Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > SVR Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
SVR Questions

Hi Guys,

Rather than hide it in one of my previous posts I thought I'd put this stuff here and see if anyone had any thoughts;

- The MY18 onwards SVR seats - is there a knack to getting them more comfortable, I've played around with the lumbar support a bit and that's made them 80% better but my lower back is still not entirely happy with them compared to the standard Autobiography seats . . . Think I've got this sorted now.

- Is it just me or does access height on the SVR not go as low as on the normal RRS cars? The MY19 SDV6 Autobiography I had before this seemed to go lower when in access height mode. My car won't start going down until I open the door, is that normal? Is this a tyre thing as they seem bigger? 285/40/22 vs 275/40/22 didn't think 10mm would be that much difference.

- Have they banished InControl Apps on MY20 cars? Not that I use it but its gone without a trace lol.

- In addition to the questions above, does anyone find the stop/start a bit umm noticeable on these 5 litre cars?

Thanks
DM

Finally - getting some rattles from the tailgate and roof (270 miles on the clock), last MY19 RRS I had was almost silent! Got another Friday afternoon job Razz - I know I've had them repaired before but people with tailgate and roof noise, what was the fix? I think its re-alignment or something? Non JLR Vehicle

Post #586627 Mon Sep 09 2019 9:50pm
DangerMouseUK

- Is it just me or does access height on the SVR not go as low as on the normal RRS cars? The MY19 SDV6 Autobiography I had before this seemed to go lower when in access height mode. My car won't start going down until I open the door, is that normal? Is this a tyre thing as they seem bigger? 285/40/22 vs 275/40/22 didn't think 10mm would be that much difference.

No one here who's used an MY18+ SVR and normal car who can tell me if they both lower the same amount?

Would the wider tyre and offset in theory mean they set the access height to not be as low?

When you normally turn off either type of MY18+ car, are there any indications that it is doing its initial lowering? It does show on the centre console when I open the door that it is lowering but it doesn't show any initial lowering and the manual says when you turn off the ignition it initially lowers one amount, then on a door opening lowers even more.

However if you just open a door it does lower, but not as much as the combined two above.

If this is just an SVR thing then fine will have to invest in a set of deployables, but if my car isn't going into "full" access height mode then I might be able to save 3k !!! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #586662 Tue Sep 10 2019 2:19pm
GJW1

United Kingdom 

I never noticed that the SVR didnt lower as much as my old sport i image its the same.

My car only lowers when you open the door not by turning off the engine alone. At least it works on this model though as years ago it was hit a miss if it lowered or not.

I have fixed side steps even at access height i think you need a step otherwise its still a little bit of a jump.

Not had tailgate rattles or any rattles luckily mine is a rare fully working car at the moment Very Happy

Post #586678 Tue Sep 10 2019 7:29pm
DangerMouseUK

Hi GJW1

The MY18/MY19/MY20 cars go a lot lower than the previous cars, here's a copy and paste from the manual;

AUTO ACCESS HEIGHT
Note: Auto access height operation is
more efficient and smooth with the Electric
Parking Brake (EPB) applied and the brake
pedal completely released.
Auto access height automatically lowers
the electronic air suspension to the access
height setting, when the vehicle is parked.
See 164, ACCESS HEIGHT.
Select the Vehicle settings and
Convenience features instrument panel
menus to enable or disable the auto
access height feature. See 65,
INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU.
Auto access height only operates if:
• The suspension height is currently set
at normal height. See 162,
ELECTRONIC AIR SUSPENSION
CONTROLS.
• The transfer box is engaged in high
range. See 160, SELECTING HIGH
AND LOW RANGE.
• One of the following terrain response
driving programs is selected:
• AUTO.
• Comfort.
• Dynamic.
• Grass gravel snow.
See 177, TERRAIN RESPONSE
OPERATION.
Auto access height initially lowers the
suspension height up to 20 mm below the
normal height setting, after any of the
following events:
• The ignition is switched off.
• An occupied seat belt is unbuckled.
Note: If the second row outer seat
belts are buckled, then unbuckling the
centre seat belt does not initiate a
suspension height change.
Note: Unbuckling a third row seat belt
does not initiate a suspension height
change.
If a door is opened, after the initial
suspension lowering, auto access height
lowers the suspension to 50 mm below
the normal height setting.
Note: If a door is not subsequently
opened and the vehicle’s speed exceeds
25 mph (40 km/h), the suspension height
returns to the normal height setting.
Auto access height lowers the suspension
height to 40 mm below the normal height
setting, if a door is opened before any of
the following events:
• The ignition is switched off.
• An occupied seat belt is unbuckled.
To lower the vehicle to the full access
height setting, press the down button (2).
The full access height setting is 50 mm
below the normal height setting.
Auto access height can be activated until
90 seconds after the vehicle becomes
stationary.
Auto access height only operates once for
each time the vehicle is stationary. If
further operations are required while at
the same location, use the instrument
panel menus to disable and enable the
auto access feature again. Alternatively,
drive the vehicle at a speed above 7 km/h
(4 mph) for 3 seconds, or at a speed of
more than 15 km/h (9 mph).

So by my understanding of that, it lowers in two separate things or if done another way one thing. I think to be fair my car is doing both but due to the wider tyres they've set it to not lower as far as the standard car.

In a standard MY19 SDV6 Autobiography (with 22s) when it lowers I can get out and have a reasonably sure footed grip onto the ground, with the SVR I'm on my tip toes when I get out!!

Also lucky you on the rattles, the previous car as per above, had a few marks on the bolsters (was a used car) but was completely rattle free - I thought JLR had tightened up their game, but no, this one over rough surfaces gets some noises from the tailgate and roof - two of the specials across JLR cars from my past ownership experience!

Still really enjoying it though! Would like to try some 21s on it over winter and see if they provide a softer ride as the 22s in London can be a bit brutal over some of the surfaces.

If you or anyone else has used 21s & 22s on an SVR and have any insight that would be cool!!! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #586688 Tue Sep 10 2019 8:38pm
GJW1

United Kingdom 

Ive never noticed to be honest but then normally i dont press the button to turn the car off as when it goes into stop start mode and you take off your seatbelt the car switches off and i then open the door.

Post #586697 Tue Sep 10 2019 11:06pm
DangerMouseUK

Fair enough, will look into getting some deployables then whilst I figure out how to get out without adding wear to the seat bolster.

Saw this in the MY20 press kit;

Electrically Deployable Side Steps
We will now prewire all Range Rover Sports to facilitate the installation process. This will reduce installation times and minimize the amount of interior panels that need to be removed during installation.

So wondering if they're a bit cheaper now as well!

Can anyone pull a topix guide to fitting the deployables for an MY20 car to see if its a lot easier now? Non JLR Vehicle

Post #586700 Wed Sep 11 2019 12:18am
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Hi Danger , did not know you had bought an SVR, Congratulations.Mine lowers with seat belt removal no idea if it lowers the same amount as the AB though.
Stop start , i turn it off always.
Seats are fine for me very comfortable but they are firmer and less forgiving than the AB,s luxury seats.
I have a very slight door rattle now and then but that's it, the car has been perfect touch wood.

All the best and enjoy.

Yes, the seat bolster edges are scrapped when you get out i have placed some tape on these areas so hope that will help. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #586813 Thu Sep 12 2019 7:23pm
DangerMouseUK

Hi SVR575

Thanks !! Enjoying it overall Smile

Yeah I've got the right setting on the seats now but I have to sit dead central in them for it to be comfortable and they actually now cause me less back discomfort than the AB seats as long as I sit exactly right in them !!

Yeah I've started to just turn off the start stop as long as I'm not in the centre of London.

Whats happened to your seat bolster edges and what tape have you used? Yours is only a year old right?

Thanks will try to enjoy it Smile

Have attached a picture of my drivers bolster after a couple of hundred miles

Click image to enlarge

Thanks! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #586840 Fri Sep 13 2019 12:41am
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Hi Danger, no mine is on the side bolster , i feel i scrape it as i get out so i have just added some black duck tape were i touch it just to protect it a bit and so far it is now fine . SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #586942 Sat Sep 14 2019 11:53am
JPR

United Kingdom 

In all honesty, the best SVR was the original, when I had my 2016 one, i thought WOW cant wait for the facelift these things will be unreal and all I can say is the SVR is getting worse and worse every 6 months, quiter, more boring, more buggy, cheaper interior the list goes on, I cant see myself getting back into the JLR fold for a long time because they are just not anywhere near the spec of the likes of mercedes, porsche etc now Current

McLAren 720s
2019 G63 AMG
2018 Bentayga

---------------------------------------------
Previous

2019 AMG GTR
2018 Urban SVR
2018 Urban FFRR
2018 AMG E63s Edition1
2018 SVR Rejected from Stratstone Teesside !
2017 G63 AMG 463 Edition
2017 M3 CP
2017 C63s AMG Edition 1 Motorsport
2016 RRS SVR
2016 Bentley GT Speed 626
2015 Audi RS6
2015 FFRR
2014 Bentley GTC V8
2014 Audi RS7
2011 Lumma CLR GT558
2014 BMW M3 F80
2010 BMW X5
2006 FFRR SC
2005 RRS HSE

Post #586970 Sat Sep 14 2019 7:26pm
DangerMouseUK

Thanks SVR575 will see how mine goes I guess Smile

JPR I hear you I had the same issues with JLR, however having been out and about in the marketplace there's nothing else really out there for me so back I come Smile

Has anyone ridden an SVR back to back on 21s vs 22s - how does the ride compare?

22s in London with SVR suspension is hard work !! Out onto a nicer road and they're lovely though.

Got some 21s sorted gonna swap em over and put the 22s in my garage for a bit and see how it goes !

First time I've ever gone down a size !! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #586976 Sat Sep 14 2019 8:47pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

JPR, i must say that there is nothing from Mercedes or Porsche that i would change the SVR for in all honesty SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #586990 Sun Sep 15 2019 9:09am
JPR

United Kingdom 

Problem is for most the offering from Mercedes and Porsche are a lot more than the SVR, the G63 is probably the most superior 4x4 out there in terms of its ability, unrefined luxury and technology that makes JLR stuff look prehistoric. Urus is just a very very fast and expensive SUV, the bentayga again blows the socks off any JLR marque in comparisons to quality and speed.

JLR are just lacking on every aspect at the moment. Current

McLAren 720s
2019 G63 AMG
2018 Bentayga

---------------------------------------------
Previous

2019 AMG GTR
2018 Urban SVR
2018 Urban FFRR
2018 AMG E63s Edition1
2018 SVR Rejected from Stratstone Teesside !
2017 G63 AMG 463 Edition
2017 M3 CP
2017 C63s AMG Edition 1 Motorsport
2016 RRS SVR
2016 Bentley GT Speed 626
2015 Audi RS6
2015 FFRR
2014 Bentley GTC V8
2014 Audi RS7
2011 Lumma CLR GT558
2014 BMW M3 F80
2010 BMW X5
2006 FFRR SC
2005 RRS HSE

Post #586998 Sun Sep 15 2019 11:58am
DangerMouseUK

Hey JPR,

Your list is a list I've been through many a time but for me none of them are really what I want from a car.

I don't like the G styling at all (personal preference on that one).
Not a big Urus fan either in terms of the interior styling or the overall off-road possibilities for the car. I also think the design is a bit too aggressive, but again that's just me.

The Bentley is the one that comes closest to being in the same segment as the JLR vehicles but its styling is not personally for me, its a bit of an older gentleman's car along with say the full size Range Rover, so its not really a vehicle I would look at.

The one I WOULD consider in the right trim and spec is the Audi SQ8 but apparently the engine has been severely restricted due to emissions and doesn't play well at all. Another I really like is the new Mercedes GLS but waiting to see if they do it in anything other than 400d format.

With all that being said I thing the RRS is in a really good market segment, it's just let down by horrendous QC and build quality, which is a real shame as the cars themselves when they are working are second to none. No matter where I drifted I always end up coming back. They're also getting a bit too special with their pricing but that's another topic and I guess is more subjective than the rest of the points. Non JLR Vehicle

Post #587005 Sun Sep 15 2019 1:18pm
GJW1

United Kingdom 

I would have to agree the original SVR was a better car for enjoyment. It just put a smile on your face every time.

Its a real shame it was messed with to tone it down as the interior changes are an improvement.

Im bored of the current model SVR already sadly after 6 months but i dont think there is a better car for me on the market to change to.

Post #587089 Mon Sep 16 2019 10:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>