RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Fitting battery charger connector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

donny dog

United Kingdom 
Fitting battery charger connector

I have been looking at how to fit the connector for the CTEK battery charger on my MY17 RRS. The instructions for the Land Rover version (VPLWV0091) appear to show the negative lead attached to the earth bonding strap at the rear of the spare wheel well (under where the polystyrene tool holder goes). Is this correct, as it is (a) too large for the 8.4 mm eye, and (b) requires the bonding lead to be completely detached (which worries me as I'm concerned it may affect the electrics)? The positive lead appears to fit directly to the battery terminal, but this is under a red plastic cover which cannot be completely removed as the overlying cover prevents this. I cannot see why the negative lead couldn't be fitted to the accessory post at the other end of the same bonding strap (nearer the negative battery terminal), or why the positive lead couldn't be fitted using a stud in a threaded hole which is present on the same positive battery terminal attachment and which is in a more accessible position just outboard the plastic cover.

Also, the instructions show panels above and below the spare wheel lid being removed (one for wiring access and one to fit the charging socket), whereas on my car these areas are all one piece with the rest of the boot and wheel well lining.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Post #519960 Sun Mar 05 2017 4:58pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

I just connect to the posts in the engine bay.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  

Post #519993 Sun Mar 05 2017 8:12pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

That makes sense, but it's not how LR recommend in their instructions, although I'm not sure what difference it makes. Most manufacturers seem to prefer the negative connection to be to an earth point rather than to the battery negative, but electrically they are the same. There is certainly no electronics like battery management between the two places on the RRS. I'd happily put it where LR indicate except that it makes life difficult as I indicated above, so I'll probably end up doing what you have done (unless anyone on here can suggest a good reason not to!).

Of course, LR also state in the manual that the battery must be removed from the vehicle to charge it, which contradicts the instructions that come with their own battery conditioner! Confused

Post #519998 Sun Mar 05 2017 9:50pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

I've charged loads of batteries in my line of work, industrial equipment/life support UPS systems containing more than a hundred batteries in one bank. When changing a cell out we charge it first - direct on the terminals.
The car manuals usually say to connect the negative last on a piece of chassis away from the battery, to prevent ignition of the hydrogen should a spark occur - who in their right mind would connect or disconnect a charger while powered up? I've always connected direct onto car battery terminals if I can get to them, if not then the next substantial thing I can get to.

As long as your red is connected to red or +, and black to black or - then you'll be fine. If connecting the black to chassis then you just have to ensure it's a very clean corrosion free connection.

Dennis 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #520000 Sun Mar 05 2017 10:05pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that. Of course, these will be permanent connections so sparking at terminals is not an issue anyway.

Post #520002 Sun Mar 05 2017 10:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1