RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > No drive in high range, please help.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Lukehildred

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
No drive in high range, please help.

Hi all,

This is my first post so be gentle! I have tried searching for this fault but not found anything else. I love my RRS and would be gutted if I have to get rid of it.

Problem: I have no drive in high range. The RRS just revs like it is in neutral.

Background: Driving into my place of work I suddenly, without warning or symptom, lost all drive. I managed to get it into the car park and park up so that I could leave it. At the time I totaly forgot, however having done some research I desided to put it into low range. Success, I had drive, drove it around the car park a bit and then parked back up to put it into high range. No luck, it wouldn't change up. This went on for aages, however, I eventually managed to get it back in to HR but again, in D, it was like it was in neutral. If I lock the diff by putting into one of the special programs, I can easily move it between LR and HR. But still no drive. I had a friend conduct a diagnostic check to bring up the faults and didn't really get much in relation to drive, less one about a speed sensor. I performed an ECU reset by disconnecting the battery and connecting the positive and negative connections together. Great, it worked, I can now select between HR and LR without selecting special programs, but still no drive in HR.

Every now and again, there is a slight crunching sound/juddering whilst driving in low range. It feels like the breaks are sticking, but I think it may be connected...

Has anyone got any ideas of what this is/how to rectify it!? Any information would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Luke

Post #525631 Mon May 08 2017 9:00pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It needs a proper code reading doing really. Not all code readers will pick up all of the codes.

Were there any messages on the dashboard during the problems? These help to indicate a possible problem.

It could be anything from the range change sensor playing up to a driveshaft failure of some sort (although that would be obvious in other ways too). 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #525653 Mon May 08 2017 11:32pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The crunching juddering in low range may be the transmission destroying itself with wind up by driving the car on a solid surface............. if you look in the owner's manual it does advise to avoid driving on proper roads in low ratio. When offroad or on low friction surfaces the wheels can spin out wind up but on the road/ higher friction surfaces the wheels cannot rotate the energy back out of the system and something will break. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #525669 Tue May 09 2017 8:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Hi Tim,

Not looking to cause an argument, but the centre diff pretty much negates any and all drive-line wind up on these vehicles (unless of course you lock it), I've looked through the manual and find no mention of this being an issue and to avoid using low range on highways. The closest I've found is this:

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/documen...c/G1858118

The only vehicle I've ever heard of having actual drive line wind up was the Alvis Stalwart and those have 3 axles and no diff distributing the power evenly between them.

Happy to stand corrected though.

OP - It sounds more like the solenoid within the transfer case isn't engaging either high or low range properly. You might be lucky and be able to free it of or it could be more serious and require a new transfer case. Not sure how much one of those will cost you but they're usually trouble free so you could risk getting one from a breakers yard.

Post #525676 Tue May 09 2017 9:24am
RRSTDV8

The solenoid isn't silly money but I think access is a bit tricky. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #525682 Tue May 09 2017 9:40am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Thought it was a motor in the side which could be unbolted.
Oil may leak out.

Sounds like a new transfer box is required to me though

Post #525699 Tue May 09 2017 12:04pm
RRSTDV8

The system has two parts:
a solenoid that selects for either range change or diff lock; and
a motor that moves the range change or operates the diff lock depending on solenoid position.

Both are external to the transfer box and both are replaceable items. Access is tricky though.

Either way, it needs plugging in for codes and then sticking on a ramp for look see underneath. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #525715 Tue May 09 2017 3:18pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Where are you based? We might be able to recommend a good independent LR garage... Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #525721 Tue May 09 2017 5:11pm
Lukehildred

Thanks all for your comments, its much appreciated. I was originally told it was the gearbox and a replacement would be in the region of £4000, hopefully it is not that and a much cheaper solution can be found!

I am based just off the M4 at junction 17, near chippenham.

Kind regards,

Luke

Post #525723 Tue May 09 2017 5:17pm
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

ask Woody if he's going to be near you soon, he does a lot of mobile work. This is his profile on the Disco forum http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member-woody32.html Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #525726 Tue May 09 2017 6:09pm
Lukehildred

Hey Luke,

Thanks for the info. Ive just joined the forum (disco3) but as i havent posted 3 times yet, it won't let me PM or email him. I don't really fancy just putting 3 random message up to do it. Any chance you could pm me his email?

Many thanks,

Luke

Post #525731 Tue May 09 2017 8:08pm
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

It dont take long to get to 5 posts Thumbs Up

Post #525732 Tue May 09 2017 8:09pm
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Lukehildred wrote:
Hey Luke,

Thanks for the info. Ive just joined the forum (disco3) but as i havent posted 3 times yet, it won't let me PM or email him. I don't really fancy just putting 3 random message up to do it. Any chance you could pm me his email?

Many thanks,

Luke

just sent you a pm however there was a weird SQL error that appeared when I posted it. Anyway his email is kriswoody@gmail.com. I think his profile on the forum here is "woody32". Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #525733 Tue May 09 2017 8:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1