RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Range Rover Sport Most Stolen and Recovered Car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Mark_N

United Kingdom 
Range Rover Sport Most Stolen and Recovered Car

That's the headline on a news web-site today which lists 3 LRs in the top ten along with BMW, Mercedes and Audi.

The immediate reaction of course is to say LR are in denial, head buried in the sand and so on until you realise the list has come from Tracker and is therefore likely to relate to previous generation cars than current ones which, if they have the factory-fit InControl, will not appear on Tracker's list. So it turns out to be a bit of a promotional effort by Tracker themselves rather than an accurate assessment of the vulnerability of current RRS production.

Nevertheless, it's unfortunate to have the name in the frame so to speak and we can only hope insurance companies can tell the difference. For us RRS owners, extra care when locking the car to ensure it is actually locked is a first step. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #488856 Thu Feb 25 2016 5:08am
JKay

Australia 

What were the other LR's that featured out of curiosity ?

Post #488857 Thu Feb 25 2016 5:38am
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

People appear to be loosing a lot of Defenders, and I remember reading somewhere that they were the most stolen 4X4 in the UK?

I have also read reports of people waking up in the morning only to find that some towrag had stolen various parts off their Defender, including doors, bonnets, grills etc..... Shocked

Jim

Post #488860 Thu Feb 25 2016 6:40am
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Towrag ? That's Volkswagen isn't it ? Very Happy

Post #488870 Thu Feb 25 2016 9:53am
DrFox1969

Australia 
Re: Range Rover Sport Most Stolen and Recovered Car

Mark_N wrote:
That's the headline on a news web-site today which lists 3 LRs in the top ten along with BMW, Mercedes and Audi.

The immediate reaction of course is to say LR are in denial, head buried in the sand and so on until you realise the list has come from Tracker and is therefore likely to relate to previous generation cars than current ones which, if they have the factory-fit InControl, will not appear on Tracker's list. So it turns out to be a bit of a promotional effort by Tracker themselves rather than an accurate assessment of the vulnerability of current RRS production.

Nevertheless, it's unfortunate to have the name in the frame so to speak and we can only hope insurance companies can tell the difference. For us RRS owners, extra care when locking the car to ensure it is actually locked is a first step.

There are a few articles about this. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/roa...stems.html

It would appear that it is related to keyless entry systems fitted to premium vehicles, which are prone to hacking.

"The growth in keyless car entry and ignitions systems that are prone to hacking could be making it easier for thieves to break into cars. Criminals target these vehicles by bypassing their security systems using technology they've bought on the internet." 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #488874 Thu Feb 25 2016 10:11am
DrFox1969

Australia 

JKay wrote:

Top ten cars most frequently stolen and recovered in 2015

1. Range Rover Sport
2. BMW X5
3. Range Rover Vogue
4. Mercedes Benz C220
5. BMW 3 Series
6. Mercedes Benz C63
7. BMW 5 Series
8. Audi RS4
9. Range Rover Autobiography
10. Audi Q7
 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #488875 Thu Feb 25 2016 10:13am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

JKay wrote:

Yes RR Vogue and RR AB, obviously using the same key/access technology. It's difficult to say what the statistics really mean because of the bias towards Tracker and will not include other premium makes like Porsche who have standard fit Cobra/Vodafone devices. Still, it matches anecdotal evidence that RRSs are vulnerable. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #488876 Thu Feb 25 2016 10:21am
Autobiography

It is now impossible to pair new keys to the KVM as they are read only. This was what the thieves used to do. Only way now would be installing a new KVM and new keys.

Obviously stealing keys is still an option...

Post #488878 Thu Feb 25 2016 10:40am
JKay

Australia 

Cheers DrFox/Mark

Has LR now fixed the problem with the new KVM then? I'm assuming all late model vehicles have had this update ?
(Sorry I'm about as technical as a frog)

Post #488882 Thu Feb 25 2016 11:00am
Autobiography

Campaign is available for all L494 vehicles. Update applied from factory from circa 15.5MY.

Post #488885 Thu Feb 25 2016 11:10am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

IIRC there was a concerted effort by LR, Audi and BMW in 2014 after the BBC program Watchdog demostrated how easy it was to clone the transponder. My Evoque and both key its fobs were subjected to a recall to verify that no additional key fobs had been created/ cloned from the transponders. Also now ONLY 2 fobs are recognised by the system, none can be added without having the KVM recoded for an additional key by a dealership. Regarding Defenders............. up until very recently Defender might as well have been supplied with no locks at all as they were so cheap and crude, a bent hairpin could substitute! When the Puma Defenders came out in 2007 with all sorts of ECU's then the keys changed but again to to anything very sophisticated. I was warned years ago when I ahd a Disco2 to make sure that I put superglue or loctite into the screw fixers for my rear lights as removal of the rear cover/ lamp units or even removing a lamp and putting the light unit back in place would inhibit the factory alarm system! This was changed in about 2002 as my Disco was subject to a free modification for that little problem. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #488890 Thu Feb 25 2016 11:27am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JKay

Australia 

Well I do hope they have actually sorted it now.... The thought terrifies me, having previously lost an M3 this way in London

Post #488893 Thu Feb 25 2016 12:40pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I found one way to deter lowlifes was to by a car that was a weird spec! Having have attempted thefts of a 2010MY Stornaway Grey FFRR Vogue, 2007 RRS TDv8 and a Fuji White Evoque Coupe by breaking into my house loking for keys that might have been left behind while I was away at sea I was advised by the local police that when I bought my next Range Rover to buy one in the most unpopular colour and vomit inducing interior I could find as nobody would want to steal such an individual sspec car! Also my Giverny Green with Aspen and Parchment interior never got touched. The Evoque was Zanzibar bronze with a tan interior, nobody tried to move that one but then it was so liable to breakdown that might have been another discouraging factor if they had been reading about it online!! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #488912 Thu Feb 25 2016 4:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

Unfortunately all true....the RRS was a massive target in the central London boroughs and was stolen by use of plug in key cloning devices...
Thieves would use the likes of car washes, airport car parks, valet parking etc as an easy obvious ways of easy access to clone keys but developed some pretty clever techniques....

The vehicle recall is imperative and all owners need to ensure that the work has been carried out on their car!

Basically it knocks out the ability to teach the car another key.... Hence make sure you look after the pair you have!

Post #488997 Fri Feb 26 2016 8:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1