reco pump from the UK, fitted it myself and no difference. L R confirmed the fault in the pump to be a pressure sensor??? Pump and sensors were OK. I had a leaking injector. Replaced all 8 injectors, Reconditioned. Car now has pressure, but Sever White smoke. Mostly from Right Tail Pipe. Ran car for 20 seconds, Filled my Back Yard and Pool with Smoke and Oil. To the point could no see or breath well. But not as bad as when I started it on leaking injector. During this period, I had a Oil pressure problem. That was shooting the Dip Stick out and siphoning out liters of oil within seconds. This has now cleared and dont know why? I checked the PCV, but was clear.

checking and rechecking work, looking for leaks, etc. No real cause found. Diagnostics show and imbalance in MAP reading between Left/Right. #4 Injector shows a running trim of 1400, while all others shoe ~600 and fluctuate. Replaced Injector #4 but same. Now the smoke is less. But I have a (lesser)Smoking issue, Low power (specifically off idle). A rough Idle, engine is noisy at and just off Idle. Sounds like an old school Diesel. Suspect it's knocking. Embarassed
Any advise would be appreciated. But before I spend more and more $$$ I want definite answers. I suspect remaining issue may be EGR delete? (Remember, EGR is removed and Blanked off. But Electrically connected). White Smoke, Knocking and lack of power (although it is improving). Big Cry

Post #584531 Sat Jul 27 2019 8:42am
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Have you done a compression test? 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #584558 Sat Jul 27 2019 8:16pm
Davidno64

Yes compression test done (of sort). Only had a tester for petrol motor (160 PSI, and leaky), So I used that. Tested all cylinders on bank 1. I suspected this too but from what I could tell, all good? Compression Meter read high, 150 to 160 PSI but in actual fact more. When cranking meter was blown out of my hand each time and felt similar pressure. So I guessing about 240 plus PSI??? (Bank 1 is the side I had injector failure, so I was suspect on this bank. Bank 2 untested for compression. But when tested, had a lot of fuel come out of cylinder #1, and slightly wet in cylinder #2 & #4. (Cylinder #1 relates the the failed injector).

Post #584586 Sun Jul 28 2019 11:10am
Davidno64

Today I had a moment for some testing. Ran and warmed, minimal smoke while stationary. OBD diagnostics shows MAF readings out; idle & revs) by a substantial amount (a difference of 10000 units). Had swapped position of MAF and same result (not MAF sensors. though there is some variance).
Cylinder balancing has a variance, but all 600 plus. Except Cylinder #4 is 1400 and constant. When reved this balancing offset returns to 1000 for all cylinders, inc. Cylinder #4.
Checked and repaired previous leak on vacuum line that run to swirl chambers. All OK. Checked for Vac or Pressure leaks in general. All OK.
\Tested boost. OBD readings show 0.75 for both turbo's at idle. Tried to load up by putting in Drive and holding Brake, while on accelerator. But same reading, though you can hear Turbo's loading and boosting also feeling of Torque increase. In fact all measurable data on OBD shows close to even bet=ween Cylinder Banks, except MAF Flow and Cylinder #4 Trim Balance Offset. Whistle
Will try again tomorrow. I suspect it is tied in with #4 Cylinder Balancing Offset. But need to find cause of this. What parameters control's Cylinder Balance? Question

Post #584587 Sun Jul 28 2019 11:27am
Wenier

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Hi,

The injector balance will always go all to 1000 or similar when revving. The balancing is only for idle (otherwise balancing is off).

Definitely would seem to be an issue with your 1400 reading and the 600's for that fact as they are all outside of the limits that it should be targeting. Info I have found (injector balance limits are between 960 and 1400, under limit is under fuel over is over fuelling).

I assume you are aware that #1 injector also doesn't mean that it is in Cylinder #1.

Everything regarding fuel injection including balancing should be from the ECM.

Sorry really can't be much help. 2010 RRS TDV8 181000km
2005 D3 TDV6 307000km

Post #584613 Mon Jul 29 2019 6:09am
Davidno64

Yes, I am aware this may be Cylinder #4 or not. As this is correction after an event has taken place, effecting angular velocity (engine speed). I have also discovered normal expected rage for correction would be about 900, not the 600 I am receiving. This discrepancy, I am guessing is due to removal of EGR. As all 7 Injectors are in the Ballpark of 600, I would expect this is normal correction for removed EGR. But the 1400 reading for Cylinder #4 is not normal being the odd one out. I am experiencing different flow readings from one bank to another (was leaning toward Turbo, but I think not?). I think? the difference in Air Flow reading is due to the 1400 reading of injector trim?? But what is the cause?? I am leaning toward either an electrical fault, tricking the computer or God Forbid a mechanical problem in a Cylinder. (Compression not measured accurately, But the did seem High and consistent to the feel). Still looking for answers.

Post #584619 Mon Jul 29 2019 10:10am
Wenier

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

I wouldn't be linking the EGR's to anything. They should be closed at idle and you did say they were blanked so should have no input whatsoever to what is going on. There is no extra butterfly to block normal intake on the TDV8 so with it blanked off only air from intake can be used.

Normal injectors all happy and working will hover between 900 and 1100 and all will probably sit pretty close to 1000 if they are working perfectly. Definitely something odd going on.

EDIT: If I find time in next few days I'll pop round to see a friend who has shop computer that can see all the live readings, as my nanocom doesn't read everything at the moment, and I will get pics of the different readings to put up here. My TDV8 is remap and EGR blanked. 2010 RRS TDV8 181000km
2005 D3 TDV6 307000km

Post #584653 Tue Jul 30 2019 6:14am
Davidno64

New tool arrived a few days ago, Compression Gauge. But rain, rain and more rain, every time I open the bonnet Evil or Very Mad Anyway, disassy top of motor removed Glow plugs and adapter for Gauge, don't fit. So I spun one up using a File and Drill, Then Tapped a new thread onto it (8MM). Compression test done, Cold readings are: #1-360psi, #2-360psi, #3-355psi, #4-360psi, #5-355psi, #6-360psi, #7-360psi, #8-365psi. Compression readings are higher than I expected but good and more-so pretty consistent. Very Happy So it seems mechanically engine fairly healthy (although a hot Compression test would be nice, but for more involved). As I have already changed the injectors with Reco units and substituted cylinder 4 injector with another. Seems my remaining fault is still Electrical Big Cry Big Cry Now the fun starts

Post #585223 Mon Aug 12 2019 6:17am
Davidno64

Been a while but progress, between the Rain I cause every time I open the Bonnet Big Cry . Compression test done with good results, so re-assy a bit at a time while there is a glimmer of Sun-Shine Whistle . (Damn brittle vacuum lines). Although I am aware of faulty ECU's relating to suspension causing intermittent CAN BUS errors. I noticed the main plugs to the Main ECU (or PCM), some pins had pushed though Censored . Thanks Land Rover Service. Re-Plugging this in (although not fully rectified), now #4 injector is running more normal, running rough but no smoke and all Injector Trim values varying. Car is waiting on a MAF (arrived damaged/ Ebay order). Injector trim is fluctuating between 1400 & 600 (previously sitting at 1400 only). All Injector Trim's are varying/fluctuating closer to what is expected.
I expect once the MAF has been replaced and I go though all connections to main ECU. Engine problems will be solved? Suspension ECU's may also be effecting operation, as these are causing intermittent Comm's loss on Can Bus. Do I see the light at the End of the Tunnel Question

Post #586430 Fri Sep 06 2019 6:50am
What's in the fridge?

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Good luck Thumbs Up

Just being nosey what mileage is on the car? 2008 TDV8 Buckingham Blue- SOLD

Post #586434 Fri Sep 06 2019 8:29am
Davidno64

Without checking, less than 180,000 Km

Post #586482 Sat Sep 07 2019 10:59am
Davidno64

OK, What a pain. Been working on this between the Weather. Spring is here and believe it or not. For the most part it has still been raining heavy. Big Cry
Anyway, Compression confirmed - Good. Checked ECU wiring to be good. Very Happy
Finally got a good MAF, installed and this now runs bad (this is a new fault). Confirmed MAF has no Volts to them. Crying or Very sad Located this to missing Fuses (someone stole 3 Fuses while car was parked up the driveway). Rolling Eyes
Replaced fuses, now running as it was but now MAF "B" is following same as MAF "A". Also located corroded connectors to the Transmission ECU (near main ECU). Replaced corroded Crimps on the Loom. Shocked
Testing car, now it smokes much less and drives better. This has been a nightmare but we are not there yet. Low Revs is low power and rough running. The injector Trim is still out of specially on injector #4. Others are reading about 600ish and 650ish. Just noticed now, think it getting worse, Misfiring at low Rev's. Confused Where the injectors are in Trim, Engine speed fluctuates and now minor misfires. Confused
More searching required, still need to fix issues with Stability control unit and ride height control unit's. I am also now suspect of Crank Angle & Cam Angle Sensors. Idea The search continues. Arrow

Post #587108 Tue Sep 17 2019 3:19pm
Davidno64

Life gets in the way, but now back to fixing the Range Rover. Shocked
Weather is getting better, checked a few Ecu's, etc and cannot find any or further faults? Mad While at it, I repaired sluggish door locking mechanisms. Replaced small DC motor inside door lock assy (once you know how, pretty easy job) Razz .
Now running the car and trying to locate the fault, does not smoke (Badly) but idles rough and no power.
Previously I was getting injector #4 Trim issues and smoke but that seems to have cleared. Now it feels the car is running on 7 cylinders. OBD diagnostics had confirmed just that. Injector #6 has now shut down, Mad other injectors running OK? (And Trim not stuck at 1400, as previously occurring on #4) Seems now the ECU is shutting down injector 6. Visually & electrically injector seems good (remember these were replacement injectors). Evil or Very Mad
I am suspect on CANBUS error as car has been getting weird faults all over that would mostly clear. Permanent errors for a blown interior globe, Suspension fault & Stability control, all persist. Been trying to locate all ECU's and unplugging, to see what effect. Found some ECU's hidden under Dash (drivers side), Impossible to get to Rolling Eyes , so I could not identify,. But was able to unplug, test & re-plug. Fault is still there. Disconnected the ABS module in engine bay. The car did not like that, would run properly at all. Re-plugged and back to normal, well it's normal/abnormal mode of in-operation. Big Cry

Has anyone got anything at all, Idea's please. What could cause injector #6 to now shut down? Whistle

Post #587943 Thu Oct 03 2019 1:48pm
Davidno64

OK, here we go. Finally some days without rain and a new part arrived. Took a stab in the dark but with an educated guess, I replaced it. Buying new, a Transfer Control Module.
Prior to this, I was suspect it was a faulty. Disassy unit cleaned off some water damage to connectors and P.C.B itself. Re-assy and test. It was working better but different. So I took the plunge.
Fitted new unit, again car responds slightly different. All traction control lights are now working perfectly again but car still wont Rev. Injector balancing same and #6 still has timing fault.
Cleared adaptations and all other fault codes. Noticed that this module has a blank for VIN number (but I cannot program it). Then suddenly motor glitched and all came good. Able to Rev motor, minimal smoke and it runs smoothly, etc. Very Happy Early days yet as it raining again, but car is getting closer to normal. Further diagnostics probly required but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (B.T.W stereo died after reconnecting the battery. When it rain, it pours).

Seemingly the T.C.M can effect running of the engine. Intermittent and other but causing issues on the Fuel Timing.

Post #590290 Tue Nov 12 2019 9:27am
What's in the fridge?

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Thumbs Up 2008 TDV8 Buckingham Blue- SOLD

Post #590292 Tue Nov 12 2019 9:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>