RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > The Ridgeway and Berks/Wilts Downs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

HughN

Wales 
The Ridgeway and Berks/Wilts Downs

I drove about 70 miles on/around The Ridgeway yesterday (under the guidance of 4x4 Adventure Tours (with whom I have no affiltiation)). There were two groups of six vehicles, mostly Defenders/Series III's, a couple of Pajeros and a D2, with a GLASS rep leading one group. We crossed between Wiltshire, Berkshire and back again. A minimal amount of driving on normal roads.

Fantastic views, lots of wild flowers, an occasional Kite and some Partridge (not the 'orrible French ones). Apart from one dog-walker, we didn't come across any other people/vehicles (part of the reason for a weekday trip). A couple of the lanes can't have been driven for a while as the gap between the vegetation on either side was about eighteen inches. It is now 'RRS size' but I am not precious about the paintwork on a thirteen-year old car. Very, very dusty - it would have been a give-away for any Apache or Cherokee tracking us; even with a raised air intake my car sucked in lots of dust.

I think we had to move one fallen tree and - unbelievably - a pile of fly-tipped rubbish in the middle of nowhere.

Atypically, I didn't record any video and didn't get any photos of the really overgrown bit but a taste of the flavour of the trip is shown here.

Two days in South Wales next weekend! Wink

Post #583911 Sat Jul 13 2019 9:32am
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Sounds awesome Hugh Thumbs Up

I'd love to get stuck in to some of the trails you do, but I value my paintwork too much!

Please let us know how it goes in South Wales next weekend. It's my homeland and I am back fairly regularly to visit family. Providing it's not scratchy, I'd love to do some exploring around that way so please let us know what route you take. Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #583918 Sat Jul 13 2019 10:59am
HughN

Wales 

Will do, Kev.

All being well, my family and I are moving down that way next month so I'm keen to see what's around!

Post #583921 Sat Jul 13 2019 11:11am
HughN

Wales 

It was very dusty!

Post #583922 Sat Jul 13 2019 11:13am
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

HughN wrote:
Will do, Kev.

All being well, my family and I are moving down that way next month so I'm keen to see what's around!

Whereabouts?!

I've just got my RRS back today since virtually the last time you were in S Wales! Ended up needing a new ARC controller and a new compressor (as well as the rear squeaky thing) but around me, time is a different concept though the labour rate is good and the service excellent.

Now going to try and fix the central locking as I think the wiring on the passenger side sill got a dunking when we were out and its corroded (This Fix)

If you're on Facebook, join the Bonkas4x4 page. Its a pretty active group of southern Welsh 4x4 enthusiasts. Regular lane days and Pay N Plays. They also do snow taxi for NHS when it gets bad.

Maybe see you soon!

Post #583923 Sat Jul 13 2019 11:34am
HughN

Wales 

knwatkins wrote:
Sounds awesome Hugh Thumbs Up

I'd love to get stuck in to some of the trails you do, but I value my paintwork too much!

Please let us know how it goes in South Wales next weekend. It's my homeland and I am back fairly regularly to visit family. Providing it's not scratchy, I'd love to do some exploring around that way so please let us know what route you take.

Sut dych chi? (I think?)

The bits I did were very scratchy in places but the more open parts were OK. Most of the routes were very close to Rhonda, on either side of the valley, including one through the golf club. Not being rude about the people of Rhonda, but people did stop and stare at five 4x4 in a row!

Post #584266 Sun Jul 21 2019 7:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1