RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Spotlights for road trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Salisburylander

2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue
Spotlights for road trip

Has anyone put extra spotlights on their RRS? I'm only asking cos I've been invited to a wedding in Northern Sweden and it was recommended to have them so that deer, reindeer and moose could be seen more readily at night. Apparently, they are quite a hazard in the North. Hopefully, bit of a road trip next month.

Post #520820 Mon Mar 13 2017 10:58pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

You need the led's like I have on my truck,,a 392watt on the nudgebar & a 572 on the rollbar.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #520823 Mon Mar 13 2017 11:17pm
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I've not fitted spot lights but I have got these fitted as replacement high beams:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I4Y...&psc=1

I've had them fitted for a little while now and can highly recomend them! They have a wider spread than the stock halogens (as the light doesn't hit the reflectors the same way) and illuminate a much wider area, you do lose a bit of your overall view distance, but it's not a lot, imho they're FAR superiour to stock bulbs.

After I fitted them I've not had to touch them again.

I've just bought a set of these yesterday:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291960623515?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

Now I've not recieved them yet, so I can't say if they're better or reliable. On paper they should be far superior and just as reliable, but obviously heading on a long road trip you need reliability as much as you need power.

For reference, the stock 55w Halogen bulb emits a maximum of 1800 lumens, The kit from Amazon emits 3600 lumens per bulb and the set I've just purchased emits 10,000 lumens per bulb.

While technically these kits are illegal for road use, as they're used in the high beam they're legal (you don't have high beams on when approaching oncoming traffic). To confirm; I had them fitted when I went for MOT and didn't have any issues.

You'll need a set of these to hold either set of bulbs in place:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H7-HID-Xenon-...SwNRdX5Iiu

You won't need to modify anything to fit the bulbs, but it is a bit of a fiddle. I found I had to slacken the two torx retaining screws a little, fit the bulbs and then re-tighten them again.

If deer are that big of an issue though it might be worth looking into fitting a bullbar and mounting a couple of spotlights in the same fashion as Tyrefitter.

Post #520836 Tue Mar 14 2017 10:08am
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I've just fitted the RRS Driving/Fog Light kit VUB502440 to my car & whilst the look is not everyone's cup of tea maybe, first impressions of the lights are good. Much more "throw"/range and a higher beam too. Admittedly this was in a long darkish street in London but they illuminated the house at the end when on but not when off.

I've got some H11 LEDs on their way to me, so will upgrade the driving light bulbs with them. I'll wait until I get to Wales tomorrow (where it is very dark!) and try and do a comparison - DL off, standard bulbs on, LEDs on

Post #520970 Wed Mar 15 2017 10:03am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

I've got a set of those driving/fogs complete unused for sale if you're interested, let me know. Thumbs Up Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #520971 Wed Mar 15 2017 10:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Not sure that they'd fit your 2011 bumper though. Bodsys Brake Bible
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #520973 Wed Mar 15 2017 10:37am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Socast

What're you asking for them and do you have all the instructions, templates etc. ?

Post #520988 Wed Mar 15 2017 11:34am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Pufftmw wrote:
I've just fitted the RRS Driving/Fog Light kit VUB502440 to my car & whilst the look is not everyone's cup of tea maybe, first impressions of the lights are good. Much more "throw"/range and a higher beam too. Admittedly this was in a long darkish street in London but they illuminated the house at the end when on but not when off.

I've got some H11 LEDs on their way to me, so will upgrade the driving light bulbs with them. I'll wait until I get to Wales tomorrow (where it is very dark!) and try and do a comparison - DL off, standard bulbs on, LEDs on

I thought the driving lamps took H9 bulbs? They are very high efficacy (2100lm) so I would stongly recommend sticking with them (if they are H11 though, H9s can be retrofitted by trimming the tabs).

Driving lamps really require a tight focus to get the best out of them which LEDs would spoil - the key to seeing further is to get more light down the road without adding it in the foreground. An LED retrofit disperses the light nearby, meaning you do not see further and often see less far, and often the dispersion is enough to mean lower outright intensity too.

Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #520991 Wed Mar 15 2017 11:54am
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Thank you!

They do take H9s but all the LED kits are H8,H9,H11 multifit, so my bad at remembering, sorry Embarassed

I shall do the test and find out Smile

Post #520992 Wed Mar 15 2017 12:00pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up

Bear in mind, the higher colour temperature of the LEDs will trick your eyes, making it seem brighter, and as long as you have a decent level of light, the balance of light between near and far is more important than the brightness - i.e. quality over quantity. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #520997 Wed Mar 15 2017 12:42pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Pufftmw wrote:

As an aside, how easy are they to fit? I've got a set in my garage that I'm slightly scared of - the fitting of them that is. The instructions suggest a somewhat involved installation... Embarassed 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #521014 Wed Mar 15 2017 6:30pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

It's a bit time consuming and of course you need to cut the bumper, but with the included templates, it's not too bad to do. Take the bumper off of course and you'll need to lift the engine bay fusebox (from memory) but that's dead easy.

Brave pill only really needed to cut the hole for the lights switch near the steering wheel, but even if you mess that up, the switch plate will cover it up (again. Going from memory) Bodsys Brake Bible
See it HERE

Post #521057 Wed Mar 15 2017 11:40pm
delta351

How about RRS fogs and spot lights.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Range-Ro...Swax5YyU7W

2006 RR Sport Supercharged Love this car
2009 BMW 335D GONE
2008 VW R32 GONE
1999 RR SE GONE
1994 RR HSE GONE
2001 VW V5 GONE

Post #521060 Thu Mar 16 2017 12:08am
garrycol

Australia 

Hitting wildlife at night is a constant issue here - especially in the suburbs of Canberra.

The main issue is the animals on the side of the road just outside your light beams which suddenly walk in front of your car and for this you need wide beams with light up the roadside.

My suggestion for seeing the road way ahead is a set of HID driving or spotlights with a curved or multifunction LED light bar in between them. The spots will give distance and the LED light bar, either curved or ones that have the ends angled to the side will light up the sides of the road.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #521061 Thu Mar 16 2017 2:15am
Socast

I received the 10k lumen bulbs tonight, I fitted one and went for a drive. I've got mixed emotions if I'm honest, the new bulbs are nowhere near the claimed 10k, BUT, they're no dimmer than the 3600k bulbs I already have and as a final cherry on top they even focus better and give a more obvious focal point.

Video is here:

So to summarise, better than my previous bulbs but not as bright as claimed.

Post #521122 Thu Mar 16 2017 10:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>