RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Suspension rasing rear ok front very slow advice needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRS2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Suspension rasing rear ok front very slow advice needed

I’ve noticed for the last few weeks when rasing from acces height the rear flys up but the front takes ages.

It used to spring up relatively evenly

Tried it today from cold, after a short drive to the supermarket, parked up at normal height raised it up to off road and it took a significant time to get up, then lowered it down to access, then back to normal height but the rear when up. It the front wouldn’t and I got the will raise when system is college message.

I left it 30 mins and eventually it raised to normal height very slowly.

So the confusing thing is the rear goes up quickly but the front literally takes an age. If it were the compressor would it be slow all round? Is this a possible leak on the fronts?

Thanks

Post #549046 Sun Feb 18 2018 3:37pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

It puts the rear up first. Probably using capacity in the tank to start with.

So if its low in the morning (and you left it in normal) you have a leak.

Post #549049 Sun Feb 18 2018 3:43pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

leaking air reservoir

Post #549052 Sun Feb 18 2018 4:06pm
RRS2012

Thanks chaps. It feels like Mikey has the most likely suspect. Once its at any height it stays there, over night, over a weekend etc no issue.

Previously, I've been able to raise and lower it several times in a row no issue. Now after one raise, it will not raise again quickly at the front, it either creeps up and/or overheats the compressor and stops.

Where is the reserviour located? Assume that if I take her for a spin, get the tank nicely filled with compressed air I may be able to hear the leak if I know where to look/listen?

I suppose if its not an air leak, it could be the compressor wearing out, but suspect its as Mikey says as after a run it bounces up no issue (first raise only) but on start-up it creeps up from access height.

Post #549062 Sun Feb 18 2018 5:02pm
Andy K

people have been known to hear them when the leak is bad

its on the passenger side

Post #549063 Sun Feb 18 2018 5:28pm
RRS2012

I’m not as convinced it’s a leaky reservoir anymore. I left it in access height for about three hours and thought if there’s a leak and I jump in and try to raise it it’ll struggle as before as it’ll be doing it on a empty tank..:. It didn’t, jumped in, started her up and immediately raised to normal height in around 5 seconds.... and evenly rear and front in sync

Bought the car in December and Had a very good play with this feature so I’m convinced something is a miss. Before it would raise and lower through the full extremes maybe a couple of times without a problem. Now it seems it will do one raise from either acess to normal or normal to off road then after that it proper creeps up and I mean creeps. Earlier today at the super market it just would not get to off-road height, just wasn’t happening so I lowered it and started again which is when I got the system cool message. After it had cooled it took a minute probably close to two to get from access to normal height and this was with the already rear at height and the front creeping up eventually.

With a full working order setup what would you guys expect to see from accress to off road? Then if you drop to acess again wouldnyoirs struggle to get back to normal height?

Post #549099 Sun Feb 18 2018 10:22pm
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Sounds like a weak compressor to me (or an air leak) especially if it's overheating!

Mine was the same, back end would move up in lumps (as it's lighter than the front) then the front would slowly raise again in lumps, that was until one day it simply wouldn't lift the front of the car. Once at ride height it was fine, compressor would come on from time to time topping up the reservoir.

From off-road to bottom and back up to off-road takes around 15/20 seconds.

If your compressor is failing it would also be worth checking that your reservoir isn't full of water (Even if it isn't it's worth checking as there is no way for the system to drain itself).

EDIT: The compressor is just in front of the passenger side rear wheel, the reservoir is just in front of the compressor running parallel to the chassis.

Post #549141 Mon Feb 19 2018 11:35am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

RRS2012 wrote:
I’m not as convinced it’s a leaky reservoir anymore. I left it in access height for about three hours and thought if there’s a leak and I jump in and try to raise it it’ll struggle as before as it’ll be doing it on a empty tank..:. It didn’t, jumped in, started her up and immediately raised to normal height in around 5 seconds.... and evenly rear and front in sync

Requires less air pressure to go from access>normal than from normal>off road Thumbs Up

That said, it could also be a worn compressor not filling the tank fully, masked by the fact it is overheating and switching off...

Post #549146 Mon Feb 19 2018 12:00pm
RRS2012

Ok guys, thanks for your help and comments. Heres where I need your thoughts/comparison on what you experience with yours and if mine is in fact normal, on the border of normal, or potentially needs some investigation

I've been experimenting a bit with it to see when it starts to struggle.

I start her up, with what should be a full revervoir of air (from normal height), drop it to access mode then wait a few second, then go for the full lift to offroad. It will go most of the way quite quickly then creep up that last maybe half inch to an inch. all in all about 20 seconds maybe a little more, nothing of real concern.

I wait a few seconds then drop to access again. Now it will raise through to normal a little slower than before, rear getting there first followed by the front then takes quite some time to get to off road height again, creeping very slowly. It didn't over heat throughout this sequence.

Obviously, it isn't designed to sit there going up and down, it will use the reservoir then once spent will rely soley on the compressor and naturally lifts more slowly.

So maybe its doing what it should, one full lift then spends the tank and creeps after that.

So what does your do? if yours flys up through this sequences twice then I have an issue, if yours are similar, I'd say its either ok or maybe just starting to have problems that may need to be addressed at some point.

It was the overheating previously that concerned me. I'd driven for about half an hour and had not been lifting / lower. Parked and lowered, after one full raise it overheated on a cold day. I had it up and down more than this for the above experiement and it didn;t overheat, so I think the compressor could be being overworked when driving which might point to the leaky res.. or it could have been a one off...

Your experience with your is much appreciated.

Post #549675 Sun Feb 25 2018 12:35pm
Andy K

It's a little unfair and not typical operation for it to go from access to off road.

I assume the reservoir is only there to help it do one step height change. e.g normal > off road.

Yours sounds ok.

Main thing to check to see if it keeps normal height overnight. If it doesn't this shows up leaks

Post #549678 Sun Feb 25 2018 1:25pm
RRS2012

Thanks Andy.

Agreed, hence asking for a base line from others for comparison, but not many takers...

Anyway, adaptive dynamic fault came on last week and its in the steelers, I mentioned the raising issue.

They have diagnosed and internal fault on the rear shocker so its getting done under warranty.

Will see if this improve it.

Post #551935 Tue Mar 20 2018 6:27pm
MGO

Ireland 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

refurb the compressor.
and replace the dessicant.

Post #552135 Fri Mar 23 2018 7:35pm
RRS2012

It could be ok as is. What do you guys get timing wise from a full air tank through the range? As questioned above? From what I can gather it’s variable vehicle to vehicle. The tech instructions for example say when calibrating the height, allow 5 upto mins to reach off road height.

It hasn’t overheated since, could have been a one off so just trying to get an idea of real world experiences. I took out a decent warranty so will just monitor. I’ll be towing this summer so the xtra weight may work the compressor more. Not too fond of idea of issues arising when towing / loaded.

On another note, wiring loom and rear air shock is being done on the warranty. Picking up tomorrow will see if any improvement. It kept going into suspension extended mode when lowering to access seems like there was an issue with one of the rear air spings.

Post #552152 Fri Mar 23 2018 9:52pm
Andy K

If it carries on going to extended when lowering to access its usually:

1. Calibration of suspension required
or
2. Exhaust valve not letting air out the system quick enough

Post #552175 Sat Mar 24 2018 9:56am
Mart

United Kingdom 
Leak in air tank

Hello
Does anybody know what is that big nut on front of air tank for ?? Mine seam to be leaking from there ...

Can I undo it and put some silicone inside it or even weld it altogether ??

And will suspension drop over night if left like that ? Sorry but I only just noticed the problem . Thanks in advance

Post #583840 Thu Jul 11 2019 7:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1