RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > SVR exhaust note
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

MafroSVR

United States 
SVR exhaust note

This is a question for engineers I suppose. I had shown my SVR to some older gentleman that are much more familiar with 68' Camaro's/Mustangs/Corvettes than they are with todays beasts of engines. They commented on how my exhaust crackles and pops so much stating it should't crackle and pop and that the mapping must be off. Now, I for one absolutely love the crackles and pops but they gave me a complex. Can someone explain and help cure my anxiety? Neutral

Post #490558 Thu Mar 10 2016 7:45pm
Farmer Chalk

I think you'll find its engineered in specifically for effect..... The crackles and pops is unburnt fuel hitting the hot exhausts and igniting...

On turbo cars they do this purposely to keep the turbos spooling and ready to deliver instant acceleration and power when changing gear...

Most engines will ignite unburnt fuel in their exhausts but because the silencers are so effective in reducing noise and are restrictive you don't hear it.....
Because the SVR is using free flow headers and exhaust silencers that are not restrictive and allow the exhaust gases to escape easily you also get to hear the pops and bangs....

My 1973 BMW 2002 fitted with 3.5 litre engine gets three foot rooster tails of flame out of the exhaust on change up when hot!

Post #490560 Thu Mar 10 2016 7:58pm
MafroSVR

United States 

Thanks for the reply. The guys that I spoke to gave me quite a lesson in unburnt fuel Evil or Very Mad But I'd also like to know some tidbits of information specific to why SVO made those changes. Was it purely for exhilaration every time I hit the gas, or for another purpose similar to what you mentioned regarding turbo's.

Post #490563 Thu Mar 10 2016 8:08pm
Farmer Chalk

I think it's a mixture of both....the very nature of free flow exhausts will allow gases and the noises to be heard more than a vehicle with normal exhausts... And I think the JLR engineers create a fuel map that gives you the aural excitement....

It only needs a little retardation or squirt of fuel at the right time to give you the gorgeous sound you hear.!
Tell your friends to go and buy a Prius.... And let you enjoy the sound of English engineering! It's only jealousy.... Very Happy

Post #490564 Thu Mar 10 2016 8:20pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

For pure fun. What's better than keeping the injectors running for a little longer letting unburnt fuel hit the hot exhaust. Very Happy

Anti-lag is only needed with big turbos.

Pops and bangs on the overrun happened with old V8s on carbs as these run rich on lift-off: 2:40 - http://www.kidston.com/view_movie.php?id=46 

Post #490566 Thu Mar 10 2016 8:25pm
sagalout

It would have been even better if they could have instigated flames out of the back like my remapped GSXR used to do!

Post #490585 Fri Mar 11 2016 8:33am
DaveW

United Kingdom 

Don't worry Jeff,
It's absolutely deliberate and completely harmless to the engine cal.

For maximum effect, Dynamic Sport mode, select a low gear and just let it over-run downhill into villages..... Rolling with laughter

And the old guys you're talking too are probably still on carbs at '68 so yes, that would signify an air leak on those systems

Post #490592 Fri Mar 11 2016 10:01am
MafroSVR

United States 

Thanks all! I knew you guys would have the answers! Very Happy

Post #490621 Fri Mar 11 2016 3:46pm
wilf

When I was running a 427 Cobra on sunny days (full on 7 litre Yank V8 job), I used to deliberately open the slip joints on the headers a touch to generate those very pops and bangs.

Could set off alarms with ease, too, lol. That thing made an SVR sound almost modest. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #490625 Fri Mar 11 2016 4:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1