RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Stainless undertrays
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

rigsby

England 
Stainless undertrays

Hi, can anybody point me in the direction of how to fit the front and rear undertrays. Not sure if its a DIY job or dealer fit, thanks MY16 AUTOBIOGRAPHY Indus silver with some toys

2012 3.0 SDV6 Luxury gone, but a great motor

Post #471995 Fri Sep 04 2015 4:33pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Mine were dealer fitted before the car was delivered. One thing to bear in mind before deciding whether you really want them is that to get at the mounting positions for the recovery (sorry, towing) eyes you have to remove the bash plates, rendering them useless for off road use if you think that you might also need to be recovered.......... there is a major design fault in this respect, they need to have some small removable coverplates added for access to the recovery points. The fitting instructions are available on TOPIX here for the rear one and you have the deployable tow hook
http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/co...oupId=1669

and here for a car without the deployable towing hook

and the front one is here

JLR reckons dealers will be allowed 2 hours to fit each plate, this includes what looks like time to allow the sealant or glue to harden! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #471997 Fri Sep 04 2015 4:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rigsby

England 

Thanks very much Tim, sorry I haven't replied earlier. I will ask my dealer for a price to fit and see how much it is first. I don't do any off roaring so shouldn't be a problem there MY16 AUTOBIOGRAPHY Indus silver with some toys

2012 3.0 SDV6 Luxury gone, but a great motor

Post #472214 Sun Sep 06 2015 5:39pm
matsoutback

Australia 

Not that I have the stainless front "protection" plate, but I was wondering does anyone actually remove theirs before going "off road" as per the owners manual?

I took mine off to see how easy it was (and it was), but it seems rediculous to do so considering it is meant to be an off road (looking) plate... Laughing It is necessary to remove it to access the front tow eye.

Also, I've mounted my front number plate on that front removable piece, so I'd need to remove the number plate too, then re-mount it before heading off. The beaches are registered roads here.

I don't want to loose the bash plate on the sand...So I will remove it. Wink 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #523359 Tue Apr 11 2017 10:27pm
IRBails

Australia 

$300 for that plastic plate. What do the stainless plate look like ? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #523373 Tue Apr 11 2017 11:19pm
matsoutback

Australia 

Total waste of $ if you ask me... Still need to remove it to access the tow eye. I'd consider it if were more securely fitted and had access to the tow eye without removal. Wink 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #523376 Tue Apr 11 2017 11:28pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I bought my set as dealer fitted accessories as I didn't like the plastic styling on the bumpers and because I wanted something more robust for offroad use as I do go off the beaten track occassionally and having smashed a composite bumper offroad in an Evoque (don't laugh, they are incredibly competent offroad) that cost the best part of £1800 to replace I decided to apply some damage mitigation. Having to remove the protection only to expose the towing/ recovery eye when you want to take the car offroad is nuts and LR needs to wake up and take notice of stupid design features like this on a car that is intended to be taken offroad (even if only tiny numbers of owners do actually venture further offroad than a supermarket car park) 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #523417 Wed Apr 12 2017 12:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Renaco

Germany 

This piece is just an aerodynamic Tow-Eye cover, and even negative once fitted off-road, as once it come of, it could scratch other parts on the car once "flying" aroung.

So they should call it "aerodynamic cover" for decoration... Wink

Post #523418 Wed Apr 12 2017 1:06pm
waggers

United Kingdom 

I fitted both the front and rear stainless covers to my L494 together with the stainless side bars purely for aesthetics. They are reasonably easy to fit in couple of hours without issues. The originals just un-clip at the bottom. They are just thin stainless covers that then stick on top. They come with 3m double sided tape already applied BUT I added extra mastic to ensure they stayed put as it didn't look as though the tape would do the job on its own. For what its worth they look nice fitted BUT the LR OEM price is a complete rip-off for what they are! Try and acquire them discounted if you do go for them.

Steve

Post #523435 Wed Apr 12 2017 4:48pm
IRBails

Australia 

So this is a piece of thin stainless glued to the plastic and is meant as protection? Seems like the plastic would be just as good? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #523473 Wed Apr 12 2017 10:09pm
waggers

United Kingdom 

I don't think they will give you any extra protection beyond what is already there. I think they are more for aesthetics than anything else. I was certainly surprised when I opened the part boxes, knowing the LR OEM part cost, I was expecting a full stainless replacement part rather than a stick-on cover plate!

Post #523502 Thu Apr 13 2017 8:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1