RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > ANDROID HEAD UNIT INSTALL TUTORIAL
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

M9G UK

United Kingdom 
ANDROID HEAD UNIT INSTALL TUTORIAL

Before I start I would like to say a HUGE thankyou to Andy K for his help with this install and to johnrambo for suggesting connects2 for the harness and scrumpy for recommending IncarTech. Cheers guys Thumbs Up

ADMIN - I wonder if maybe this could be sticky?

This install is for an RRS WITHOUT amp and fibre optic cables so the speakers are wired from the head unit but I would think it would be very similar for the ones with amp and fibre optics and would just require a different harness that is available

You WILL have steering wheel controls

Be aware you will lose the top satnav/4x4 screen but extra cables are available to connect it but they are quite expensive but can be sourced from IncarTech. I find the IGO satnav app better than the RR satnav

Total install time was approx 4 hours

Both Xtrons and Connects2 have good support and are very helpful, on their websites all the products have great tutorials and videos

HEAD UNIT - XTRONS TA708PIL
http://xtrons.co.uk/7-android-8-1-quad-cor...utput.html

HARNESS AND FACIA KIT - CONNECTS2 CTKLR03
http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTKLR03

I purchased both of these from fleabay as they were a lot cheaper than buying direct from the manufacturer

I would imagine although this install is for an Xtrons head unit it would pretty much apply to any double din android unit

IMPORTANT!!!!!!! - read the manuals and paperwork that comes with the head unit and harness as there is info you will need especially regarding the multilead connector from Connects2 the one with the looped green, orange and purple wires

This is my original head unit

Unclip the facia, use a removal tool and lift the sides away as in the picture, it will easily unclip and you can just pull it away

Turn ignition to position 2 and put the stick into neutral
Hold the gear knob and pull upwards, it will just lift off

Using a philips screwdriver undo the one screw either side

Using removal tool lift the back of the centre consol either side and unclip the panel

Lift centre consol out the way

Using a star drive undo the six (3 either side) star bolts holding the head unit and the small panel across the top of the head unit

Pull out head unit and unclip the connectors from the back

Sit the cage into the facia panel and bend the tabs on the cage to secure it into the facia panel

Fit facia panel

The GPS receiver needs to be installed, stick the receiver on the top of the windscreen in the middle behind the rear view mirror and run the cable behind the roof liner across to the passenger side piller trim.

Pull the door rubber away from the pillar trim and run the cable down behind the trim

Take the wifi receiver and fit it behind the bottom of the pillar trim, don't take the sticky backing off in case you ever want to remove in the future if you sell the car, it will wedge in between the door pillar and the trim panel

Run the two cables (GPS and wifi) down the door pillar, pull down the lower glovebox it will unclip and run the two wires across to the centre console then up behind the dash and out through the cage for the head unit

USB cables next, obviously you can fit these where ever you like, I found it easiest to fit into the top glovebox as its near the head unit and easily accessible for charging phones and attaching usb sticks. drill a hole in the side of the glovebox, its only plastic then take a knife or small saw and cut a rectangle, feed the usb cables through and keep removing more of the plastic until the USB ports fit snug and secure

The Range Rover has an aerial amplifier so needs a switch live feed
The illumination for the head unit needs to be connected to the dash illumination

This is done by connecting two wires to the cigar lighter under the centre consol that you have just removed, one to the green live feed and the other to the red wire going to the cigar lighter bulb. Run the wires up behind the heater control and out through the head unit cage

Connect the wire from the live switch feed from the cigar lighter to the blue wire on the Connects2 harness
Connect the wire from the bulb feed from the cigar lighter to the orange ILL wire on the head unit loom (I used connectors so they can be un-plugged in the future if need be.

On the Connects2 multilead harness you will see three wires with KEY1, KEY 2 and GND on them, these need to be joined to the same ones coming from the head unit, but all three might not need to be connected depending on what head unit you have purchased and you will need to check the install diagram that came with the multilead. For this xtrons unit all three do need to be connected

These wires will enable you to open the steering wheel app on the head unit and program the steering wheel controls

DO NOT PLUG THE RANGE ROVER CONNECTOR INTO THE HARNESS YET - IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THIS IS LAST

Connect the Connects2 harness to the head unit harness and plug the multilead connector and the loom connector into the canbus module

Plug in the other cables i.e. GPS, WIFI, Aerial, both USB and any other cables you want to plug in for example the av cables

When all cables are connected and you are ready to install the head unit into the cage then you can plug in the original Range Rover harness into the Connects2 harness

Fit the head unit into the cage, this is quite difficult because of all the wires and block connectors but as a tip I actually found it easier to take the facia back off, fit the head unit into the cage and then screw the facia back into place

Refit the centre consol, it is easier fitting the dash end first then clipping the back end down after
Refit the gearknob, just push it down until it clicks into place

Thats it job done Thumbs Up

You can park outside your house and connect to the wifi or use your phone as a hotspot and connect to that and download wallpaper or put on micro SD card and change it in the settings on the head unit.

Also in the settings you can change the startup logo, it has most car manufcaturers built into the head unit so you can just change it

The satnav I downloaded IGO on the head unit via the play strore, its really good and accurate, its a 7 day trial and then its £24 for Europe map which i think is well worth it or you can use any satnav app of your choice or just use google maps

Music can be put on an SD card and plugged into the front of the head unit

Hope this helps some of you Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2008 RRS 2.7TD in Stornoway grey, black leather and 22 inch alloys
Xtrons Android head unit
Smile

Last edited by M9G UK on Sat Mar 02 2019 9:13pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #576225 Sat Mar 02 2019 7:39pm
skid1963

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Nice write up, how much all in then???

Post #576231 Sat Mar 02 2019 8:41pm
M9G UK

United Kingdom 

£160 for the head unit
£70 for the harness

so £230 all in

This is my second Xtrons head unit and I think they are amazing

It was an extra £24 for purchasing the europe map for IGO satnav when I installed it but obviously this is optional and a few quid for a micro SD card but i had one anyway 2008 RRS 2.7TD in Stornoway grey, black leather and 22 inch alloys
Xtrons Android head unit
Smile

Post #576232 Sat Mar 02 2019 8:46pm
Cherrymobile1

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi great write up I going to fit this , does the steering wheel controls work on this set up .

Post #582229 Wed Jun 12 2019 4:10am
M9G UK

United Kingdom 

Hi yes they do, you program them on the head unit, easy to do

Good luck and let me know if you need help

If you look for the model on ebay it's cheaper than off their website 2008 RRS 2.7TD in Stornoway grey, black leather and 22 inch alloys
Xtrons Android head unit
Smile

Post #582230 Wed Jun 12 2019 5:54am

Spain 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

great tutorial mate. RRS 2006 2.7TD BLACK (MY FIRST RR!!!!)
RRS 2008 3.6 V8 SILVER/GREY (WIFES XMAS PRESENT)

Last edited by 03184 on Mon Jun 17 2019 9:36am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #582231 Wed Jun 12 2019 6:10am
M9G UK

United Kingdom 

Fitting another head unit will loose your satnav screen as it is linked to your original stereo

There is a way of doing it by taking your original stereo apart and fitting it in behind the dash somewhere and you will need an extra harness from connects2 2008 RRS 2.7TD in Stornoway grey, black leather and 22 inch alloys
Xtrons Android head unit
Smile

Post #582233 Wed Jun 12 2019 6:38am

Yep. I bought the incartec kit when i did mine with the extra bits to get sat nav screen and remote on the wheels. I think its not working as the guy didnt wire up the the gubbins to the original amp. RRS 2006 2.7TD BLACK (MY FIRST RR!!!!)

Post #582234 Wed Jun 12 2019 6:40am
M9G UK

United Kingdom 

Just remember if your vehicle has the standard amp under the drivers seat and fibre optic cables then you will need a completely different harness 2008 RRS 2.7TD in Stornoway grey, black leather and 22 inch alloys
Xtrons Android head unit
Smile

Post #582236 Wed Jun 12 2019 7:04am

yes I believe that all came in the incartec package. Investigating later today. RRS 2006 2.7TD BLACK (MY FIRST RR!!!!)

Post #582237 Wed Jun 12 2019 7:23am
Cherrymobile1

Thanks I've priced the unit up and wiring on ebay , thanks

T

M9G UK wrote:
Hi yes they do, you program them on the head unit, easy to do

Good luck and let me know if you need help

If you look for the model on ebay it's cheaper than off their website
yy

Post #582260 Wed Jun 12 2019 1:59pm
Cherrymobile1

Hi thanks for all the advice I've priced the unit up and connectors' ebay Thumbs Up

Post #582261 Wed Jun 12 2019 2:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1