RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > How to check if the electronic dipstick is working?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
How to check if the electronic dipstick is working?

I've had my SDv6 HSE Dynamic 6 months, it has covered 3400 miles and according to the electronic dipstick display on the dash it hasn't consumed a drop of oil since delivery. Now in previous RRS's, FFRR's and Evoques I have always had to add about a litre of oil to the car by now. So how does one check that the oil level really is still on the "Full" mark in an RRS2? This is particularly relevent as today I'm setting off on a 2000 mile road trip and don't suddenly want to grind to a halt mid-journey......... Do the RRS engines not absorb a couple of litres in the first couple of thousand miles as the high carbon content of the cast iron block absorbs it like my previous cars? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #473567 Sat Sep 19 2015 9:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I'm on 4K miles with display still showing over 3/4 full . My previous L494 used a little more oil, so by similar mileage I had put in a litre of oil, but this one doesn't seem to use oil at the same rate!

How one checks the oil bar the electronic display I've no idea!

Post #473572 Sat Sep 19 2015 10:06am
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

I have done 4,800 miles since I collected mine right at the end of last year and the electronic dipstick shows not a drop of oil used.

That can't be right and nor do I know how it can be checked for working properly.

The lack of a normal dipstick is one of my biggest irritations about my car Mad

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #473573 Sat Sep 19 2015 10:29am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

My biggest concern is that I have had an electronic dipstick before................... and in one day it went from MAX to a gnats hair above Min without the car leaking a single drop. Either they don't work well or there is incredible histerisis on them, akin to the pitch blend drip experiment! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #473574 Sat Sep 19 2015 10:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Aloha

My TDv6 was at 3/4 after 10.000 miles with spirited driving. Maybe its because some diesel gets into the oil keeping it topped up (DPF burning cycle can cause that)

Post #473576 Sat Sep 19 2015 11:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1