RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Battery Life isn't too bad!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Battery Life isn't too bad!

OK I went away on January 11th and returned home last night expecting the worst. In that time the car has travelled 9 miles to the next village and back instead of the usual 30-40 miles exercise trip my brother drives the car for while I'm away. First good sign was the remote unlocked the car from about 50m away............. so not a totally flat battery, then I got in, removed my additional anti theft devices and immobilisers and pressed the starter, engine fired immediately but there is a warning "battery low, start engine..." I assume that this is the Siop/Start battery that is low not the main one as it didn't hesitate to fire up. I suspect that a 9 mile trip probably did more harm than good with regards to adding any charge but I'm happy that after nearly 4 months in-activity the engine fired 1st press of the button and no time needed to warm the glow plugs even though the outside temperature is showing only 10c when the actual is more like 15. Now have to take it for a run to see if I can get the TPMS to register anything other than 0 for the tyres pressures, the tyres are still inflated so I know that they are not 0 pressure! Otherwise I'm going to have to go hunting for my tyre pressure gauge and bend over and to old style manual pressure checks.........

Also, should have mentioned that it was parked up in January in access mode to send all the electronics into sleep mode, this is the 5th air suspended Range Rover I have owned and always leave them in lowered mode for that reason. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #524825 Sat Apr 29 2017 11:53am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

Just back from a 40 mile trip and even the stop start battery has fully charged as the system cut in and stopped the engine as I waited for traffic to pass when I wanted to turn right into the farm lane I live on. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #524834 Sat Apr 29 2017 2:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Mine's much better now after the power module update. 

Post #524849 Sat Apr 29 2017 5:34pm
Chrisr1806

England 

Mine too, Stop/Start seems to be working much more often than it did before the service. Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #524866 Sat Apr 29 2017 8:06pm
wilf

Please tell me more about access height "sending the electronics to sleep", this is a new one to me. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #524876 Sat Apr 29 2017 9:57pm
Tim in Scotland

In 2001 when Disco3 was launched there was a note in the owner's manual that if parking the car for long time then it was best to lower the car to access height as that was a signal to the car's systems to shut down completely to reduce battery drain. L322 FFRR's had the same instruction in 2003 and then RRS had it as well in 2005. I have always continued to do it and a couple of dealership service managers have told me that it still holds good today - to the extent that with cars from 2016MY on they now automatically lower before you get out, after switching off the ignition. When people here report battery flattening issues I have always asked if they have been in the habit of lowering the car. The car's systems are programmed that if you don't lower it to access height before leaving it, the electronics will be "resting" but alert for you coming back to the car so things go into a similar state as "hibernating" a Laptop or PC or putting a DVD player or TV into "standby" mode, this means they will be on line as soon as your key fob is detected but in the mean time they have been consuming a small amount of electricity to stay awake. IIRC it is still mentioned in the owner's manual that if leaving the car for any length of time it should be parked in access mode. If you leave it long enough the air will leak out of the suspension doughnuts and the car will settle down on the bump stops but that might take weeks! I also find that many people don't know that you should lower the car for access - it saves on the expense of side steps......... D3, L322 FFRR's and RRS1 also lowered themselves automatically above 70 mph for high speed stability - very few people knew that and that in the L322 FFRR there was a fixed interval for the rear wiper intermittent wipe that was a bit too long but above 90mph it ran continuously.............. Also with all LR air suspended cars you should lower them while moving slowly, not after you have stopped and never after the parking brake has been applied to avoid damage/ wear to suspension components. Here ends today's lessons! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #524879 Sat Apr 29 2017 10:16pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Tim in Scotland wrote:
I also find that many people don't know that you should lower the car for access - it saves on the expense of side steps...

I also wasn't aware of the access height deep sleep, so thanks for that lesson. My wife is supposed to exercise my RRS while I'm away at work for 4 weeks but she forgets and just drives the P38 which she prefers, so I'll lower it next time when leaving.

But I'm not so sure I'm keen to keep lowering the RRS, I've got too many memories rebuilding P38 air compressors...normally most affected in winter at the worst times, I just did mine again a few weeks ago! Are these RRS compressors built better to cope with repeat access height lowering, as if not then fitting side steps could well be cheaper. Unless I'm wrong, I'd prefer leaving the compressor run cycles to catering to the normal levelling adjustments and occasional stretching it's legs so to speak.
Of course it won't matter to those more used to changing vehicles every other year, but I've not managed to sell a 'Green Oval' yet... 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #524882 Sat Apr 29 2017 10:52pm
Tim in Scotland

I think things have moved on a bit since the P38 RR. Land Rover darned nearly built the perfect Range Rover with that car but the technology wasn't as advanced as their dreams and technical reliability certainly, wasn't which was a pity because P38 was a very advanced car and it's suspension system was reckoned by many to have been the best ever designed - it just had to work too hard! I wouldn't be bothered about lots of raising and lowering if you are going away for 4 weeks - if the car is unlikely to be moved then once it is down, it is down! Better to put it there intentionally than to let the air seep out over that time and for it to possibly not settle evenly. Another area where the P38 was way ahead of everyone else was the horrendously complex ventilation system.......... At least with the air springs you could dump the antire system and commit sacrilege by replacing it with coils but there was nothing to replace the complex ventilation system with. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #524900 Sun Apr 30 2017 9:10am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Tim in Scotland wrote:
D3, L322 FFRR's and RRS1 also lowered themselves automatically above 70 mph for high speed stability - very few people knew that

That's because in the RRS1 (and the D3/4 I guess as they're the same systems) it happens when the vehicle exceeds 100mph for 5 seconds, not at 70mph. Wink

Quote:
High Speed Mode
High speed mode is a non-selectable, automatic mode which lowers the vehicle height by 20mm to improve vehicle handling. This
feature is fully automated and is 'invisible' to the driver.
If the vehicle speed exceeds 100 mph (160 km/h) for more than five seconds, the air suspension control module initiates the high
speed mode. When the vehicle speed reduces to less than 80 mph (130 km/h) for more than 30 seconds, the vehicle returns to the
On-Road height. This function is cancelled if a trailer is connected to the trailer socket

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Also with all LR air suspended cars you should lower them while moving slowly, not after you have stopped and never after the parking brake has been applied to avoid damage/ wear to suspension components. Here ends today's lessons!

Lowering whilst stopping is probably best, yes. The worst thing is to do it when the gearbox is in park. If anyone wants to know why, park up with the EPB on and the gearbox in neutral. Select access mode from outside (through the window) and watch the front wheels. You'll see the front wheels roll slightly as it lowers. If you do it when it's in park you can hear creaks from outside as bushes are loaded. It's probably not very nice to the drive train either. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #524907 Sun Apr 30 2017 11:29am
syl

United Kingdom 

It surely can't be that bad if, as stated earlier, MY16 on vehicles lower automatically after turning off the ignition (presumably whilst in park, with the EPB on).

Post #524908 Sun Apr 30 2017 12:15pm
Tim in Scotland

The EPB on my 2015 doesn't come on as soon as the ignition is turned off, there is a delay unless I engage it manually. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #524910 Sun Apr 30 2017 12:33pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

I always lower mine whilst I'm reversing onto drive so it doesn't put strain on tyres & suspension.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #524912 Sun Apr 30 2017 12:41pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

So do I but I don't think the L494 splays its wheels like the L320 did. Since I got the SVR we've not had the snow to check. 

Post #524931 Sun Apr 30 2017 5:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1