RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > RRS Break In
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

charlie10

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
RRS Break In

I was not aware that the RRS car alarm had two settings - one press of the fob sets the exterior alarm only; two clicks are required to set the full alarm including the interior sensors. My car was broken into by thieves when it was locked on a single click. They smashed the back window, climbed in and passed the bags out. The alarm did not go off!! (RR accept this). Has anyone else experienced this? I accept there is half a page in the manual telling you about double-clicking but it seems to me to be a major design fault that makes you think your car is secure when it is not. The thieves who attacked my car clearly knew about this weakness in the design of the car. Thanks.

Post #509212 Thu Nov 03 2016 10:21am
ozzievechi

England 

double locked mine, they smashed the window and reached in to try open the door (lucky I double clicked lock and dead locked it) and alarm didn't go off....

Post #509223 Thu Nov 03 2016 12:52pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

And for owners of early RRS reading this, its the other way round.

1 press sets deadlocking
2 presses for when leaving someone in the car.

The interior sensors can't be too sensitive. You don't want false alarms.

Post #509224 Thu Nov 03 2016 1:04pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Sorry to hear of your loss, charlie10. However, I believe the weakness is far from the design of the alarm system, but in the owner who does not know how to operate it. The double locking system is typical of car alarms these days, it is the same on the wife's Honda, was the same on my previous Porsche and Mercedes vehicles. It is purposely designed to allow you to leave animals (including children) in the vehicle whilst unattended by the driver.

Sorry, little sympathy for anyone who does not operate their equipment as designed and instructed in the owner's manual. I doubt your insurance Company will be too sympathetic, either.

Comiserations,

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #509225 Thu Nov 03 2016 1:23pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Sorry to hear this - not good Sad

I always deadlock my vehicles using 2 presses believing that's the norm but then discovered on swmbo vehicle it was 1 press Shocked

I have a Mitsubishi now and using their app or settings menu in vehicle I can specify single or double press to deadlock and internal alarm - I've set single for ease as that's my normal mode Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #509230 Thu Nov 03 2016 1:57pm
Blueskye1

Wales 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi Charlie 10

Sad that your first post on this forum is to report of a break in but I for one appreciate you sharing this information.

Like you clearly i am not as knowledgable as some appear to be on this forum being a new owner to RRS..I thought double clicking made the car more secure.

Below pic from my manual some owners buying 2nd or 3rd hand may not have a instruction manual included Question

So I can sympathise with your experience & your post at least has educated me Thumbs Up

Hope you get it all sorted soon.

Andrew My first RRS HSE Purchased June 2016
Java Black 2.7
Date of first registration 22 February 2008
Cousin of the King of Stamford Bridge R.I.P. Ossie

Post #509233 Thu Nov 03 2016 2:48pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I also had a break in (2013) but deadlocks meant they had to climb out the way they came in (jimmied sunroof).

I wish I could set the double locking deadlocks as standard one-press... does anyone know of a way to fudge this? L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #509261 Thu Nov 03 2016 9:23pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

how do the thieves know about this design weakness, in such a way they can flaunt it?

from the outside they is no visible sign

sounds to me, like someone should have read the manual and known how to lock the car correctly, can't be LR's fault

Post #509262 Thu Nov 03 2016 9:27pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I don't think Charlie10 can be blamed for using the manufacturer's default security option. Not so harshly anyways.

If the correct way to lock the car is to double lock it, that should either be default or at least be offered as an option to be made the default.

Land Rover don't have a great reputation for forward thinking security in my opinion. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #509265 Thu Nov 03 2016 9:37pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

when i got my first LR, i found out, which deadlocks and which didn't,

a fraction of a second to double press is not the end of the world, nobody else to blame, LR designed, OP didn't bother reading about it, or checking with dealer what was what

yes they could have done it differently, a button in the car to press, but these are annoying as you press it, you lock it, then when you go back as you forgot something, you need to do it all again, i defy like the LR way of it been set, simple and straight forward

Post #509270 Thu Nov 03 2016 10:11pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

This is a post for all, as well as OP both to help and advise.

Surely anybody purchasing a car, new or used, has a duty unto themselves to read the handbook, especially something as important as locking or unlocking car. All cars built for the last five years and some for much, much longer, have had deadlocks on second click, and some fewer makers with one click, that's another reason why it is so important to read handbook or ask on pick up on important tasks. The risks of not knowing this are very serious, as if deadlocked (2 presses of control unit) then any occupants, generally children or dogs, would not be able to be quickly rescued in an emergency. More than one child has died when a car caught fire and police and ambulance, first on scene, couldn't open dooors to rescue, and fire quickly took hold, preventing rescue through smashing windows, this was all put down to double locking instead of single locking in court.
It's sad when anyone has a break in or damage, but you will find on any insurance claim it will/should be rejected as the vehicle was not correctly locked as stated on Insurers standard databases for damage, theft etc. If not stated on claim as being properly locked you can be charged with fraud. This is not having a go, but warning you of possible catches that do occur, having been involved in cases that have been similar. Social media sites including clubs and forums, like this one, are monitored/watched by authorities and insurance investigators, so for anyone out there, always be careful. Wink

(Watch the BBC TV show in the mornings, showing how investigators do as explained above, for insurance claims and Unemployment benefits etc . Why people put their whole lives, visible to all, on the internet really surprises and shocks me, but does help clear up a lot of crime and fraud). John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #509272 Thu Nov 03 2016 10:56pm
m8ch1n

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

Why are people even leaving children in the car???? That's a more serious issue here!!!

I think you'll find the purpose of the feature is to leave animals in the car. Current: RRS 2010 L320 Facelift 3.0 TD V6 HSE 5dr Alaska White
Gone:Mercedes C220 Estate AMG MY 9/2012 Polar White
Gone:Mitsubishi L200 Raging bull edition MY 9/2009 2.5l DID Red
Gone:BMW 116i MY 4/2006 Silver

Post #509273 Thu Nov 03 2016 11:07pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

It's all very well those saying read the manual all cars are like this.

But myself knowing about cars I was double pressing the lock when I purchased the car.
After a few months I decided to check the deadlocks worked and found they didn't.

Before ripping the car apart I decided a read if the manual would be good to double check and found the RRS1 only needs 1 press to deadlock.

Once I did this the deadlocking worked. Whistle

Post #509276 Thu Nov 03 2016 11:25pm
Johnski

Andy, It Must have changed some year or other, as I have a RRS S1 and that is double click (press) on the fob for deadlocking. Question
Just shows how important it is to check. Whistle John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #509278 Thu Nov 03 2016 11:32pm
Johnski

m8ch1n wrote:
Why are people even leaving children in the car???? That's a more serious issue here!!!

I think you'll find the purpose of the feature is to leave animals in the car.

You would be surprised at the number of calls we got, where children have been reported distraught in back of cars, on arriving to find car has been deadlocked, the slightly elder ones even trying to get out, even in summer, it's not just pets that get left in boiling cars, double locked with no open windows. You have to see it happening to fully understand, but it's often the reason the car alarm keeps going off, resets and off again, generally in supermarket car parks, because the child is moving around.

I would like to think that everyone on here doesn't either leave children unattended in car, and more so double locking it when they are left, making it very difficult for us to gain access.

The idea of the first click basic lock, is "stated" as being for pets and passengers in car, to prevent alarm from going off and for safety reasons. John

Post #509279 Thu Nov 03 2016 11:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>