RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > In Control Apps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 
In Control Apps

I have Incontrol Remote installed and working for my car. It isn't the best piece of software ever built but it is quite useful and it came for free. Am i right in thinking that the Incontrol Apps interface whereby I can plug my iPhone into the car and launch apps on the car screen was a separate option. I thought all the incontrol stuff was now built in by default however nothing appears to happen when I plug in my iPhone.

Any ideas, was I mistaken and it is in fact an option?

Post #472994 Sun Sep 13 2015 2:42pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Standard now I think. You have to load the InControl App software on the phone, connect via the RHS InControl USB not the LHS media interface USB, and select InControl App from the Home Screen. 

Post #472995 Sun Sep 13 2015 2:46pm
Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

Thanks Phil. I only have one USB socket as far as I can tell in the central arm rest? Am i missing a secondary one somewhere?

Post #472996 Sun Sep 13 2015 2:48pm
bluestone

United Kingdom 

I think incontrol protect and incontrol remote are free. Incontrol apps is standard on AB's and possibly HSE Dynamics, but an additional £700 on HSE.

I didn't bother speccing it as LR are very poor on the infotainment front. It's a shame they don't adopt carplay or android auto and let google/apple take over the navigation and infotainment.

Post #472998 Sun Sep 13 2015 3:05pm
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

And this applied for 2016 models before that it was an option even on the AB model

Post #472999 Sun Sep 13 2015 3:09pm
philmw

bluestone wrote:
I think incontrol protect and incontrol remote are free. Incontrol apps is standard on AB's and possibly HSE Dynamics, but an additional £700 on HSE.

I didn't bother speccing it as LR are very poor on the infotainment front. It's a shame they don't adopt carplay or android auto and let google/apple take over the navigation and infotainment.

Correct. Sorry. Standard on AB, option on HSE. 

Post #473005 Sun Sep 13 2015 3:58pm
Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

Cool thanks all. I wouldn't pay for it as all the reviews are terrible but if free would have checked it out. As mentioned above I wish LR would just support  Carplay.

Post #473018 Sun Sep 13 2015 6:13pm
philmw

Bobajobbob wrote:
Cool thanks all. I wouldn't pay for it as all the reviews are terrible but if free would have checked it out. As mentioned above I wish LR would just support  Carplay.

JLR are 'committed' to provide it, although I wouldn't be surprised if it is done through InControl. JustDrive is out shortly and with the rest of the IC apps out there gives all that Carplay can. https://vimeo.com/127215343 

Post #473021 Sun Sep 13 2015 6:35pm
Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

DRDILL wrote:
Theres is a lot of owners who are totally happy with the system as it is, i dont have any issues with it at all, it works well.
If i wanted a bnw ststem i would have bought a bmw. Whistle
I can never unserstand why oeople buy a range rover sport then complain about the systems fitted then compare them to other makes, why buy it if its so bad?

I don't know anything about the BMW system but I do know that the LR system though functional would benefit enormously by support for the apple carplay GUI. It would be a relatively simple thing to achieve technically and would fit the LR brand perfectly It's not just LR that suffer in this respect. Pretty much all in car systems are terrible compared with comparable consumer electronics. Why not let the experts in this field, ie apple, help out providing a simple pass through interface that would allow for constant upgrades and the biggest universe of applications without any hardware upgrade required in the car throughout its life. Seems like a no brainer to me. Why compromise when you haven't with every other feature of the car?

Post #473126 Mon Sep 14 2015 11:32am
philmw

http://fortune.com/2015/08/25/apple-carplay-android-report/

One would have to be pretty sure of the customer base and loyalty to hand over central functionality to a 3rd party, who have different consumer pressures, loyalties and wants. 

Post #473129 Mon Sep 14 2015 11:54am
Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

With Carplay and or equivalent systems you don't hand over the functions to a third party but simply allow them to piggyback on the hardware present to temporarily present a familiar GUI/Apps. The survey illustrates to me how poor most in car tech is and how familiarity with consumer tablets and phones would improve the experience dramatically. Land Rover makes cars, great cars, but they don't have the expertise or R&D budget to keep up with the likes of Google and Apple when it comes to certain value added software. The piggy back solutions that they are creating have the potential to be the the best of both worlds.

I don't believe the public shuns technology in cars so much as the technology in cars is so bad that consumer don't enjoy using it.

Post #473146 Mon Sep 14 2015 1:47pm
pko

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey
how much data.

Hi, can anyone advise from experience, approx. how much data a month these range rover apps use? I want to know what size data bundle to purchase.
many thanks

Post #480280 Wed Nov 18 2015 3:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1