RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Dealership Feedback > Guy Salmon, Coventry
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red
Guy Salmon, Coventry

There's a few views on here about Guy Salmon in Coventry, so here's mine. I've not yet bought, and now unlikely to...

£28k Evoque spec'd exactly as my wife wants. Initially seen on and enquired via the official online LR Approved adverts.

So an Emily responds so I phone her - Evoque is sold. But next day I get a video of the Evoque where she says the car has just come in which she wasn't aware of (probably true as the advert was only listed that day - I'd been checking daily, and I was a potential buyer...). The paperwork hadn't yet come through etc. etc. but I could leave a £1000 deposit to hold...

After checking it was refundable due to no agreements or viewing made then I paid the deposit - I wasn't going to sign or confirm anything until I'd viewed, and had the refund agreement in emails. So after a couple of days I got the price - only £28,500!!! Of course I had a print of the original advert clearly showing £28k - she must've thought I was a done deal and figured she'd score an additional £500, I guess to top off her bonus. Na, not from me so I sent the original advert which I'd printed as pdf, so it was agreed that they could squeeze to that since it was a incorrectly advertised.
To me the £28k was the start/max price where we worked from, but she's insistent she can't go lower than £28k....after lengthy talks with manager etc. etc. She seems to think she's already dropped from £28,500 to £28k.

The car has a trade in expectation of £23 to £23,500 so that'd be a £5k markup, I guess less a grand or so costs for LR Approved status/warranty.

Are these sales people for real? I know I probably made the mistake giving the deposit, but upping the price has set a new low standard for me.

So what sort of discount have any of you been getting on a £28k value car, no trade in and paying cash? I'm now likely to just give my lower offer knowing it may be knocked back, get my deposit back and think myself lucky - if she can be an Censored at this part of sale then I should maybe think myself lucky I can get out.

P.s. I know it's not an RRS, but I'm sure I saw tumbleweed roll past on the BabyRR site it's so quiet - there's good advice from folk on here Thumbs Up 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #532620 Fri Aug 11 2017 10:34pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Should have bought Mrs Jim's.........lol

Post #532621 Fri Aug 11 2017 11:01pm
insiorc

Re: Guy Salmon, Coventry

jim4244 wrote:

Should have bought Mrs Jim's.........lol

Correct! Rolling with laughter

I tried, to the point I was put in my place about it not being my car etc. etc. etc.! Unfortunately she's started a job now so seems tho think she has a bigger say...

Mrs Jim's is far better value with worthwhile extra's, just short of the black bumpers. I'll get working on her again...last time she hung up the phone on me, frustrating when 4000 miles away Laughing 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #532622 Fri Aug 11 2017 11:07pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

My Svr came from guy salmon Coventry barely 2 weeks ago.

The business manager - Tom - admitted he initially thought I was some sort of scam artist/wind up merchant as I d rung at 9am and committed to buying the car after a few minutes on the phone, I had a large deposit (40percent was the max I was allowed to put in, I tried to do 60 percent initially) with my part exchange but wanted to stick the finance in my missus name as I mortgaging left right and centre, I wasn't happy for my missus to travel up on her own and if she had to drive the car we all feared it wouldn't make it home in one piece 😂

I found it initially to be a painful buying experience, specific points I d agreed as part of the sale and on which I had placed a deposit (me not having to go to Coventry for starters- I work 7 days a week and travel a lot) were renegged upon, the salesman whose name escapes me and I never dealt with again made promises above his pay grade.

I spent 20 minutes on the phone to Tom that morning , painting my particular picture and he then started to be much more customer orientated, from their point of view I guess I can see their initial- is this guy for real take on things- but equally they must come across all sorts and it's their job to adapt to a buyers situauon not the other way round.

They definitely didn't trust me initially though, insisted on collecting my part exchange 3 days before the deal was done to check it didn't have a transit engine in it I think was the inference 😂!

All was well in the end though and despite having to travel up to Coventry and stand around as the driver went to the wrong station to collect me, I was well pleased with the car.

No negotiations on the price of their car though but worked them abit harder on my part exchange.

I d say they definitely price the cars high , if you think they are trying to pull a fast one then vote with your feet and walk away!

My good lady decided she wanted an evoque whilst we were there and I get the feeling if I ask for a demo for a fee days it d be on my doorstep with a snap of my fingers now.

Best of luck and remember it's only a car!

Post #532623 Sat Aug 12 2017 2:35am
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Hmmmmm.... try telling her that £2250 buys quite a few cans of black gloss spray paint from Wilkinsons...... Thumbs Up

The Dealer Principle at Coventry is a really great guy named Alex. He was the DP at Guy Salmon LR Northampton, where I RRS Jim's and my cars come from. Give him a ring as he has really high standards when it come to customer service and I am sure that he woul like to hear of the way in which you have been treated.

Jim

Post #532637 Sat Aug 12 2017 8:02am
hafman

United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear how they have treated you.

I bought my used ex-JLR executive's L494 from Coventry at the end of last year, and (other than what subsequently transpires to having had a very poorly re-sprayed bonnet Sad ) I couldn't fault them.

Post #532657 Sat Aug 12 2017 2:12pm
insiorc

I'd forgot to write that Emily had wrote that due to the 'advertising error' she could probably do the £28k plus 6 months road tax, so when I said I was still interested (pressure from my wife), her reply was that after discussion with manager blah blah their margin was so tight they could no longer do the 6 months tax! I reckon it's bad form for a salesperson to offer, then retract the offer, and I guess this is what annoyed me the most. I may well end up walking away from this sale for the sake of about £80 - but principles ...

I had a good chuckle earlier today, I found that the Sytner (Guy Salmon) website has the usual car pricer to let you know what you may get for a trade in, so I entered the registration, mileage of their own £28500 Evoque. Just for a bit of fun.

Showroom Condition UP TO £23,450.00
My car is in the best condition and no expense has been spared to maintain it.
Average Condition UP TO £22,500.00
My car is as expected for it's age and mileage.
Below Average Condition UP TO £21,600.00
My car has seen better days. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #532667 Sat Aug 12 2017 4:04pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

That was exactly my point , all the yeah yeah no problem sir , paid deposit and then get a call back from someone with some authority and all of a sudden it was can't do this, can't do that, I did have to say once or twice ok refund my deposit before they loosened up abit.

Post #532668 Sat Aug 12 2017 4:17pm
Elbitrevnoc

United Kingdom 

I think your experience reflects pretty much the attitude across most of the LR network - I've had very similar experience elsewhere.

Saw a Sport I was interested in, late on a Friday night and during the course of the conversation I was offered several bits and pieces to be thrown in, including the carrot that Monday would be 'end of month' and they could do something on the screen price. My time was short and my big mistake was not nailing, there and then, what the deal would be, but I was several hours from home and didn't have the time. In truth, I also wanted to think about it.

I decided over the weekend that the overall package could be a good deal, so I contacted the dealer to put a returnable deposit down, subject to the promised package and agreement on final price on Monday morning. The dealership made it very clear that I would have to pay, in full, by close of play on Monday if they were to do this for me and I said that wasn't a problem - they just needed to confirm what the price would be. They said they would call me first thing Monday AM.

Suffice to say I didn't get a call and I finally chased them at 4pm. Answer was "well it's obviously too late to get the deal done today, but we'll still be happy to honour the agreement we made." Unsurprisingly, this deal didn't include any discount, nor the promised full service and fresh MOT. All of a sudden the car also didn't come with a full set of mats any more. In fact just about every promise they had made was welched on! I wasn't best pleased and pushed them to honour at least some of their promises and arrive at an acceptable deal. I then tried to get clarity by insisting that they provide me with written confirmation of what exactly the deal now was, but it proved maddeningly difficult - every email I had from them was (deliberately perhaps?) vague or appeared to have msunderstood my question. This made it impossible to know what I was actually being offered.

In all my years of buying cars I don't think I've ever fallen out quite so badly with a dealer before I've even bought the car. It certainly would give me zero confidence in them if I found myself in need of post-purchase support with any issues! 2014 3.0 SDV6 HSE Corris Grey with Ebony/Cirrus
2012 4.4 TdV8 Westminster Orkney Grey/Ivory
GONE - 2012 SDV6 HSE Luxury Orkney Grey/Ivory
GONE - 2006 3.0 Td6 Vogue SE Buckingham Blue/Parchment

Post #532712 Sun Aug 13 2017 10:03am
warkman

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

I hate the coventry dealers.
You are made to feel as if you should be on your knees thanking them for letting you in.

We always use Stratford in Avon, much better atmosphere Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #532723 Sun Aug 13 2017 2:52pm
insiorc

Well just to complete this thread, I now hang my head in shame...I bought it!

My wife would not budge at all on her preferred spec which was the Dynamic in firenze red with black pack (yes it now looks a bit sad with 2 firenze red cars in the drive Laughing )
I did a bit more digging around and the price was actually fairer than I originally thought (in an already overpriced kind of way which is general for the brand) due to Approved Warranty, spec etc. Also when buying used it can be harder to find the exact spec wanted so we pretty much were a cornered customer.

So for Emily, from there everything was very good, I requested the car stays as it is as it was about to go for a front end spray - why do they do this just for a couple of hardly noticeable stone chips, for me it ruins a car as usually the respray can be spotted miles away and to me this indicates a front end smash? I did ask for it to stay away from the 'paint scratching department' with their mostly incompetent people with rotary polishers, and it was kind of done - no compounding but they did apply a coat of wax! At least there's no obvious buffer trails so once I get time to run over it with my Flex 3401 it should be as good as new (better hopefully).

Everything went well at handover, she recognised I was familiar with the layout so offered to answer any questions which all I needed was a reminder on the best way to connect my phone, then I got on my way for my drive to Aberdeen for the ferry home. I'd definitely consider dealing with them again, but that's only for purchase as it's too far to travel for servicing.

So thankfully my wife is now very happy! The downside is I'm now getting pressure to sell my P38... Big Cry 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #534502 Mon Sep 04 2017 10:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1