RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Would you downsize? What to?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Beancounter_74

England 

SQ5 is a lovely car for sure Cool , but very impractical space wise, looks bigger than the actual usable space is. Also won't offer the 'saving' that the OP is looking for to make the move IMO. ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #456335 Wed Mar 18 2015 1:28pm
BKHK

Australia 

F80 M3, intoxicating, I want one but very expensive here......

Post #456337 Wed Mar 18 2015 2:03pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Really appreciate everyone's input Bow down

Lost for Words: Very good point about safety and hassle to change. Few years ago I promised myself not to buy a new car again because of depreciation. So whatever I buy will be second hand. What if it isn't as good as the current one? I just don't have the time for frequent dealer trips. Not thinking of keeping it forever but selling a well-behaved < 2 year old car that I have only had for 15 months, to downgrade (which is fine) to a lemon (which is NOT fine) would be a shame.

BKHK: M3 is too small for us and I have no idea if it will offer the saving I would like to see if I move on.

I am now finding my thoughts more aligned with all the reasons you guys have come up with supporting "keep it". I have been thinking about it for a good few months now but still haven't brought myself to make a move. Perhaps this is telling me something... Need to do some browsing to find out more about the suggested options when I get home tonight Thumbs Up Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #456342 Wed Mar 18 2015 2:32pm
Chrisr1806

England 

I've had my RRS for just over a year now, it's only done 9,000 miles but I don't feel that it's not used enough. SWMBO loves it and often takes it without asking me. Twisted Evil

It's not going anywhere at the moment, I'd only change it for a new one. However if I needed to downsize I'd definately look at the Discovery Sport.

I wouldn't call 10.000 miles in 15 months under use, just keep it. Thumbs Up Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #456373 Wed Mar 18 2015 5:57pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Thanks Chris. May be 10k in 15 months (8k/year) isn't underuse. May be the issue is I am not using it as much as I'd like to and just frustrated Smile Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #456376 Wed Mar 18 2015 6:18pm
Dave Gilbert

Spain 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

My 2009 HSE V8 is up for sale and I did the usual search for alternatives - BMW X5, Q5, etc - but in the end I broadened my horizons and overcame my 'badge snobbery'. My local Land Rover dealer is also an agent for Kia and I have ordered the new model Kia Sorento Emotion luxury pack with a 6K discount on list price. I save about 20K Euro (I live in Spain) on a similar spec Disco Sport and I dont know how much on a similar spec RR Sport (I just dont think its value for money any more) and got a great trade in price for the Sport. And you get 7 years warranty with Kia who have come on leaps and bounds in recent years. Might not be for everyone of course - I must say I was skeptical at first - but it costs nothing to take a look (may not have made UK showrooms yet...).

Post #456378 Wed Mar 18 2015 6:36pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

FKARIM - I know exactly what you mean and thought about downsizing many times Bow down

I work from home and so does SWMBO. The RRS sits in the garage all week. We now get Tesco delivery so weekend trips to the supermarket have stopped. Trips to Oxford with a twin axle previously stopped me taking the plunge but we now store it down there and do it solo Confused

This week I saw a business opportunity I couldn't resist and thought right it's going because the money will make more in the business than sat in the garage. So I look on Webuyanycar for a base then ring the dealer for a price against a FL2 and hopefully a deposit on a disco sport ingenium because I will be ready by then Thumbs Up

Webuyanycar offered £500 more cash than the STEALER - I nearly rang the police to report a crime Shocked

The Censored taking them courtesy of JLR security flaw are getting more for them so although the business opportunity is good - getting rid of my RRS less than 2 year old is not an option. A loan shark would probably look more attractive right now Rolling Eyes

Anyway I'm considering a Q5 based on feedback of friends if I ever find anyone willing to pay a decent price for my RRS - had enough of the dealers and the rubbish customer service so figure burning the money to heat the house is probably a better idea than buying another LR.......... Banging Head

but I do fancy a Disco Sport Embarassed Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #456400 Wed Mar 18 2015 9:44pm
BKHK

Australia 

In your shoes, Fkarim, I think I would keep it due depreciation etc. I only said M3 becuase that's what I would do, I have no family so even an M4 would be fine for me, I wasn't trying to give you that advice!

Post #456404 Wed Mar 18 2015 10:43pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I am in a different situation to you MW ... been very happy with both my Sports (so far). LR or dealers are not the reason I am contemplating a change.

I agree with others' view that a saloon will not be suitable for us so that idea is out of the window. Been unable to persuade my wife to even try an estate and I am not prepared to try any further. Feels like I have 3 kids not 2 Laughing

Trying to arrange a test drive for Disco Sport. Q5 will probably be next. If we like Disco Sport we might have to wait a little while until they are available on the used market.

BKHK: Keeping the RRS does look like a sensible option right now. I just want to put it to rest in my head by trying a few and convincing myself to be sure. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #456408 Wed Mar 18 2015 10:58pm
Gavin Beecham

United Kingdom 

Beancounter_74 wrote:
Having gone from an RRS to a 5 series, you won't get the practicality with a 5 series or similar you've listed, it's a lovely car with a cavernous, but sadly not completely usable boot.

You really will need an estate style, it's the reason I'm just about to take delivery of a 3 series touring, well a 335d to be more specific (I looked at the 5 touring, but it just looks too 'old man' in my opinion)
Some cracking deals at the moment. Wink Equipped with xdrive technology as standard, amazing performance with peer beating economy (quoted 50mpg, most people report early 40's).......... for something that will (out)pace an RS4 and a lot cheaper to run/maintain.

Don't get me wrong it's no RRS and doesn't pretend to be one, but it's a lovely car and very capable and practical, which with 2 kids, lets face it is what you need. Thumbs Up

Out pace an rs4?? Don't think so and will never sound as good or be as exclusive.
335d looks like a 318.... I know what I'd rather have.........an SVR!! ....Or an Rs4 over a Beemer

Post #456410 Wed Mar 18 2015 11:01pm
RRS Daz

The q5's are overpriced Imo but I do like them.

The q7 post 2011 return good mpg, cheap tax, 7 seats but 30k plus.

The post 2011 a6 advant is longer than a sport but nice cheap tax, quite quick with plenty of room for 2.4 kids.

I'm not a fan of the new bmw's.

The new shape c class is nice with the updated interior, plenty of room with again cheap running costs.

The new shape e class still has the outdated interior but looks nice outside.

Post #456412 Wed Mar 18 2015 11:14pm
JasM

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Don't think a saloon would be ideal for your requirements. I run a BMW 5 series as my main car and it's not as practical as the RRS. I now use the the RRS occasionally.

Thought about selling the RRS but the poor valuations offered from dealers, means it's not worth selling. It seems they will only offer a decent price if you buy something off them, would love a new shape FFRR but I'm just waiting for prices to drop.

One thing to note the 5 series is one huge car, it's a fair bit longer than the RRS.

Click image to enlarge

Don't think the BMW interior looks too bad Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

2012 RRS SDV6 HSE -Orkney Grey with A/B bodykit - Now Gone Sad
2007 RRS TDV6 HSE - Zermatt Silver - Gone

Post #456418 Wed Mar 18 2015 11:53pm
mike21

2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I downsized to a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, its actually a very good car, a bit of a tardis and seems more spacious inside than the RRS, the kids reckon there's more room in the back than the RRS Exclamation Drives very well and if its used just for short journeys its extremely economical if charged up. Not so good economy on motorways about 30 mpg, which is not bad for a big SUV but its very comfortable and easy to drive. The only downside is the small 45 litre tank so only has a range of about 250 miles motorway driving if you don't charge it but overall its pretty impressive Thumbs Up 2019 BMW X3 2.0i M Sport in metalic black- Brilliant
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Atlantic Grey, replaced with 2018 Frost White Outlander PHEV, can't fault em - now gone
2012 SDV6 HSE in Orkney Grey, Privacy Glass & Side Steps (notice a theme)! - Even better but now gone
2009 TDV6 HSE in Stornoway Grey, 20" alloys, Privacy Glass & Side Steps - Fantastic! but gone

Post #456474 Thu Mar 19 2015 7:54pm
wildrain

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

The only car catching my eye at the moment is the latest BMW 335d,
Eco mode average 50mpg
Sport mode 0-60 4.8 sec
Tax £145 for the year
Although iv not driven one yet, just going by looks and reviews

Post #456532 Fri Mar 20 2015 4:40pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Thanks for everyone's input Thumbs Up

My brother drives a 5 series so I already know it is a very good car. Have to agree that a saloon is not going to be suitable for us. 335d does look like a great car but boot space issue again in saloon form and Mrs. doesn't want a regular estate Sad Mitsubishi PHEV was also a very good suggestion and the figures are impressive with range being the only issue. This was also shot down instantly as soon as I showed the website. Hate to conclude that badge snobbery is undoubtedly at play in wife's head ( even though she rejects the allegation Whistle ).

Going to test drive a Q5 and a Discovery Sport this weekend and will try my best not to compare to RRS as that would be unfair. Need to remember that I am thinking of downgrading.

Unless the above 2 hugely impress, it seems like we will stick with our RRS. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #456545 Fri Mar 20 2015 5:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>