RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > my15 engine v my15.5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

forest172

United Kingdom 
my15 engine v my15.5

Well after purchasing my MY15 HSE 2 weeks ago privately with the 292bhp engine. I see it missed out by about 10 days on the engine tweek taking it to just over 300bhp and a whole 100nm of torques

Anyway my defender broke down the other day and Land Rover assistance lent me a MY15.5 dynamic

Both cars have 4000 miles on so when I started driving the dynamic straight away I thought "wow this has more zip than mine"

Anyway what was funny me and the wife ended up side by side at the traffic lights in both cars on the way back from work. So both in normal drive mode auto box we both gave them the beans upto the legal speed limit of 70mph and to my surprise both cars exactly neck and neck. If anything my HSE driven by my wife was slightly ahead.

I`ve since seen land rover do give both cars the same 0-60, but I think in the MY15.5 it does have shorter throttle response giving the impression it`s quicker. But then again I`m sure those extra ponies shouldn`t go unnoticed. I can remember having this in my 997 c2s with the sports chrono the switchable throttle response gave it a massive sense of more power

The only other observation is in normal driving mode my HSE is a more comfortable ride which is strange. I thought both cars rode the same unless you select dynamic driving mode

[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #472842 Sat Sep 12 2015 9:59am
Fletcher

England 

Stop pretending this happened by accident Thumbs Up

Post #472845 Sat Sep 12 2015 10:30am
forest172

United Kingdom 

seriously Laughing

Post #472846 Sat Sep 12 2015 10:35am
SRE

Spain 

So.....Basically your wife has a quicker response time than you Embarassed Can I ask, is she a LOT younger than you Whistle In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #472861 Sat Sep 12 2015 1:36pm
SRE

Spain 

Back to BHP, As I understand it, all the engines are the same, it's just a different ECU map. It was the same with the TDV6 and the SDV6, there was a 10 BHP gain with the SDV6. Unfortunately NONE of the Engine Tuners / Re Mappers have cared to comment on this.
I would have thought that one of the brighter ones (engine tuners) would have found a way of flashing the ECU with one of later / better Land Rover tunes Whistle In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #472863 Sat Sep 12 2015 1:43pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Back to BHP, As I understand it, all the engines are the same, it's just a different ECU map. It was the same with the TDV6 and the SDV6, there was a 10 BHP gain with the SDV6. Unfortunately NONE of the Engine Tuners / Re Mappers have cared to comment on this.
I would have thought that one of the brighter ones (engine tuners) would have found a way of flashing the ECU

Not sure what you mean by that but I've had my 64 plate SDV6 remapped by DMS to give 329hp and 546 lbft (compared to 443 lbft as standard). The car feels markedly quicker than standard and it also means I'm not remotely tempted to trade up to the latest engine

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/performance-u...=landrover

What the DMS remap doesn't do is eradicate the throttle response issue (IMHO that's a gearbox issue) but it does improve it a bit, I guess because the torque curve is a little fatter even at low rpm

Post #472920 Sat Sep 12 2015 8:18pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

How much did DMS charge? PM if you prefer thanks

Post #472922 Sat Sep 12 2015 8:37pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Quote:
How much did DMS charge? PM if you prefer thanks

It's no secret, it was just over £700 but that included sending a technician to my office to do the remap. They were one of the first companies in the remapping business and I've had several turbo diesel engined cars remapped by them over the years, all with excellent results

Post #472925 Sat Sep 12 2015 9:18pm
Fletcher

England 

Mikef , have you ever had any issues with landrover over the remap .

Post #472927 Sat Sep 12 2015 9:49pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

I guess there'll be somebody along soon to tell me that my L-R dealer's diagnostic equipment will pick up the remap instantly, my warranty will be voided and my gearbox will explode as a result of the extra torque. All I can tell you is this

From memory, I've had 4 BMWs, 2 Audis, a Merc and a L322 FFRR remapped by DMS before my current RRS and not once has a dealer told me that their diagnostic system has detected the remap. The only time my current RRS has been back to the dealer has been for various recalls to be dealt with and again no comment. Neither have I experienced any gearbox problems either nor come to that, any engine problems. FWIW I tend to sell at 3 yrs or less so I won't hear about any problems down the road of course

Yes of course I am theoretically voiding the warranty but no, so far, I've never had any warranty repairs refused as a result of the remap

Post #472935 Sat Sep 12 2015 10:14pm
Fletcher

England 

Many thanks , pretty much as I thought .
The last car I had done was a p38 dhse a few years ago now by someone engineering , boy was it good , even on Tickover it just sounded right .

Post #472941 Sat Sep 12 2015 10:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1