RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > Option 2017 RRS 3.0L Mark V Hybrid HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

risto3

France 
Option 2017 RRS 3.0L Mark V Hybrid HSE

Hi, I found this forum as I'm seriously considering upgrading my 2004 Freelander TD5 HSE to a MY2017 Range Sport 354cv hybrid. Yesterday we took a test drive in 'our neck of the woods' and have some concerns.

1. We live, for lack of a better way to say it, on a hillside served by a small, rather poorly upkept communal single track lane that, at times, is paved ... that is there are usually more potholes and such than repaired macadam. A portion of the road is simply gravel and rocky. At the very low speed driven (10-20km/h) my wife's comment is that we're travelling in a popcorn popper with brisk left to right to left movement of the vehicle... front to back there's nothing particular to notice.
On other roads at faster speeds any bumps are hardly felt - noticeably more comfortable that the freelander.

My question is, I notice here and elsewhere the mention that anything with the air suspension needs absolutely the dynamic response which seemingly is unavailable on this hybrid (apparently on the parallel hybrid in general). Is there any relief to be found for this effect... if it wasn't for the fact that we'll be dailly hitting this "turbulence" I could tell my wife that we'd seldom encounter it, but as it stands I'm risking the frying pan treatment.

Perhaps there is a special setting to ease the effect such as staying in low?

I wonder if testing a non-hybrid with dynamic response is worth it, at least for comparison.

[edited 19/10]
[i] The sport has 275/45R21 tires... I'm wondering if these aren't contributing [significantly] to the problem as well (being too firm). My freelander has 215/65R16. That's quite a difference in rubber between the wheels and the ground (roughly 15mm per inch change).

It seems the sport has a red Brembo braking system. I'll have to talk today to the service department to see if I can put on 20" or even 19" wheels being probably much more useful for the forest service roads I need to navigate upon occasion.
[/i]

2. The seat comfort is worrisome... I don't really have anything negative for the drivers seat, but we are both somewhat
big and in particular my wife has extremely sensitive lower back (slipped disks)... She suffers in the rrs whereas in the freelander she's fine. The seat is rather narrow and the bolsters extremely firm - salesman wasn't able to do much
Do I understand correctly that the seats have changed somewhat recently (for the L494) and were better in other models?
Are there satisfactory mods that can be applied to the existing seats or worst case good replacement seats (compatible LR)
We have the standard heated/ventilated 12x12 seats.

3. Finally, the vehicule is still under factory warrantly for about two years but it is possible to get the extended warranty on LR APPROVED used vehicule, for example for 5 years, but apparently starting right away for 40€/m (~500€/yr). Is this not paying twice the same warranty?

Post #567224 Thu Oct 18 2018 9:39am
thomas brown

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Hi Risto3.

The Hev's have a stiffer suspension setup then all the normal L494 sports Anyway, they do have the dynamic setting on the terrain response too which will also stiffen up the ride with the shocks, make the throttle more responsive, gear changes etc.

The stiffer suspension makes up for the dynamic roll control plus I have 22's on mine which also helps with any roll.

I thought the same coming from a HSE Dynamic would I notice the roll but to be honest no I don't notice it, with stiffer suspension to begin with it really makes a difference Thumbs Up

Cheers.

Tom. Indus Silver / Santorini Black Roof MY16 Autobiography Dynamic Hybrid 354bhp. 22" Style 504 Alloys. Lunar Grey / Ebony Seats and Interior. Surround Cameras, Meridian Signature Reference sound system 1700watts, Adaptive cruise & Queue Assist, Blind spot closing vehicle , Adaptive Xenon Headlights, 4zone Climate, infra-red reflective glass, deployable side steps, and a few more extras .......

Post #567379 Sun Oct 21 2018 2:20pm
risto3

France 

I took delivery today... Cool! So far, seems a quite a bit better after reducing to low loading pressure on the tyres (2,3 bar front and 2,5bar rear)... it was sensibly higher as usual apparently set while in the dealers lot.

Will give the 21's a fair chance for the time being but still keeping the 20" option open for now.

Also, luckily for the seats, a simple pillow (!) with the back fully inflated and the sides fully deflated seems to be comfortable enough so we're happy there too.

Also, I was able to buy a 1 year LR extension to the 2year standard factory warranty period. Happy enough with that for now as I was able to avoid the LR proposed financing (at over twice the rate of my own bank).

BTW, I wanted to update my profile as an owner, but the model years stop at 2013(?!)... no hybrids either.
WTF?

Sad to retire the trusty '04 Freelander but am delighted with the HEV thus far!

Cheers then,

Post #568487 Wed Nov 07 2018 9:40pm
thomas brown

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Hi Risto3.

Glad your loving the hybrid. Keep us posted how you get on with it Thumbs Up

I'm certainly loving mine too Mr. Green

Tom. Indus Silver / Santorini Black Roof MY16 Autobiography Dynamic Hybrid 354bhp. 22" Style 504 Alloys. Lunar Grey / Ebony Seats and Interior. Surround Cameras, Meridian Signature Reference sound system 1700watts, Adaptive cruise & Queue Assist, Blind spot closing vehicle , Adaptive Xenon Headlights, 4zone Climate, infra-red reflective glass, deployable side steps, and a few more extras .......

Post #568494 Wed Nov 07 2018 11:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1