RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Rear Camera Wash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Dave777

United Kingdom 

It is automatic with the rear screen wash. MY16 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography in Aleutian silver, stealth pack and toys.

Post #481482 Wed Dec 02 2015 2:49pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

An update for those of you who are interested, I'm on the case and it isn't trivial unfortunately. I'm working to identify the parts needed and how to install. Basically, there's a new camera holder, the washer jet and hoses to run across the bottom of the rear window, up the left hand edge of the tailgate and hook into the water supply where it feeds to the rear wash jet in the spoiler.

Key is whether they modified the alloy tailgate casting to accommodate the routing of the hose. If they did, it becomes a non-starter.

I've also done an informal survey of parked FFRR and RRS's here in Gloucestershire and their cameras at this time of year are uniformly filthy, so the modification will be worth doing.

The hope is I'll be able to document it for DIY (albeit with a decent skill level) installation and a parts list. No idea on cost yet but it's unlikely to be low, unfortunately. Rest assured, I won't recommend you do it if it's high risk. For me, it's a case of "I've started so I'll finish". Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #482616 Wed Dec 16 2015 8:05pm
wilf

Would be a worthwhile mod, as the rear camera wash is really effective for me. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #482618 Wed Dec 16 2015 8:40pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the encouragement - I'd be disappointed if you had said "don't know why you're bothering, it doesn't work anyway"! Mark

Post #482646 Thu Dec 17 2015 6:49am
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

We'd all wait until you had completed that, found out for yourself, and then had a "knew that" moment Wink Whistle

Post #482647 Thu Dec 17 2015 7:57am
Autobiography

It loses its effectiveness when it's really dirty. The amount of spray on the RRS rear end is unlike any other car I've driven.

Post #482732 Thu Dec 17 2015 6:58pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

The latest is you cannot buy the new plastic mount which fits above the licence plate and holds the jet which fires across the lens surface without also buying the camera too; £250 or thereabouts. There's a nagging suspicion they may have changed the camera spec to improve picture quality so will the new camera work in the old car or can the old camera be transferred to the new mount?

The hose from the jet runs left across the bottom of the rear window under the body coloured panel, through a hole I cant find, sharp right hand turn and up the left hand edge with press-fit clips into more holes I cannot find to hold it in place. So the worry is they've changed the tailgate alloy casting which is the structural component of the tailgate.

So that's before the hose even makes it to the top to connect somehow to the water supply. Mark

Post #482786 Fri Dec 18 2015 9:16am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

member on Freel2 rigged a spray for his Freelander 2 rear camera

it was a april fool joke as its powered by him squirting a syringe but could be adapted

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic22849.html?highlight=camera+wash

Post #482799 Fri Dec 18 2015 1:45pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Interesting, thank you. My natural inclination is to try to replicate the official MY16 installation but if that's not possible, a straightforward DIY solution like this will be better! You can think of one of those Heath Robinson cartoons with say a bucket hung from some sort of outrigger... Mark

Post #482802 Fri Dec 18 2015 2:22pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Drawn a blank on this I'm afraid. It turns out the tailgate for the 2016 MY is different and is likely to have been updated for the rear camera wash because I could not see how the pipework is routed on the old tailgate.

We can safely say then that it's not possible to retrofit this at sensible cost. Mark

Post #484597 Tue Jan 12 2016 2:29pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Built in obsolensence! Just think how rare your car has just become, one of a handful produced that cannot have a reversing cam washer jet............ Rolling with laughter 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #484603 Tue Jan 12 2016 4:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I think if you had access to the LR parts bin, you could try to make it work but with only the line drawings to go by, it's difficult. The camera holder only comes compete with camera at something like £300, so you could quickly end up spending a lot without actually getting there. I'm nervous about taking the tailgate spoiler off to get at the hose which connects to the rear window jet. As always, if there was access to documentation and a parts catalogue I could browse (like the Russians provided for the Evoque), it would help.

A packet of wet wipes in the driver's door appears to be the lo-tech solution. Mark

Post #484612 Tue Jan 12 2016 5:29pm
Renaco

Germany 

Did anyone tell how the cam-washer is in use?
Maybe it splashes the dirt over but keeps often a drop on it and when you reverse it is still not a perfekt view and less useful than expected.

I just try to find a reason to live without it... Very Happy

Post #484619 Tue Jan 12 2016 5:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12