RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Multiple Faults but resets when switched off and on.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Robg2271

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Multiple Faults but resets when switched off and on.

I'm really hoping someone can help with this one as its driving me MAD!!!

We have a 2007 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6.

We bought it and drove it 200 miles home... not a problem... drove it fine for 2 weeks, not a problem..

Then all of a sudden we were driving and the car went ding.... and lights came on. We had the suspension lowering, transmission failure, abs fault and parking brake fault all at once. We switched the car off and back on and it was gone... and we carried on the journey until the next day when it happened again.... and has been happening between 2 and 20 times a day.

We thought it could be the battery, so we swapped it with by brand new one from my Discovery which was the same rating. That didnt help.

We noticed there wasnt as much charge going into the battery and it was going down to below 11v. So we changed the alternator. After this the fault didnt come back for about a week. But the next day we did get a engine management light which said there was an EGR fault (the EGRs have been deleted). When the fault did start occurring again the engine management light went out. It almost seemed like the car had the engine management light on, which was cutting out a system and stopping the original fault from occurring

We also changed a brake peddle switch as they were cheap to replace and someone suggested this (although it was a long shot for the £6 it cost to replace it was worth a shot). Were now at a stage where we have no idea what to try next. We haven't managed to plug in with the lights on because it always happens somewhere stupid (like a roundabout) and because it goes into limp mode there is no power so we have to switch it on and off to get power restored to pull out.

The only thing I have noticed that's different about the engines between my discovery 3 and range rover is 2 grey plugs on the top of the engine which are not plugged in on the range rover, but are on the disocvery. I have no idea what it's for.... I will include the picture of plug and place of it. I'm hoping it just something stupid like when the engine was swapped someone missed something... but for now I am just stumped. I have looked everywhere on the internet and people are having similar problems..... but nothing exactly the same.

If anyone can give any advise I would really appreciate it.

Sorry about how long that was Laughing

Post #583823 Thu Jul 11 2019 3:37pm
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Check the passenger foot well under the mats for damp. Do you have a sun roof?

Also search this site for instrument dials/gauges fault for similar symptoms. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #583829 Thu Jul 11 2019 6:50pm
Robg2271

Thanks, I'll have a look on the site.

There is no water in foot well and it doesnt have a sunroof....

Post #583836 Thu Jul 11 2019 8:08pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I seem to recall that there is one other silly thing that this forum recommends and that is even more weird than the brake light switch. It is the rear brake light bulbs. If they play up, it can throw all sorts of things out. So for a relatively modest outlay, buy two new good quality bulbs and replace yours.
Have you taken it to a local indie to have fault codes read? That may give you more info.... Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #583849 Fri Jul 12 2019 7:13am
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Yes, I was going to suggest replacing the brake light bulbs with a couple of good quality OEM ones.

It hasn’t had an LED bulb “upgrade” has it?

Jim

Post #583853 Fri Jul 12 2019 9:17am
Robg2271

It hasn't had any led upgrades to the brake bulbs but it has had LED upgrades to a couple orminterior lights which were blown when we bought it.... but the problem did happen before we changed them.

I'll definatly have a look at the brake bulbs. The only other bulb I have noticed out is the full beam bulb so I'll be getting that replaced as well.

I'll let you know if we have any success with this!

Post #583857 Fri Jul 12 2019 9:48am
Robg2271

Eaters wrote:
I seem to recall that there is one other silly thing that this forum recommends and that is even more weird than the brake light switch. It is the rear brake light bulbs. If they play up, it can throw all sorts of things out. So for a relatively modest outlay, buy two new good quality bulbs and replace yours.
Have you taken it to a local indie to have fault codes read? That may give you more info....

We have taken it to have the codes read and all it showed was the EGR fault which then cleared and hasn't come back since... we've never been in a good enough situation where we can get it somewhere with the lights on which has been a pain. I'm sure if all the warning lights were on and it was read it would probably give us the answer. But it's so unpredictable that we never know where were going to be when it decides to happen.

Post #583859 Fri Jul 12 2019 9:50am
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Really frustrating. But I believe that if the system registers a fault then it stores it (even if subsequently resolved??? - can someone confirm this?) until it is reset. So it should show up on a fault read even if the fault is not currently active. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #583860 Fri Jul 12 2019 9:53am
Robg2271

When we had it plugged in it didnt show any extra faults or messages.

Does anyone know if the EGR valves being removed could cause this?
Does anyone know what the 2 electrical connectors in the photos are on either side of the engine?

Thanks again for replies!

Post #583875 Fri Jul 12 2019 2:12pm
Chan

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Limp mode on incline

Same issues, limp mode on slight incline. I changed everything...brake switch, fuel rail, injectors, transmission rad and cooler, coolat flush and fill, also had new turbo, tons more problems whilst replacing all that, but limp mode is back. Last problem other than limp is low coolant level, and not so. I think it is tranny overheat in my case. Does RRS have a transmission oil pump. It must have to feed the rad and cooler? Can't find one for sale. Can't find diagram. However I will change brake light bulbs, Cannot be this that will cause limp mode at same place on same hills. My problem doesn't happen in the wet. I am in Cambodia 36deg and hot hot roads. Any advice on tranny oil pump? All other probs are A.o.k. now Also had CV joints and suspension bushes. Also had engine re-build when the garage lost a spring in the cylinder. Major money spent and still have limp mode on small hill with nowhere to pull over. RR garage had the car with the problem, spent 5,000 on timing belt and tensioners, oils, diagnostics. Still have limp mode on the same hill. Definatly heat related. Had car 1 year now 20,000 km and not fixed.
2008 RRS HSE

Post #584082 Wed Jul 17 2019 5:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1