RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Owning an off-roader in the UK?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I would go as far as to say that an L494 with Dynamic and ATR/MTR tyres is possibly more competent off road than a standard/ unmodified Defender due to its superior wheel articulation, fantastic electronics and clever optional toys. Not that any sane owner would want to take their RRS to the places that Defender owners don't bat an eyelid at going to! One huge drawback of the RRS and D3/D4/D5, FFRR and Freelander2, Evoque and Disco Sport is their huge width compared to a Defenders narrow girth. Being a Defender owner as well as owning an RRS I think LR has lost the plot with the width of their vehicles and it would appear that the Defender replacement won't get to as many places as a narrow Defender can get to as it will also be a wide vehicle. D5 is also wider than RRS/D4/FFRR.............. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #511219 Wed Nov 30 2016 6:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

A bit "off topic", but will there be a replacement for the Defender????? Should have been an announcement and a few strategic leaks by now if it was going to happen!

Ols Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #511224 Wed Nov 30 2016 7:30pm
david555

I looked into this, the dc100 seems to be there replacement... According to online car websites.

Post #511226 Wed Nov 30 2016 7:40pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

LR have said 2018 for the new Defender. Expect to hear/see something next year sometime when they start running them on the roads and around the Nordschleife (because a Defender has to handle properly or something). 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #511243 Wed Nov 30 2016 10:51pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Tim in Scotland wrote:
I would go as far as to say that an L494 with Dynamic and ATR/MTR tyres is possibly more competent off road than a standard/ unmodified Defender due to its superior wheel articulation, fantastic electronics and clever optional toys.

Other than width, the one thing the 90 has over the newer stuff is properly short overhangs. That can make a big difference too. Assuming you can get the nose/arse through the obstacle, the rest generally makes it look easy. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #511244 Wed Nov 30 2016 10:54pm
W44NNE

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Thanks for the replies. I promise if I get one, I will not just take it to Tesco! Well Aldi more likely as I'm looking at Petrol models Laughing

Post #511256 Thu Dec 01 2016 2:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12