RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Getting wood.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Stuart wrote:
I was looking at the price of logs around here and not too impressed with the price for a builders bag.

I just bought one of these ace little briquette making jobbies called a Multimate, made by a bloke in Wigan:

Now we have no use for our waste paper bin, and a use for all the junk mail and even leaves from the garden go in. Mr. Green

The ones I have tried already that have dried are not bad and do burn for ages. Obviously you must mix them with coal or wood for best use, but they are about as green as it gets. And free.

Seems a fun little piece of equipment but I wonder how much moisture is left in the brick? If you had to season the brick to bring the moisture level down, would it still be intact or would it all break apart? "Proper" briquette machines employ heat to melt the lignin.

I wouldn't burn anything "unseasoned", even if they do burn for a long time. Maybe they burn for a long time because they're too wet Thumbs Up Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #444655 Mon Dec 08 2014 2:30pm
kp

To pick up something I've bought not pick up wood Wink

That multi ate looks good and I have loss of wood shavings that end up getting burned on the bbq when I get enough but making bricks out of them and my shredded paper would be good. Fancy selling your used once multimate at all Daz? FFRR Owner, SSRR engine destroyer!(*2) & Creator of SSRR Smile

Post #444661 Mon Dec 08 2014 4:22pm
Stuart

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

tanloverluke wrote:
Stuart wrote:
I was looking at the price of logs around here and not too impressed with the price for a builders bag.

I just bought one of these ace little briquette making jobbies called a Multimate, made by a bloke in Wigan:

Now we have no use for our waste paper bin, and a use for all the junk mail and even leaves from the garden go in. Mr. Green

The ones I have tried already that have dried are not bad and do burn for ages. Obviously you must mix them with coal or wood for best use, but they are about as green as it gets. And free.

Seems a fun little piece of equipment but I wonder how much moisture is left in the brick? If you had to season the brick to bring the moisture level down, would it still be intact or would it all break apart? "Proper" briquette machines employ heat to melt the lignin.

I wouldn't burn anything "unseasoned", even if they do burn for a long time. Maybe they burn for a long time because they're too wet Thumbs Up

Well, you dry them out, you don't just burn them. You know when they are right by the weight.

I did some just now, maybe only 20. Ideally, you would build them up through the summer and by winter you are golden.

They dont break up as they dry as you mulch the paper first so it ends up like dried, compressed paper mache.

I was yapping to the blokes who make them for ages when I picked mine up and got the full SP. KP, yes, you can add wood shavings, coal dust, leaves, etc. Anything that will dry and burn clean really. Shredded paper will be easier to mulch as well. The bloke gives you a jobby he makes that goes in your drill to prep the paper too.

Last edited by Stuart on Mon Dec 08 2014 6:13pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #444670 Mon Dec 08 2014 6:09pm
Stuart

kp wrote:
Mixed woods Smile mostly what I come across during outings and work that I can pick up and bring home. At moment in able to grab a load of ash & sycamore Smile

Is partly dried as well and been burning very well on an open fire I've been told Smile

Do you still have some of that for delivery near Glossop?

Post #444671 Mon Dec 08 2014 6:11pm
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

very interesting. how are the briquettes once they have dried out, i.e are they still intact/dense? Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #444672 Mon Dec 08 2014 6:13pm
Stuart

The ones I have done are quite solid. Depends how well you mix I suppose.

It appealed to me as I like the idea of free heat that is also quite green (or something free to help along what we pay for and reduce the price overall) as we have an old house. Its cold up here, we are high up and we get the wind over the hills.

Post #444673 Mon Dec 08 2014 6:17pm
kp

Stuart drop me a PM as I sure do Smile

I wonder if the drill attachment is like a plaster mixer one.

I shred loads and loads of paper so the sawdust and paper mix would certainly be a good use of a waste product. I wonder if they do one that does bigger bricks... FFRR Owner, SSRR engine destroyer!(*2) & Creator of SSRR Smile

Post #444677 Mon Dec 08 2014 6:58pm
kp

For drying them out like I suggest with the wood, a small pile near the fire does the job easily enough, or like my nana old ingle nook, a pile each side and as one empties repile it and use from the other side of the fire Smile FFRR Owner, SSRR engine destroyer!(*2) & Creator of SSRR Smile

Post #444679 Mon Dec 08 2014 7:01pm
Stuart

kp wrote:
Stuart drop me a PM as I sure do Smile
I wonder if the drill attachment is like a plaster mixer one.

They clog up. Its like a T shape with a twist on it. Works quite well.

Although it did cross my mind to find some kind of commercial mixing thing, having a few machines, some lads making them, and flogging bags of overpriced hand-made, super eco-friendly, recycled, eco-bricks to the local Yummy Mummies at Mottram Show or Chelford. Whistle

Post #444682 Mon Dec 08 2014 7:06pm
kp

Cement mixer maybe?? FFRR Owner, SSRR engine destroyer!(*2) & Creator of SSRR Smile

Post #444697 Mon Dec 08 2014 7:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123