garrycol

Australia 

You said it Cool 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #585093 Thu Aug 08 2019 12:39pm
rangemogger

Spain 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 SE Rimini Red

Towing is not the same as recovery , at least in a a propper offroad vehicule. The load is transfered by the towing point , recovery point(a bolt with a bush) and two bolts through a thing metal plate ...in a lateral recovery with a strap or winching , sadly , I think is going to flex and brake Censored . For that reason the vertical load is not so high (75-350 kg).Here you can read `Not adequately rated for offroad´ https://www.mitchhitch.com.au/products/mitch-hitch TdV8 mapped and egr deleted , 265/60 r18 on Compomotive rims , Navarricos underbody protection , custom rocksliders , Devon44 hidden winch 9500i , IIDTool

Post #585099 Thu Aug 08 2019 5:26pm
HughN

Wales 

∆∆∆ Generally, LR recovery points are pretty solid.

Post #585106 Thu Aug 08 2019 8:16pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

That video is showing the strength of the chassis - the load isn't carried by the recovery point, I believe. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #585108 Thu Aug 08 2019 8:58pm
rangemogger

The recovey point is rock solid , but the bush inside the tow bar is not and will flex , the load will go also to the towing point and two other bolts , at the end is like use OEM detachable tow bar as arecovery point -->dangerous!! TdV8 mapped and egr deleted , 265/60 r18 on Compomotive rims , Navarricos underbody protection , custom rocksliders , Devon44 hidden winch 9500i , IIDTool

Post #585110 Thu Aug 08 2019 9:41pm
garrycol

Australia 

rangemogger wrote:
Here you can read `Not adequately rated for offroad´ https://www.mitchhitch.com.au/products/mitch-hitch

You need to read that again - they were referring to the OEM LR tow bar.

"The standard Land Rover hitch issues below;
Difficult to remove, especially if the locking mechanism seizes or fills up with mud or foreign matter.
You're unable to remove the spare wheel with the standard Land Rover tow attachment fitted (Discovery 3 and RRS Only), can you imagine what it's like to remove the tow attachment if you've got a 3500kg van on the back and you're not on flat ground?
Trailer/Caravan may not tow level with the vehicle without the use of additional equipment which adds cost and weight and complications to the whole assembly.
Hangs too low, especially when off road. Has been known to fail, we have photographic evidence to show where the standard hitches have failed, probably subjected to excessive or repeated impacts.
Not adequately rated for offroad."

This tow bar is rated much higher than any Uk fit tow bar - but then our RRS are rated at 350kg tow ball weight where Uk cars are rated much less.

On the strength of the bush you are making assumptions that do not apply and are not correct. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #585113 Fri Aug 09 2019 3:24am
rangemogger

I know that the OEM towbar is not offroad rated , but the other also , they don´t siad suitable to recovey or something like that ... maybe because they use same fitting points plus a bushed recovery point. IMO it´s like use one single engine bump and a rigid fix in the other railframe .
I would like to be mistaken on that and you never have a single trouble. TdV8 mapped and egr deleted , 265/60 r18 on Compomotive rims , Navarricos underbody protection , custom rocksliders , Devon44 hidden winch 9500i , IIDTool

Post #585121 Fri Aug 09 2019 1:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12