RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Ditch the space saver or keep it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 
Ditch the space saver or keep it?

I have a dilemma - I decided to ditch the space saver wheel in favour of a full size because I'm sure I read on here it wasn't suitable for towing but checking the Max load it is higher than the standard wheels Shocked

I have 2 sets of wheels - 19" with winter tyres and 20" with all season which I have to store...... so rather than buy more wheels I thought use a winter wheel as spare in summer and all season as spare in winter (keeping to max 50 mph emergency use in event I needed to fit them) and sell the space saver Thumbs Up

BUT - this will leave me with dilemma if I px or sell RRS - I would need to include both sets of wheels, split a set or buy another spare Rolling Eyes

I could fit a cheap tyre to the spare 19" with chip I have just replaced and put that under year round but even a cheap tyre would cost same as space saver so does this achieve anything Confused

Also the thought of a shiny alloy underneath catching stone chippings, tyre exposed to sun (normally store cool place covered away from light) and even with the RLD protector and modified winch some Censored could do some damage having a go Sad

Just wonder what you lot think or have done Bow down Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #428110 Mon Jun 23 2014 8:33pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I decided to keep the space saver all year round. I have all season tyres fitted so I might get a winter set but only 20" tyres, no separate 19" wheels this time. That way I don't have to inform (and pay) the insurer and possibly recalibrate the suspension (just doing wheel alignment twice a year is fine) every time I swap the wheels.

Post #428124 Mon Jun 23 2014 10:15pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I have been swapping between 19" and 20" for years and never recalibrated or done wheel alignment Confused

Insurer advised as long as I fit genuine wheels listed in handbook/offered as option on factory build no need to inform them or pay additional premium - that's why I fit SE alloys in winter plus less chance of pothole damage being 19" Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #428125 Mon Jun 23 2014 10:22pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Not too sure about recalibration myself but I believe alignment needs to be checked and adjusted if out after changing wheels. I am no expert though.

I had 3 long conversations with 3 different people at Admiral on 3 different days. None of them could be convinced that if the wheels are smaller, OEM, suitable for the car in terms of ratings and recommended by manufacturer in the handbook for winter tyres then surely they are safer for everyone during winter. Their response stayed along the lines of "if the car didn't come from factory as standard with 19s then fitting them would be classed as a modification and you will need to inform us and pay for the privilege". I even argued it was actually possible to spec a new car with the same wheels I was planning to use but useless because my particular car came with 20s Banging Head So I ditched the idea of 2 sets of wheels.

Your insurer has common sense Bow down

Post #428129 Mon Jun 23 2014 10:46pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I was with Aviva but just changed to Admiral so better check Thud

I found this handy Thumbs Up

https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Docum...tment.ashx

According to the above Admiral have no issue Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #428130 Mon Jun 23 2014 10:51pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I am aware of this document but it only addresses tyres. They are all ok with winter tyres but changing wheel size (even downsizing to cheaper 19" wheels) is a "modification" in their eyes. Sorry to give you another thing to worry about Laughing

Post #428134 Mon Jun 23 2014 11:10pm
AVE

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

We swapped the space saver for a full size spare and bought an Uncle Rays protector. Just didn't like the look of the space saver.. 2014 Autobiography Dynamic
Causeway Grey

As you slide down the banister of life
May no splinters point your way.

Post #428140 Mon Jun 23 2014 11:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1