GAP insurance, tyre &alloy insurance, pure guard

Are these worth buying ?

Seem like a bit of a rip off to me?

Post #472281 Mon Sep 07 2015 2:23am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Gap, in my opinion it is worth buying, not from the dealer though

wheel and tyre cover, well that depends on how well you drive, I've never needed it

Pure Guard, don't believe the hype, for less money or there abouts you could have a detailer protect the car and it will look better and last longer

Post #472288 Mon Sep 07 2015 8:06am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Just bear this in mind when looking at these things............ if they didn't make the dealer a lot of money then they wouldn't be "recommending" them................ I have had all in the passed, the wheel and tyre insurance repaid the premium in the first year when I had to replaced a 20" tyre that I had damaged driving over a steel plate covering a large jole in the road but I haven't had it since. GAP, we have a sponsor who isn't a dealership who can advise you, Kam100 at MHC. I'm with NPinks on the paint protecxtion systems. To me I have only had one that did what was claimed, Gardex the rest that I had applied just seemed to be a fancy coat of polish rather than a paint sealing system. You can also use them as a negotiation point if you aren't getting discount on the RRS then try asking the dealer to trhow them in for free........... they are such a money maker for them that most will shrink from it but I have had them at hugely reduced price or free when buying a car! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #472292 Mon Sep 07 2015 9:14am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

Ooops duplcate post, have to get my router fixed and revert to wired internet rather than GPRS that is all that isd available at home now! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Mon Sep 07 2015 9:40am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #472294 Mon Sep 07 2015 9:19am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

I usually steer well clear of these things. The thought of 'paint protection' gives me the shivers. If I knock a wheel I'll get it replaced and the punishment will force me to be more careful in the future. I do, however, have gap insurance on the SVR, but only as it was a no-brainer (a couple of tanks worth of fuel).

(My annual insurance bill is five figure though. Rolling Eyes ) 

Post #472295 Mon Sep 07 2015 9:29am
Fletcher

England 

Land Rover insurance offer a first year gap policy included in your motor insurance . Thumbs Up

Post #472312 Mon Sep 07 2015 1:31pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

philmw wrote:
(My annual insurance bill is five figure though. Rolling Eyes )

5 figures... WHAAAT! Shocked

What do you use it for... a Nurburgring taxi? Laughing L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #472317 Mon Sep 07 2015 3:37pm
Tim in Scotland

Being under 25 and owning a car like that really loads your premium doesn't it Phil? Rolling with laughter In the mid 1970's I owned a TVR SEAC and even at 27years old and with an unblemished licence it was not a bargain to insure, I had to sell it when I returned to college for my final professional exams, not because it was too costly to run or insure but purely because I needed a car that i new would still be where I parked it in the college car park after a day of studying, TVR's security systems were as good as Land Rover's were at that time - nonexistant - and many much less valuable cars like Cosworth Saphires and Sierras disappeared from the college carpark in the middle of the Glasgow Gorbals. I laughed all the way with my Fiesta Popular Plus........ 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #472321 Mon Sep 07 2015 4:12pm
philmw

All my cars are on the same policy, which is fantastic. You all are insured to drive any of my cars, yet the wife isn't. Everyone's a winner Very Happy 

Post #472349 Mon Sep 07 2015 9:55pm
philmw

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Being under 25 and owning a car like that really loads your premium doesn't it Phil? Rolling with laughter In the mid 1970's I owned a TVR SEAC and even at 27years old and with an unblemished licence it was not a bargain to insure, I had to sell it when I returned to college for my final professional exams, not because it was too costly to run or insure but purely because I needed a car that i new would still be where I parked it in the college car park after a day of studying, TVR's security systems were as good as Land Rover's were at that time - nonexistant - and many much less valuable cars like Cosworth Saphires and Sierras disappeared from the college carpark in the middle of the Glasgow Gorbals. I laughed all the way with my Fiesta Popular Plus........

If only I could remember that far back.

I do remember my first car was a 950 Fiesta Pop. PBF 491W. Nova/Peacock Green. 

Post #472351 Mon Sep 07 2015 10:03pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Mines five figures also Very Happy

£470.00 Whistle

Post #472358 Mon Sep 07 2015 10:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1