Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Heated seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

NickR

United Kingdom 
Heated seats

Hiya,

Recently swapped from a Dynamic to an AB. Has anyone done this noticed that the AB heated seats are far less effective?

I'm not sure whether its plain not working or just doesn't seem as good. My prior Dynamic (and the Evoque before that) made me very quick aware when the heated seats were on, and in fact I quite often had to turn them down.

In the AB I can't even say I am sure they are on (as opposed to the car and me just warming up anyway!).

Is there a way to test them?

Cheers
Nick

Post #510466 Mon Nov 21 2016 12:42pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I'd check the state of the battery. I assume the L494 has a strategy to protect the tired battery just as the L320 did. If the battery is low the L320 system will prevent heated seats from working, for example. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #510472 Mon Nov 21 2016 12:58pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Well the heated seats on my L494 are too hot at full power after 10 minutes and have to have the level reduced quite smartish to remain comfortable.

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #510515 Tue Nov 22 2016 2:11am
Peanut

United Kingdom 

My AB seats are also very slow to heat up.
No doubt someone will correct me, but I think the reason is that in the AB they are "climate" seats and have a blower to blow hot or cold air rather than a resistive element in the seat back and base.
At least the heated steering wheel is quick! Current: MY15 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Aruba Gold, HUD, Meridian 1700w
Gone: RRS TDV6 2007 Stornaway
Gone: P38 2.5 DHSE

Post #510517 Tue Nov 22 2016 7:29am
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

My front seats takes lot longer to heat up as its heating/cooling seat, so heating is done by warm air rather then heating elements, which are on rear seats and they heat up very quickly.

Post #510528 Tue Nov 22 2016 12:18pm
NickR

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys, I did wonder whether it was something specific to the AB seats. Didn't realise they were not electrically heated though, shame I was hoping it was a just a fuse issue and an easy fix.

Post #510579 Wed Nov 23 2016 9:28am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

One of the things I miss from my previous 4 cars that I wasn't able to spec on my current car is the heated steering wheel, it may be psychological but I think it was more effective at warming you up than the heated seats are, I'm sure that if I were a kilt wearer that view might be different! As it is I have to make do with a toasted bum in my current car and no toasted fingers. It's -4c outside this morning and both of my cars have been sat out on the drive overnight............. and are covered in rime and hoar frost. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #510581 Wed Nov 23 2016 10:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Tim, I have seen a TV programme on how US forces have created a hand warming device to combat hyperthermia as they have found heating hands to be the most effective way to heat the rest of the body fast so your observation makes sense. Heated steering on mine is so fast and can feel the heat within seconds.

NickR, AB seats uses electricity to heat the seats, but not with traditional heating elements, but with a peltier device which can be heated or cooled based on the direction of electricity being applied, and then a fans blows the air into the seats, but all that takes time to catch up.

Post #510587 Wed Nov 23 2016 1:13pm
NickR

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys. Agree ref the heated steering wheel - had it on the last car, couldn't live without it now!

If its the same device for both heated and cooled then it must be working as I did also try the cooled seats (before the weather turned!) and it did get cooler, although I thought it just made me feel like I'd wet myself Smile

Post #510590 Wed Nov 23 2016 2:19pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Well despite taking my Defender for a long run yesterday and giving it's battery a good charging and leaving it on a conditioner this morning after the glow plugs had done 3 cycles, when I turned the key in just groaned at me and died! The delights of older cars, no heated seats, no heated steering wheel, no heated front screen (it has a heated rear one and a rear wiper as they were "modern" even in 1996 wghen it was built!), no lock de-icers so you have to warm the key before putting it in the steel locks, but by far the worst issue is that it has a pop out sunroof and when you have finally got the interior defrosted, and the windows no longer freeze on the inside from your breath then the condensation from the sunroof drips icicles down the back of your neck........... Ah the delights of older cars in the winter! Looks like I might have to remove the battery overnight and bring it into the house as it really really looses efficiency when the outside temperatures start to go below zero - the battery is only 18 months old and it is charging fine, just goes on strike in cold weather due to the silly design/ location of the Defender's battery box! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #510592 Wed Nov 23 2016 4:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wilf

Never had that issue with our old Defender (1995 vintage), it always started, even after standing all night below minus 10C.

I reckon that battery, although not old, is below par. If it ahs been flattened a couple of times, that may well have reduced its capacity significantly. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #510596 Wed Nov 23 2016 5:19pm
Triple7

United Kingdom 

Love the LR heated seats for two reasons over other marques owned. You switch them on max and the stay on max. They are also lovely and hot, too hot, perfect. :Not sure I'd like waiting for the engine to get warm before my seats came to life....

Agree, heated steering wheel is a must have option for me now. Gone:
2016.5MY RRS HSE Dyn
2015MY Disco Sport HSE
2011MY FL2 HSE
2010MY RRS HSE
2008MY D3 HSE

Post #510619 Wed Nov 23 2016 10:04pm
Andrew

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Firenze Red

What temperature have you got the climate set at? as it affects seat temperature. 5.0 Ltr Superchrged RRS2, Chile Red, Sideways out of junctions!
TDV8 HST Stornaway on a 08.. remapped.. now gone and replaced, was a mighty fine car..
4.2 SC First Edition when they first came out, quick car!

Post #510626 Wed Nov 23 2016 11:34pm
NickR

United Kingdom 

The car temperature would be set to low twenties with an outside temperature under five degrees.

Post #510634 Thu Nov 24 2016 9:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1