RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Theft problem - gone away?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

wilf

Theft problem - gone away?

I was wondering if anyone had any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, to suggest that the software updates LR introduced have actually stopped the key cloning issue that was at the root of the spate of RR and RRS thefts last year? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #493768 Mon Apr 18 2016 11:45am
wilf

So, 170 replies and no replies.

Would I be right to surmise then, that the theft problem has eased since the KVM update?

I can recall many threads saying how poor the situation was a while back (and how JLR should be ashamed of themselves)- since they have stopped being posted, has the theft problem stopped too?

Or at least, this specific mode of car stealing? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #493949 Tue Apr 19 2016 2:00pm
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Vulnerability that allowed the ability to add blank keys have been removed with the new KVM, as its read only, so to replace/add a new key also means replacing the KVM so I would say that stealing issue with blank keys has gone away from all MY16 upward cars as well as older models that has gone through the KVM recall.
As with all modern tech I am sure techy car thieves are working hard to find a new vulnerability.

Post #493974 Tue Apr 19 2016 8:09pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Could it be that insurers have hiked premiums so much for RRS that LR and owners are now fully aware of how serious the problem was and are now much more careful? Also the location of the OBD port has been moved to a less accessible location and KVM software now only allows the two original keys only to be recognized so cloning them is now much more difficult BUT I suppose it is only a matter of time before the hackers suss out a get around for the system. The presence of InControl Remote on all recent cars must also help a bit as a deterrent. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #493975 Tue Apr 19 2016 8:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
baxc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I think the problem now is if they really want your car they will break in to your house to get the keys, i know this as we have had this done to us

Post #493976 Tue Apr 19 2016 8:18pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

^+1 but it was for the keys to my Evoque and the FFRR that I had. Oddly I have never had any attempt to steal my Defender, both times it has been the modern car that has been targeted. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #493977 Tue Apr 19 2016 8:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1