RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > USB charger install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Guyzer73 wrote:
Tanoverluke, I did something similar to what Beancounter said however installed it in te rear lighter socket to maintain flexibility at the front.

Cheers

Guy

Guy, that looks great, and is the way that I would like to do it as I like to keep as 'factory' looking as possible. Was that just a straight swap or was there hole filing required? Is there any reason I couldn't fit it alongside the Aux socket, on the blank?

Tanloverluke, that one looks like it could be factory fitted (aswell as the one in above pic), do you know already if it would be a straight swap being 29mm hole required, I can't measure mine due to the RRS being at the dealer and me 5000 mile from home Crying or Very sad
I'd want to swap both the front and middle outlets for these as I have no need for the cigar type, and I cannot be faffed with the cubby box USB...what a ridiculous idea.

Dennis 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #504863 Thu Sep 08 2016 6:35pm
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi Dennis the one that I've purchased is not for installation in the cigarette lighter, instead it's to be installed on a panel. If you read the Powerful description, it reads: "This is a stand alone flush mount Dual USB power supply socket...This design has a threaded rear "barrel" that is 33mm long so can be used to mount in any panel from 0 -30mm thick." Thumbs Up Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #504883 Thu Sep 08 2016 11:50pm
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I did somthing simular but wanted it more accessable while driving so installed a charger+aux above the cooler box.

The AUX facing the back seats still works too.

Post #504929 Fri Sep 09 2016 3:57pm
MonteChristo

Poland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

few examples:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quali...2798d2ce0d

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Power-Inve...2798d2ce0d

The same as http://www.powerfuluk.com/12v-usb-caravan-...l-usb.html sell but 10 times expensive.

If you have problem send me PM.

Post #505512 Thu Sep 15 2016 12:45pm
tanloverluke

Thanks to everyone that's helped along the way. I managed to install the charger today, arrived from PowerfulUK, and it's working perfectly. I decided to install it on the dash, by the sat nav screen. There is absolutely nowhere on the centre console where it will fit and I didn't want it in the glovebox because of the reach. Now that it's in place I am in fact extremely happy with the position, easy to access and it means I can still use Google Maps whilst driving.

Wired it up to the cigarette lighter, in case anyone wonders. The live feed is the green/white cable. As for the charge performance I compared this to my house charger; in-car charge from 48% to 66% within 17 minutes and in-house charge from 65% to 81% within 17 minutes. I had the engine running for this test and when comparing the two I'm very happy with the charge performance.

The location of the charger has to be quite precise otherwise the barrel won't fit. You need about 60mm of space behind wherever you want to install the charger, in my case I had this but 5mm too close to the screen or too close to the ledge and it wouldn't have fitted. Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.

Post #505558 Thu Sep 15 2016 10:52pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Referencing earlier posts on the charging amps for any type charger, a higher amp number doesn't mean a faster charge unless your phone/device can use it, or the voltage is outwith standard USB 5 volt spec as many larger devices now are. What the amp rating means is the potential amps available. So a phone which has a 1 amp charge draw will charge in exactly the same time on either of those usb outlets, or in your house charger if so rated. If a device has a 1.5 amp draw then it will be restricted to 1 amp charge on the 1 amp outlet, but full 1.5 amp on the 2.1 amp outlet. But no harm will be done using the 1 amp outlet, just a slower charge - this can be useful with modern lithium batteries as it can apparently shorten their life when charging to 100% - daft, but supposed to be true (I've changed my charge habits completely after reading tests on this). Then a large tablet etc. with bigger amp draw would be recommended to use the 2.1 amp outlet but probably manage on the 1 amp fine just slower. I have found my tablet didn't like it on a 0.5 amp charger as it must've been too low, or was possibly poor quality.
For the volts, this is the amount of electrical pressure available, so like the Nexus 7 I have with a 5.2 volt charger then it will charge slightly faster than a 5 volt charger with the same amp rating. This is how the newer fast charging works like Qualcomm Quick Charge etc. as these use higher voltages in stages up to I think 12 volt, maybe more. Perfect for a quick top up if urgent but I would never want to charge with it daily unless I wanted a short lived battery.

Back on track... now you've got that charger, would you think it would go in the hole where the cigarette outlet currently is? Like a straight swap? It frustrates me how they fitted a USB outlet but tucked it under the armrest, like we want to hide our phones away in there each time to charge! 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #505564 Thu Sep 15 2016 11:56pm
tanloverluke

Thanks for the info insiorc, that certainly is food for thought.

I think you could take out the cigarette lighter and replace it with the usb charger. I compared the sizes and they look the same. No harm in trying Thumbs Up Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #505569 Fri Sep 16 2016 8:22am
Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

In my pic the cigarette lighter is removed and the hole slightly enlarged to accept a force fit 'standard' cigarette lighter USB charger. But looking at the hard wire option from tanloverluke I might get a couple and replace the existing USB and cigarette lighters...

Great stuff guys Thumbs Up 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #505571 Fri Sep 16 2016 8:40am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

insiorc wrote:

Back on track... now you've got that charger, would you think it would go in the hole where the cigarette outlet currently is? Like a straight swap? It frustrates me how they fitted a USB outlet but tucked it under the armrest, like we want to hide our phones away in there each time to charge!

Do you not have the Usb socket under the Flap in the panel between the Front Seats? although you would nearly need to be double jointed to reach it from front seats. Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Cheers
Col

Post #505573 Fri Sep 16 2016 9:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12