RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Finance & Insurance > Anyone tried scratch insurance?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

jpegnall

United Kingdom 
Anyone tried scratch insurance?

Came up as an added option on my GAP quote - 3 years for £300 roughly. Covers smart repair of minor scratches/dents.

Anyone gone for this or tried to make a claim on this sort of policy?

Post #487651 Tue Feb 16 2016 4:43pm
Nowaytk

England 

I didn't get it but my friend got it when he got his disco, where he parks it, he backs up real close to a pebbledash wall but had forgotten to put the handbrake on so when he released the brake peddle it rocked back causing small marks in the rear bumper along its length. He fang the insurance people, then after sending in a photo of the damage they sent a guy round who done the repair ( you wouldn't of known there was damage, looked like new after ), all ha had to do was give the guy £10 which apparently is a admin charge, so in his case was he was very pleased he had the insurance. 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #487656 Tue Feb 16 2016 5:17pm
jpegnall

United Kingdom 

Thanks, good to know. I'd had bad luck with cars getting keyed etc so am considering taking this out.

Post #487659 Tue Feb 16 2016 5:31pm
Nowaytk

England 

Just be careful and read the small print, some will only cover a scratch up to a certain length 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #487661 Tue Feb 16 2016 5:50pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I took out stone chip / minor damage insurance with ALA for my RRS. It was cheap for the 3 year deal and transferable.

Last year I noticed a scratch on the R/O/S wheel arch so decided to give the insurance a try out. I also had a couple of small sto e chips on the bonnet.

When I called I immediately had to pay £15 excess before they would even book me in. I then had to wait 2 weeks for the guy to come out to my house. I showed him the scratch and the stone chips, which resulted in him having to call his office for advice. 20 minutes later he tells me that really the scratch and 2 stone chips constitute 3 separate claims!

I told him in no uncertain terms that I expected everything to be sorted as one claim, so he calls the office again. 10 minutes later he is all smiles and tells me that it's all been sorted.

So, he starts on the 2 stone chips. My RRS is Santorini Black, so he goes to his van and comes back with a black permanent Sharpe marker pen.

"What's that for?" I ask.

"This is what we use on stone chips on black cars" he replies.

"Not on my ******g car you don't!" I tell him.

He looks crestfallen and is lost for words, so........he phones his office again. After 20 minutes he is still on the phone so I tell him to leave. He tells his office "The bloke is kicking me off his driveway now!" He looks close to tears.............

Later that day I put in a complaint to ALA. they refund my my £15 excess and cancel my policy.

A couple of days later I get a Groupon deal for scratch removal and stone chip repair drop into my email in box. There is a guy 5 miles from me offering repairs for £15. I give him a ring and tell him the problem. "Bring it down this afternoon" he tells me.

I pop down. He is a Landie fan and I let him have a good look around my car. We talk about detailing and what wax etc I use and he gives me a few tips. He then repairs the stone chips, polishes out the scratch and does an excellent job.

Just as he finishes my wife pulls up in her Ewoke to see how I am getting on. The chap then has a look around her car and notices that she has a couple of stone chips. "Do you have a spare 30 minutes?" he asks

He then repairs her stone chips as it they have never been there.

"How much do I owe you? I ask.

"£15" he says.

So I give him £30, and he promptly gives me £15 back and says "No £15 will cover both cars"

I try to give him the £30 again but he refuses, and eventually accepts £20, but tells me that he will touch up any further stone chips for free.........

I'll never waste my money on stone chip insurance again!

Last edited by jim4244 on Wed Feb 17 2016 8:12am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #487756 Wed Feb 17 2016 4:10am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Nice outcome Thumbs Up

Post #487765 Wed Feb 17 2016 8:08am
Jaggs

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Black sharpie pen Rolling with laughter

I'm going to start offering smart repairs on black cars Nanocom Evo

Post #487769 Wed Feb 17 2016 8:26am
jim4244

I kid you not! Apparently he and his company used them "Just to take the emphasis away from the chip"

Post #487772 Wed Feb 17 2016 8:52am
whippetman

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

What company came out tops?

Post #487779 Wed Feb 17 2016 9:54am
jpegnall

United Kingdom 

That is useful! The policy I was looking at was with ALA - I don't think I will be continuing with that then!

What area are you in Jim - would love to know who did your chips for £15! I could do with someone like that...

Post #487795 Wed Feb 17 2016 2:28pm
jim4244

Sadly I'm a fair distance from you up on the Bedfordshire / Northamptonshire boarder.

I used a chap named "Chris" who runs a small unit on the Leyland Trading Estate in Wellingborough N'Hants.

Jim

Post #487802 Wed Feb 17 2016 4:08pm
Mr Rusty

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

I've had good experience with ChipsAway. Think they are a national franchise. Came to my house a few times and defo don't use marks pens! Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up 2015 RRS AB SDV6, Fuji White, Ivory
2012 RRS HSE SDV6, Sumatra Black and Ivory
Audi A5, 3.0 TDI, Gone
Audi TT, 3.2 V6, Gone
BMW 5 series tourer, Gone

Post #487828 Wed Feb 17 2016 8:04pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

^^^^^^

Me too! The local Chips Away franchisee did work on my previous Porsche and on the wife's Honda. Both jobs were completed with an excellent result and not outrageously expensive. The added bonus is they do it right there on your drive way, so no getting away with using Sharpie pens!!

Regards,

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #487895 Thu Feb 18 2016 11:17am
LG8340

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black
Dented doors from inconsiderate parkers

I'm so fed up with inconsiderate parkers. But Dentman, or to give him his real name, Martin Leach, is a true dent magician.

Provided the paint is still intact Martin, with an assortment of weirdly shaped probes and nylon punches, works under flourescent light to reveal any tell tale ripple and finesses the metal back into showroom finish.

His standards are nothing short of 100% and will restore the pride in your RRS in an hour. RRS (MY13) Santorini Black SDV6 HSE luxuary
Gone: Evoque, Freelander 2, Mercedes 320 CLK, Porsche 911's

Post #502671 Fri Aug 12 2016 4:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1