RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > 2.7 TDV6 gearbox weirdness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

HS66

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey
2.7 TDV6 gearbox weirdness

Noticed this morning my car when pulling away in first seems to not want to change up until about 3500 rpm sometimes, it I put it in manual it changes up straight away and down, there are no noises or clunks and the gearbox is smooth which makes me think this is more likely a software issue?, I've noticed it only seems to do it now I've replaced the intercooler pipe, could it be just the memory of how it was before?, or am I looking at an expensive bill?, if it is the memory how do I reset it?, battery disconnect or something else?.

Post #493904 Tue Apr 19 2016 6:57am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Are you getting any messages on the dash? Ie, limited performance or HDC not available? To do a reset IIRC, disconnect both battery terminals, and touch them together for 15 seconds, then reconnect. But i can't see this being the problem. By doing that you are erasing the fault code if there is one stored and perhaps making it harder to find the fault. Are you getting any black smoke out of the exhausts? If so, it might be your EGR valves that are at fault, or your EGR cooler. Both common faults.

Post #493905 Tue Apr 19 2016 7:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HS66

I'm not getting any fault codes or reduced performance warnings, plus it feels like it's performing well, it's literally only in first where it holds it longer than I think it should, but the gearbox changes up and down normally.
Being a Land Rover I've got to wonder if it was just having a funny 5 minutes I will see if it does it when I go home tonight.
If it's the EGR valve being blocked, which, I suppose it could be as I don't know how long the intercooler pipe was split for before I got the car so the EGR could be clogged up with soot, can I blank the valves off easily enough instead?, it's a 2005 model.

Post #493906 Tue Apr 19 2016 8:01am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

My 2006 2.7 once did this but threw up a HDC fault on the dash after a long run, only did it the once. After switching the ignition off, then back on again, it didn't do it again. Part of the RRS charactristics i guess. Confused

Post #493908 Tue Apr 19 2016 8:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tom0311

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I've noticed mine do it a couple of times, mainly after accelerating then staying at a constant speed. I've found when it happens I have to make sure I've stopped accelerating COMPLETELY then it shifts up. No faults though, and it doesn't happen all the time. I guessed it was an RRS thing.

Post #493909 Tue Apr 19 2016 8:39am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Check your brake bulbs and consider changing the brake switch (http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/xkb500030...-738-p.asp - 5 mins to replace). Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #493912 Tue Apr 19 2016 9:37am
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Is the delayed shifting not normal operating procedure for the gearbox until the engine etc. reaches working temperature ?

Post #493931 Tue Apr 19 2016 11:39am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

No, it isn't normal. It should shift gears when required wheather it is warm or cold. What mileage is your vehicle on?

Post #493933 Tue Apr 19 2016 11:47am
HS66

It's on 104k, going in for belt service this week, it doesn't feel clunky or shift badly just seems reluctant to go up to second from first on pull away, but to be fair it only has done it on the way to work this morning, will let you know if it does it in my way home later.

Post #493939 Tue Apr 19 2016 12:43pm
Brutus

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Autobiography Java Black
Re: 2.7 TDV6 gearbox weirdness

HS66 wrote:
Noticed this morning my car when pulling away in first seems to not want to change up until about 3500 rpm sometimes, it I put it in manual it changes up straight away and down, there are no noises or clunks and the gearbox is smooth which makes me think this is more likely a software issue?, I've noticed it only seems to do it now I've replaced the intercooler pipe, could it be just the memory of how it was before?, or am I looking at an expensive bill?, if it is the memory how do I reset it?, battery disconnect or something else?.

I have a similar problem. I was going to ask if a gearbox flush would sort the problem?

I towed at the weekend and found that it wouldn't change up to 6th without going to manual. Very strange.......

Post #493944 Tue Apr 19 2016 1:18pm
HS66

It didn't do it at all on the way home, must have just been having a moment earlier.

Post #493961 Tue Apr 19 2016 5:00pm
HS66

Ok this is weird, it did it again this morning at the same junction!!, again when put into manual mode it shifted straight away.
Anyone have any ideas?, I wouldn't have thought egr issues would cause funny shifting, only thing I can think of is its cold this morning maybe the fluid was a bit thick?, but it didn't do it when first leaving my house, only after about 15 minutes, at the same junction.

Post #493997 Wed Apr 20 2016 6:53am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Brake bulbs + switch can cause similar issues, as can things such as fuel pressure

Get it plugged in and checked for faults first Thumbs Up

Post #494002 Wed Apr 20 2016 8:55am
HS66

Thinking about it, could a different battery cause it?, I've had low voltage do similar things before in other cars, what makes me think this is, when I first start sometimes the battery light stays on for a second after, plus in the morning I still have the lights on and the heated seat on too which is more of a voltage drain compared to the afternoon.
It's in for its cambelt service later today anyway so will ask them to plug it in and see what codes come up.

Post #494007 Wed Apr 20 2016 9:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1