RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > "Never Settle" - 10.25" screen install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange
"Never Settle" - 10.25" screen install

So as some of you may know, I embarked on a long journey to shoehorn a 8.8" Android head unit into the OEM stereo's location.

The fruits of this can be found HERE. Albeit with no pictures of the final setup using Android Auto in lieu of a custom interface. The reasons for this were simple. It's complicated, eats resource (RAM) and requires a plethora of apps and even then it cannot be made uniform, so I reverted to Android Auto and Head Unit Reloaded (HUR) App instead.

Well, stealing the OnePlus motto "Never Settle" that's what I'm doing. Ever since I embarked on the 8.8" build I noticed that Chinese manufactures where offering 10.25" Android Head Units for specific vehicles, with direct integration into their existing systems, like BMW, Audi Mercedes etc.

Unfortunately, there was no "universal" offering, until recently when Joying brought out an head unit in 10.25 format Very Happy

So here we are...

I've made a poor 'photoshop' mock-up below to show the final layout:

Click image to enlarge

I used a press shot, simply because I'll never get such a 'high quality' photo of my dash.

As you can see it all should work, subject to how I finish the details. The center vents are from a Toyota Camry. The HVAC controls would be relocated up and a fininshing strip added below to 'make-up' the difference in height from the OEM stereo fascia.

Then a storage area would be created where the HVAC used to be, possibly with wireless charging and USB cables. How I will finish the closing of the old HVAC vents I have yet to decide, but probably fibreglass and body filler followed by piano black paint finish. The OEM screen would also be gone and the 4x4 screen unavailable as a result, but, I can accept that.

Here are two photos of a very preliminary mock-ups showing the the Camry vents should fit with some adjustment, and the curvature is almost identical to the OAM Noble Chrome sides which is a result. I would need to profile the HVAC vent frame to match the existing OEM style with the raised center, before painting piano black. Also the center vents would be bonded to the chrome finishers to provide rigidity and integrity.

Next step is to make a temporary blanking plate for the OEM screen and remove it. This will allow me to see if (without modifying the cars HVAC ducts) I can run custom ducts from the OEM center ducts to the Camry pick up points, behind any blanking plates to the existing vent locations. If this can be done, then I would say I have proof of concept and would continue the build. If not then it stops here before investing too much money and time.

If this goes ahead then, again I'd use Android Auto and HUR App to manage the system, unless I can 'develop' a better interface with fewer apps and those used, being uniform. The biggest hurdle is getting night and day modes working otherwise with such a large screen the interior will be lit like a disco at night... Laughing

So what do you think? Yes? No? Maybe?

Let me know your thoughts, good bad or indifferent.

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Last edited by Guyzer73 on Sun Nov 10 2019 7:09pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #580482 Wed May 08 2019 8:03am
SRE

Spain 

You do love playing about/modding your Sport Bow down

Always love the Colour of your car as well Thumbs Up In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #580484 Wed May 08 2019 9:04am
Guyzer73

SRE,

Laughing I know, especially when I can find better solutions than being offered elsewhere. With a tweak here and there the old RRS interior would become current, the biggest challenge there is to remove all the green LED lighting...

Thanks I still like the colour but, am contemplating a change to this colour (not car):

Porsche Oak Green metallic, with a gloss black roof and rims...

But don't tell the wife Rolling with laughter

Post #580493 Wed May 08 2019 10:18am
Guyzer73

So made some progress...

The 8.8 unit will be up for sale shortly in the for sale section if anyone's interested.

I got hold of the new 10.25" screen. Nice piece of kit, but with some teething problems. However, with some decent bench testing I've got majority of the interface/ software issues resolved except the SWCs. But I'm confident I can get that working also with some effort.

The question now is where to put the screen...

This is the easy location and retain the OEM screen between the vents...

This my preferred

And this a mock-up of how it'll look

Click image to enlarge

The latter, preferred location will require some serious work in remodelling the fascia as well as making new AC ducts for the Range Rover vents, but would give a very cool and unique finish to this project.

What you all think??

Cheers

Post #586104 Fri Aug 30 2019 7:38pm
Rossk3107

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hey mate nice little project ๐Ÿ‘ I personally prefer the 2nd option. I like the height of the sat nav screen better than down at the stereo. I attached my iPad Pro in front of the sat nav screen n luv it there ๐Ÿ‘ look forward to seeing your finished product Present : 2007 RRS 3.6 TDV8
Present : Merc A class AMG
Previous : 2015 Evoque Black edition
Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
RRS 2.7 TDV6
BMW X5 3.0

Post #586107 Fri Aug 30 2019 8:51pm
Rossk3107

Present : 2007 RRS 3.6 TDV8
Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
RRS 2.7 TDV6
BMW X5 3.0

Post #586114 Fri Aug 30 2019 10:06pm
Guyzer73

Damn Rossk3107 that's a huge tablet install!!

I've some progress whilst i wait for parts....

Going for the preferred raised option:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now need to sort the HVAC plumbing...

And finally the fascia to tie it all together.... 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...

Post #586536 Sun Sep 08 2019 4:50pm
Rossk3107

Thatโ€™s looking great mate ๐Ÿ‘ looking forward to seeing it all completed. Yes itโ€™s far to big I am Going to swap it out for my Samsung tablet. Present : 2007 RRS 3.6 TDV8
Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
RRS 2.7 TDV6
BMW X5 3.0

Post #586537 Sun Sep 08 2019 4:58pm
Gerd1986

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Looks fantastic! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Post #586547 Sun Sep 08 2019 6:39pm
Guyzer73

Cheers Gerd1986,

Long way to go. Have some interesting ideas for the surround, but, first need to sort out the HVAC as currently dying in this heat(humidity) without proper AC....

Waiting for some Ewok dashboard vents to install in the 'hole' where the old HU used to be. Then make some ducting back to the existing HVAC points at back of dash, which will be interesting and challenging in that tight space...

After that I can take my time with the finishing touches and try and sort out the firmware as I'm really not happy with it.

In my old HU from Seicane I had something called "Intelligent Sound Priority", this basically prioritised the media as to what was playing at the time. But the biggest bonus was that it meant that I never had a silent moment because if Google Music/ Player Pro etc. stopped then the radio would automatically 'start'as it seems to run in the background if other media apps are running. This only worked however if the radio app was started at boot, if not you had to open the radio app to get this to work. Unfortunately the Joying unit doesn't do this and I can't find a way around this with Tasker etc. Any ideas??

Cheers

Post #586564 Mon Sep 09 2019 6:49am
Guyzer73

So had a play at getting the unit a bit more level and vibration free...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also, as we're off for a weekend at a nice hotel, wanted to at least hide some of the cables etc and placed the old screen back in, albeit, without the back box...

Click image to enlarge

Now I'm in the quandary that I rather like this set-up and am wondering how I can achieve this without too many complications, bearing in mind I still need to locate the central HVAC vents....

Any ideas anybody??? 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...

Post #586855 Fri Sep 13 2019 8:11am
Gerd1986

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Guyzer73 wrote:
Cheers Gerd1986,

Long way to go. Have some interesting ideas for the surround, but, first need to sort out the HVAC as currently dying in this heat(humidity) without proper AC....

Waiting for some Ewok dashboard vents to install in the 'hole' where the old HU used to be. Then make some ducting back to the existing HVAC points at back of dash, which will be interesting and challenging in that tight space...

After that I can take my time with the finishing touches and try and sort out the firmware as I'm really not happy with it.

In my old HU from Seicane I had something called "Intelligent Sound Priority", this basically prioritised the media as to what was playing at the time. But the biggest bonus was that it meant that I never had a silent moment because if Google Music/ Player Pro etc. stopped then the radio would automatically 'start'as it seems to run in the background if other media apps are running. This only worked however if the radio app was started at boot, if not you had to open the radio app to get this to work. Unfortunately the Joying unit doesn't do this and I can't find a way around this with Tasker etc. Any ideas??

Cheers

Guy

I use DAB-Z for radio, this uses a USB adapter and has an option to boot up when it recognises the USB device.

Post #586867 Fri Sep 13 2019 10:42am
Guyzer73

Thanks Gerd1986, but ideally like to keep the FM radio and more importantly it's the changeover that I want to get sort.

Anyway software issues can be resolved later as generally it works, just not how I want it to.

However, my LR Ewok center HVAC vents arrived today and 8 had a quick play and butchered a spare double DIN fascia.

Think the results speak for themselves and is the way forward as I see no practical way of having two screens. I may even look at additional vents below the touch screen as I have some Camry vents that fit.

Here's a couple photos of the Ewok vent fitted and taped up.

Click image to enlarge

Sorry. Can't get damn photos to show in correct orientation Confused

Lete know your thoughts.

Cheers

Post #587014 Sun Sep 15 2019 3:07pm
Guyzer73

Thanks Gerd1986, but ideally like to keep the FM radio and more importantly it's the changeover that I want to get sort.

Anyway software issues can be resolved later as generally it works, just not how I want it to.

However, my LR Ewok center HVAC vents arrived today and 8 had a quick play and butchered a spare double DIN fascia.

Think the results speak for themselves and is the way forward as I see no practical way of having two screens. I may even look at additional vents below the touch screen as I have some Camry vents that fit.

Here's a couple photos of the Ewok vent fitted and taped up.

Click image to enlarge

Sorry. Can't get damn photos to show in correct orientation Confused

Lete know your thoughts.

Cheers

Post #587016 Sun Sep 15 2019 5:08pm
Guyzer73

So a small update.

Whilst sticking with the raised screen, I am changing the layout to this:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Going have the vents directly below the screen to keep the ducting as simple as possible.

This will also allow me to raise the HVAC controls and create extra storage at the bottom.

I'll initially use a blanked hazard warning switch to close the gap, but ultimately may look to installing a USB DVD player in the space...

What you think?

Have a great weekend

Post #590121 Fri Nov 08 2019 6:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>