RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > What should be in the tool Kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

IRBails

Australia 
What should be in the tool Kit

I am just going over my car , to make sure I can change a wheel and do any easy stuff. I notice there is a place under the spare for tools but apart from the wheel wrench I don't seem to have any equipment. So my question is from the learn'd lot is what are the tools that one should carry?

I am thinking :-

Air compressor, there does not seem to be a way to access the vehicle compressor.
Tyre Plug kit
Snatch strap, although I don't quiet know yet where I would connect.
Led Light
Jumper Leads , unless there is a spare battery , which there may be with the stop start model?
Wheel chocks to stop rolling off the jack , and incase the electric hand brake does not work on all 4 wheels.

Any other ideas? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #490021 Fri Mar 04 2016 10:53pm
Mr Rusty

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

See here...

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic33726.html?highlight=toolkit

Thumbs Up 2015 RRS AB SDV6, Fuji White, Ivory
2012 RRS HSE SDV6, Sumatra Black and Ivory
Audi A5, 3.0 TDI, Gone
Audi TT, 3.2 V6, Gone
BMW 5 series tourer, Gone

Post #490029 Fri Mar 04 2016 11:52pm
IRBails

Australia 

Chris, I have a spare tyre , so although this looks good no room. Looks like all the hard off road types that buy a RRS call roadside if they get a flat ? In the land of OZ you could wait days , so being a little self sufficient in the the worlds best 4WD seems logical to me? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #490044 Sat Mar 05 2016 7:45am
Mr Rusty

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Hi IRBails

I have a spare too. It's underneath he car. The tools although not as complete as above allow me to change a wheel. Are u saying u don't have a spare currently?

I had a Honda once that just came with quick repair filler in the boot. Used it once it ruined my new tyre which could have been fixed!

Agreed you defo need all the kit on these things!

Thumbs Up 2015 RRS AB SDV6, Fuji White, Ivory
2012 RRS HSE SDV6, Sumatra Black and Ivory
Audi A5, 3.0 TDI, Gone
Audi TT, 3.2 V6, Gone
BMW 5 series tourer, Gone

Post #490045 Sat Mar 05 2016 7:54am
IRBails

Australia 

Chris I do have the required tools to change a spare, But I wanted ideas and knowledge what others on the forum carried in the way of spares. I mean if you get bogged what recovery gear do you carry ? If you get two punctures what next ? Seems that since we have an off road vehicle then we need to have some recovery tools. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #490106 Sat Mar 05 2016 9:24pm
IRBails

Australia 

Also I notice in the manual, there is advice on filling the add blue DPF tank if it runs low. I am wondering if any members have had this experience and what the process is. I did a search but nothing turned up that I could make sense of. Service stations sell the stuff in Australia , but I am wondering if filling requires a special pack of the stuff at Land Rover pricing or can I just use the stuff at the servos? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #490109 Sat Mar 05 2016 9:42pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

LR reckons that with "normal" use you should not need to top up with AdBlu between annual services, if the light comes on between services in the UK then you just take your car into a dealership for a free top up. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #490112 Sat Mar 05 2016 10:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IRBails

Australia 

Tim Australia does not have a lot of dealers, so this is why I am asking how where and when type questions. I could easily be 2000 miles from a dealer and now road side assist so I am keen to work out how not to be be stopped by simple basic things.
have a look at the link:-

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/l405-l494-range-...esert.html

No repair shops where this car is. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #490114 Sat Mar 05 2016 10:15pm
PetesRRS

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Fuji White

When traveling I carry ARB tyre plug kit, compressor, socket set, screw driver set, booster battery, pliers etc, epoxy putty etc. Jumper leads, windscreen glass repair kit. Oil, coolant additive and water
Do not have Ad Blue.on my SDV6. We live in a big country with vast remote areas.so like to carry as much as I can as insurance.

Post #490120 Sun Mar 06 2016 6:49am
wilf

On the service menu, you can see how much AdBlue is left in terms of miles, ditto miles to next service.
If the former is greater than the latter, no problemo! MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #490126 Sun Mar 06 2016 8:26am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

IR, AdBlu - fill the reservoir up just before leaving, should give you around 18,000 Km's motoring! AdBlu shouldn't be too hard to find as every Audi and Mercedes Benz built in the the last 2 years or so needs it for their Diesel engines too. We can now buy it in some supermarkets and most auto stores hold a stock, even in Aussie I would think it isn't too hard to find on the www.

One thing to be very careful with if you have an OEM spare wheel is the LR jack. It is lethal and not at all suitable for the intended use if you have the scissor type jack.

Interesting to read the link that you posted to see that you can get AT's from the main stream makers out there that aren't available here. I ran my last RRS on Goodyear MTR's as they were then the only aggressive tyre available for RRS's and they have since gone out of production with the demise of the G4 Challenge. Finding something with a suitable sidewall and 20" for the L494 here isn't easy and I don't want to go down the retread/ remould route, will have to have a look out locally for some Pirelli Scorpion ATs.

I bought my RRS intending to reduce from 2 SUV's to one very capable one....................... It is proving extremely hard to part company with my 20 year old Defender TDi300! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #490130 Sun Mar 06 2016 9:10am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IRBails

Australia 

PetesRRS wrote:
When traveling I carry ARB tyre plug kit, compressor, socket set, screw driver set, booster battery, pliers etc, epoxy putty etc. Jumper leads, windscreen glass repair kit. Oil, coolant additive and water
Do not have Ad Blue.on my SDV6. We live in a big country with vast remote areas.so like to carry as much as I can as insurance.

This is the sort of gear I used to carry in my R50, trying to load it in the RR is much harder due to the spare , which I love having. I intend to put the snatch strap under the spare and then work on tool storage, ,mini compressor is the hard bit. Alternative is to have some sort of box that I can add and tie down for trips. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #490192 Sun Mar 06 2016 8:27pm
IRBails

Australia 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
IR, AdBlu - fill the reservoir up just before leaving, should give you around 18,000 Km's motoring! AdBlu shouldn't be too hard to find as every Audi and Mercedes Benz built in the the last 2 years or so needs it for their Diesel engines too. We can now buy it in some supermarkets and most auto stores hold a stock, even in Aussie I would think it isn't too hard to find on the www.

One thing to be very careful with if you have an OEM spare wheel is the LR jack. It is lethal and not at all suitable for the intended use if you have the scissor type jack.

Interesting to read the link that you posted to see that you can get AT's from the main stream makers out there that aren't available here. I ran my last RRS on Goodyear MTR's as they were then the only aggressive tyre available for RRS's and they have since gone out of production with the demise of the G4 Challenge. Finding something with a suitable sidewall and 20" for the L494 here isn't easy and I don't want to go down the retread/ remould route, will have to have a look out locally for some Pirelli Scorpion ATs.

I bought my RRS intending to reduce from 2 SUV's to one very capable one....................... It is proving extremely hard to part company with my 20 year old Defender TDi300!

Thanks Tim, yes the add blue is easy to find, how ever I was interested if any members have tried to fill the tank themselves so I could have a bit of a heads up to the process. Also 18,000 k's will come up before service so knowing what to do will be good. I used to fill the R50 DPF fluid up, a very toxic mix that would produce a stain on your drive that so far has been impossible to remove.

For tyres I like 20 inch wheels for the same reason as you, I pulled the 21 inch off my R50 to have better access to tyre choice , and will most likely source some 20 inch wheels for the RRS so I can fit some good tyres at better prices. I have used Coopers , and these were good for wear and off road use. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #490194 Sun Mar 06 2016 8:35pm
rangiejools

Australia 

IRBails wrote:
PetesRRS wrote:

This is the sort of gear I used to carry in my R50, trying to load it in the RR is much harder due to the spare , which I love having. I intend to put the snatch strap under the spare and then work on tool storage, ,mini compressor is the hard bit. Alternative is to have some sort of box that I can add and tie down for trips.

You will need a set of Torx bits. SDV8 arrived and fantastic even the infotainment!
1983 2 door Range Rover ARB Bar X9000 winch ARB Rear Bar now semi retired.
Many big trips done in this one.
1982 Rangerover nearly restored.
22 Defender D250 with lots of stuff for outback touring
Nice 2013 Freelander TD4 manual (for daughter to learn on) with much better stereo compared with previous SD4 SE with Meridian which sounded bad!
2013 Land Rover Defender ute.

Post #490214 Mon Mar 07 2016 12:10am
IRBails

Australia 

Torx bits I have carried them with previous car. So all I really need now is were do I fill the Add Blue and do I need special container, anyone? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #490220 Mon Mar 07 2016 9:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>