RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > disapointing experience at dealers + battery issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

jack.bauer

disapointing experience at dealers + battery issues

Had the car over at dealers for a service and M.O.T. This was my first time at this particular franchise and I had read good feedback on this forum so was not expecting what followed. Will not mention any names as they are members of this forum and I want to give them a chance to address my complaint through the customer relations which I am going to engage tomorrow.

This is a 07 plate with 70k on the clock. I was told it required a 120k ‘B’ service. When I went to collect the car, they handed the keys and showed me out. I jumped in the car, turned the ignition and it wouldn’t start. Tried a couple of times and no luck. It eventually required a jump start via booster pack. I was told this was most likely a dead battery cell. Apparently it is common and can happen at any time. Was given the usual harsh winter aggravates things+ it’s a TDV8 so requires a lot of juice + the obligatory story of his mate that visited him that very morning and suffered the exact same issue. ‘It happens’. Asked why this would happen now when the car has never shown any signs of a weak battery, always starts on the first try, even after leaving it parked for 3 weeks while on holiday, I was told this could have been aggravated by the short trips around the dealer’s car park while it was in. Advised to replace the battery when I next get a chance.

Very sceptical with what I was being told I took it on the chin and began to drive off. Didn’t even make it out the parking lot when I see a random warning light flashing on the dash. At that point I didn’t need any more convincing and asked them to take it in for a good look. They did and when it came back, they told me the battery reading was fine (12.8V). They had charged it up for 15min and changed their diagnosis from a 'dead cell' to ‘could be sign of alternator on its way out, requires deeper investigation’. Again, very sceptical, I asked whether there was any chance that the work carried out or the manner it was carried out could have lead to this. Answer was no. Asked if ‘dead battery cells’ or ‘signs of alternator on its way out’ are not supposed to be picked up in the health check as part of the service, the answer was no.

At that point I felt I was being fed pies of the hog kind, so asked them to make a note in the job sheet of what had happened post handover so I could take it up later.

When I got home, I looked up the maintenance schedule http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...hedule.pdf and to my surprise, I find that as part of the 120k ‘B’ schedule they should: “Check battery condition, fill electrolyte, clean terminals”.

1. Surely this goes against what the advisor told me?
2. What do we make of this weak battery / dead cell / alternator on its way out? could something in the way they carried the service have lead to what i experienced?

As mentioned, this car has been fantastic to me in terms of starting up. Two winters, 3 trips where it's been left parked up for weeks yet always a first time starter with a healthy TDV8 bark. I feel something has happened to my precious that is not because of its age/condition as im being lead to believe.

The manner in which it was handed to me and what I was charged is also something I am not happy about but that is being taken up separately. Not relevant but it did compound to the feeling that I'm being taken for a mug. Exclamation 07 TDV8 + BAS map

Post #453451 Sun Feb 22 2015 11:23pm
FatJoe

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black

To be honest, the time of year could be a cause of failing battery or alternator. Very common this time of year, seen a new post every other day about alternators going.

Did you clock the milleage before it went in? Is it possible they we're driving it round a few short trips? We're they playing music from your stereo which flattened the battery?

Not sure but perhaps it was just a hickup and your alternators fine? Perhaps it was just a flat battery? I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #453452 Sun Feb 22 2015 11:33pm
jack.bauer

I think where I stand is that I'd be willing to accept any of the above if it was presented to me as part of the health check report. something like, 'as part of your service we checked the battery and note that it's weak etc..."

but instead im told a battery check is not part of the service and it feels like they were covering up an oversight. perhaps like you say leaving the radio on.

in terms of mileage, the MOT centre they used was off-site and the oddometer tallies up with a round trip. i dont know how to measure their 'small trips'. how many short start/stop would be done in 36 hours. i have no idea. 07 TDV8 + BAS map

Post #453454 Sun Feb 22 2015 11:41pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

If it's been in the workshop and boot/doors have been left open for some time and lights on for testing, etc this could flatten your battery. I would put it on charge and see if it happens again afterwards Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #453455 Sun Feb 22 2015 11:44pm
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Muddy wheels hit the nail on the head, at least in my case with one of my previous cars. Very unprofessional if so. And very likely. If you have access to a multimeter then do a battery/alternator test yourself. Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #453457 Sun Feb 22 2015 11:56pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If the battery was showing 12.8V then it wouldn't have needed a jump start! A weak alternator wouldn't keep a battery at 12.8V either - that's 100% charged. Of course, in order to check the battery you need to let it rest for several hours after it has been charged so their check was hogwash - even the jump start and then drive in to the workshop bay would give a high reading.

Sounds to me like they've run the battery down and then are trying to think of excuses. Sounds about right from my experience of LR dealers. Most of the time there would be enough charge in the battery for it to drive away. Hopefully, for the dealer's sake, the alternator would then sort it out - or at least keep it half charged so no faults show. Mine has run for ages at 50% charge with no obvious issues. I bought a Ctek and it now sits at 80-100% charge depending on use.

As muddy says, put it on a smart charger and see how that goes. Hopefully it'll pull it back from low charge but you'll need to check it over the next week or two to see if it holds charge. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #453470 Mon Feb 23 2015 9:36am
itsmeagain

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

I had issues with Stratstone over a faulty battery, they said the battery wasnt covered by my warranty. Then they tried to charge me for fitting a new one. After a bit of shouting and saying i was unhappy they agreed to supply and fit it for free.
I think it was a dead cell that was there when i got it from them. Some dealers are jokers.
Its amazing what they do when u complain. Current 2010 Range Rover Sport HSE with the usual toys: timed climate, Rosen headrest screens, tow bar with twin electrics, Blackvue HD cam
2008 Seat Leon K1
2012 Audi A1 2.0litre Black Edition TDI
2004 Audi A4 convertible
2004 Audi A2 TDI

Post #453477 Mon Feb 23 2015 10:56am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I bought my RRS from a LR franchised dealer and it had the full LR Approved Warranty. 6 months later, during the winter, the battery died. When I changed it I realised it had the wrong sized battery fitted. It had a Jaguar battery that was both physically smaller but also below LR's recommended capacity. The dealer had serviced it etc. before sale... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #453482 Mon Feb 23 2015 11:48am
myfirstrrs

United Kingdom 

My battery died after a week of ownership and the dealer, Kentdales, replaced it immediately at their suggestion. Very good PR and it has been right since then.

Post #453484 Mon Feb 23 2015 12:03pm
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

my first thought after seeing the batteru terminal clean point, was to do just that, take a look at it and douuble check that the connections are tight, as that could cause the same issues 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #453615 Mon Feb 23 2015 10:19pm
harrygh60

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
Re: disapointing experience at dealers + battery issues

jack.bauer wrote:
Had the car over at dealers for a service and M.O.T. This was my first time at this particular franchise and I had read good feedback on this forum so was not expecting what followed. Will not mention any names as they are members of this forum and I want to give them a chance to address my complaint through the customer relations which I am going to engage tomorrow.

This is a 07 plate with 70k on the clock. I was told it required a 120k ‘B’ service. When I went to collect the car, they handed the keys and showed me out. I jumped in the car, turned the ignition and it wouldn’t start. Tried a couple of times and no luck. It eventually required a jump start via booster pack. I was told this was most likely a dead battery cell. Apparently it is common and can happen at any time. Was given the usual harsh winter aggravates things+ it’s a TDV8 so requires a lot of juice + the obligatory story of his mate that visited him that very morning and suffered the exact same issue. ‘It happens’. Asked why this would happen now when the car has never shown any signs of a weak battery, always starts on the first try, even after leaving it parked for 3 weeks while on holiday, I was told this could have been aggravated by the short trips around the dealer’s car park while it was in. Advised to replace the battery when I next get a chance.

Very sceptical with what I was being told I took it on the chin and began to drive off. Didn’t even make it out the parking lot when I see a random warning light flashing on the dash. At that point I didn’t need any more convincing and asked them to take it in for a good look. They did and when it came back, they told me the battery reading was fine (12.8V). They had charged it up for 15min and changed their diagnosis from a 'dead cell' to ‘could be sign of alternator on its way out, requires deeper investigation’. Again, very sceptical, I asked whether there was any chance that the work carried out or the manner it was carried out could have lead to this. Answer was no. Asked if ‘dead battery cells’ or ‘signs of alternator on its way out’ are not supposed to be picked up in the health check as part of the service, the answer was no.

At that point I felt I was being fed pies of the hog kind, so asked them to make a note in the job sheet of what had happened post handover so I could take it up later.

When I got home, I looked up the maintenance schedule http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...hedule.pdf and to my surprise, I find that as part of the 120k ‘B’ schedule they should: “Check battery condition, fill electrolyte, clean terminals”.

1. Surely this goes against what the advisor told me?
2. What do we make of this weak battery / dead cell / alternator on its way out? could something in the way they carried the service have lead to what i experienced?

As mentioned, this car has been fantastic to me in terms of starting up. Two winters, 3 trips where it's been left parked up for weeks yet always a first time starter with a healthy TDV8 bark. I feel something has happened to my precious that is not because of its age/condition as im being lead to believe.

The manner in which it was handed to me and what I was charged is also something I am not happy about but that is being taken up separately. Not relevant but it did compound to the feeling that I'm being taken for a mug. Exclamation

Had some of that experience, Seems to me its do a job, create a job. Had a driveshaft replaced, it came out with alsorts of warning lights on dash. Was told it was brake light switch, had that done, When i got home i took the Key Fob out of my pocket and it fell apart. I think someone had dropped it and pushed it back together.then N/S/R door lock was not working. would only unlock from inside,but would not lock or unlock from outside,or on remote. Afraid to take it back incase something really big comes back with it itisme

Post #453647 Tue Feb 24 2015 10:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1