RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > E-diff or no e-diff?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
E-diff or no e-diff?

Today I had great fun driving the Water/Electricity board roads above Loch Sloy/ Arrochar in Central Scotland. It was great day out that ended up with us coming off the hill in a snowstorm but as a result of driving through some very slippery muddy tracks on an incline I have a query about the 4x4 info screen. I have always wanted to have an FFRR or RRS with the optional e-diff but have never managed to get one. This afternoon on a quite slipery section (and I was on the standard issue 22" wheels/ tyres) I left the car in Auto TR, low ratio and selected the 4x4 in fo screen on the satnav screen. As we drove along over the slippery sections the centre diff icon stayed permanently green (locked) but the icon for the rear diff (that I expected not to change as I hadn't specced an e-diff) constantly ficked between Red (unlocked/ disengaged) , red 1/3rd / red 2/3 and then green fully locked as we progressed up the muddy slope. Now I was under the impression that when the e-diff is fitted it is the rear diff that it works on. So are Dymanics now all fitted with the e-diff as standard (prior to 2015MY it was part of the On-Road/Off Road pack which is no longer listed as an option)? Anyone from an LRE a member here who might be able to tell me as there is nothing at all mentioned about the e-diff in the owners manual? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #460513 Sun Apr 26 2015 5:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fletcher

England 

Not sure off the correct terminology but if you watch the top gear test on you tube ( Richard Hammond in a red rrs.2 ) in the part on the track he mentions an active rear diff , like an m5 .

Post #460523 Sun Apr 26 2015 7:22pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

My understanding was that the Dynamics have the e-diff which is used on road to help the torque vectoring function. Off road it would then be a locking diff. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #460538 Sun Apr 26 2015 8:52pm
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

Yes, if you have the Dynamic option then you get electronic centre and rear diffs. The non-Dynamic but with the Off-road pack does not have the rear locking diff. Regards

Malcolm

Post #460557 Mon Apr 27 2015 7:51am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the replies guys - so it appears that if you have a Dynamic you also have an e-Diff. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #460558 Mon Apr 27 2015 8:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Humbug

United Kingdom 

Just one thing: green shows disengaged, orange indicates they're working. AB, Dynamic and HSE with on/off-road pack have central and rear diffs, HSE with off-road pack just has a central diff, standard HSE (no low range) just has a Torsen-type diff that can't send 100% of the power to one axle – not sure if it's even classed as a proper diff (does anyone know for sure?). The central diff is the crucial one off-road – changing amounts of power front and rear – the rear one an added bonus when it's not being used to enhance performance.

Try going off road with a horde of kids in the back screaming "Make it go orange! Make it go orange! You're stuck, you're stuck!" before being disappointed you can just drive out...

Post #460572 Mon Apr 27 2015 10:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1