RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Sat Nav reboots - Seems to be when it is cold.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Steven D

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver
Sat Nav reboots - Seems to be when it is cold.

Hi,

Has anyone else experienced a problem with the Sat Nav when it's cold weather (my car is 2006 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE)?

Basically the Sat Nav just keeps rebooting and going back to the 'I Agree' screen, when car warmer it's OK. Big Cry
Additionally in Summer (when warmer!) it works fine.

Does the Sat Nav unit under the passenger seat just not work unless warm enough?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven 2006 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 HSE.
Zermatt Silver with Black Interior.
On 72,000 miles.

Post #398371 Mon Oct 14 2013 9:36pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Sounds like a power issue to me

Anything else restarting? Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #398384 Mon Oct 14 2013 10:50pm
Steven D

Thanks for the reply.

Does SAT NAV get less power when cold? I know I've heard of power saving features and battery only powers what it has to for eg. But battery seems fine, starts 1st time etc even in Winter so seems strange if that's the case.

Like I said it's only when it gets to these winter months when it plays up at the start of the drive and once the car is warm it works fine, just annoying if you've got a local journey where u haven't been and the Sat Nav keeps rebooting as it is a cold day. Take it out when it is a warm day and no issue even straight off the drive!

Further info is that 4x4 screen is fine, for what that is worth, only when switched to Sat Nav does the screen reboot.

Could be unit (under passenger seat) is cold or condensation? When gets warm circuitry is fine?

As you ask - no other issues re power.

Cheers,
On 72,000 miles.

Post #398473 Tue Oct 15 2013 8:04pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Rather than thinking does the sat nav need more power when cold - its more, does the car have enough power to support the car.

There could be a software issue - but you would expect that to happen every time, rather than when the environmental conditions worsen Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #398496 Tue Oct 15 2013 11:17pm
Dhups

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

I get this issue too and only when its a cold morning.

If a power issue would the battery need replcaing???

Post #398539 Wed Oct 16 2013 12:38pm
Steven D

Hi Mike,

I might not have explained it v well but that's what I meant, ie cold weather, battery level low, only powers essentials, therefore not sat nav...
BUT I can't be sure but battery seems fine, could be that tho'???

But clutching at straws I thought what else could it be, hence saying the unit itself and what could go wrong when that's cold - condensation or something else in the unit not happy in the unit when cold etc etc.

It's gotta be something like the above probs just wondered if anyone had ever had it officially diagnosed as we've got an idea but no definite...

Glad (but bet u aren't tho' Dhups) that someone else has seen the same issue and it's not unique to me!!!!!

Cheers All,
On 72,000 miles.

Post #398573 Wed Oct 16 2013 5:57pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Yes ultimately it could be anything - but given the battery and alternator issues are usually minor faults and cause weird major issues - i would start there, rather than wiring that hasnt ever moved. Although i can imagine things like earth connections could all come into play.

A key question is did it ever work properly and when did it start.

If its going back to the agree screen, that implies the system is rebooting, hence if the power is interrupted (say because there isn't enough of it) you could reasonably expect the system to reboot and thus you get back to the agree screen.

Cold kills weak batteries and increases the electrical demand

Hence i would check the alternator and battery - just do a search here to find out all the battery issues. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #398647 Wed Oct 16 2013 11:17pm
Steven D

Cheers again for your reply Mike.

Seems to be pointing towards poor battery (low and powersaving) or alternator as u say. Fair enough.

As to when problem started I've had car 12 mths and it's always done it since bought last Nov, thro' Winter, then fine thro' Summer etc. so when cold.
I did see an old service invoice from prev owner @ Land Rover that had 'check out customer reported Sat Nav fault' about 18 mths before I had it (in March 2011, when still cold) so presume it was going on even back then...

Thanks,
On 72,000 miles.

Post #398717 Thu Oct 17 2013 4:08pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Steve,
There does seem to be a bit of a problem with the Sat Nav rebooting on quite a few Sports.

On my car the typical situation is: turn on - Sat Nav boots up - wait for system self test lights and glow plug light to go out - start engine - Sat Nav reboots.

In my case the Sat Nav is then fine until the next engine stop and start when it does the reboot thing again UNLESS it is a really nice warm day and the car's just been on a long run OR I've just fully charged the battery with a charger.

Fitting a brand new LR special super-expensive AGM battery didn't make any difference Big Cry

Your issue sounds a bit worse if it is rebooting during running. Do you have a modern smart battery charger and a multimeter? If no - highly recommend you go and buy both as they are pretty much essential if you own a RRS.

The best smart chargers are CTEK brand and you really need at least the 5 amp one but the 10 amp is better here is a link to eBay ad for a 5 amp http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CTEK-Multi-MXS-5...0779405672

Charge up your battery fully preferably using the reconditioning programme and then go for a run and see if your Sat Nav still keeps rebooting. If it does - check the battery voltage after the car has been standing overnight - if it is low (say 12.3 or less) then suspect your battery is on the way out.

If you do a search on this forum or better still the Disco 3 forum you'll find the instructions on how to use a multimeter to test your alternator's output and pick up any signs it is failing.

Suspect the rebooting on start up might be something to do with a software update that LR released to change the battery conservation management which is now a bit overzealous and switches off the Sat Nav when the battery gets a bit low. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #398732 Thu Oct 17 2013 6:23pm
Steven D

Cheers Paddi for the advice.

Sorry to hear your prob still exists after brand new battery, that seems strange to reboot the SAT NAV if your battery is brand new!!! U wonder if that's just a blanket powersave on startup regardless of battery condition?

After all the good advice I'm putting mine down to battery, it is not new unsure how old as only had car 12 mths, so in cold weather suffers and stops the Nav. That's my novice diagnosis.
Pretty cold weather too.
Once car has been running a bit we're all good, I guess as the battery has got some juice from charging and says 'right u can now have your Nav on'.
As u say Paddi it does seem an overzealous feature as there is no indication that the battery is that bad as RRS fires up 1st time.

I'll look into the items that u recommended thanks for those!

Cheers,
On 72,000 miles.

Post #398738 Thu Oct 17 2013 6:51pm
finbarfinnegan

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Maya Gold

Hi Steve.

I have the same thing, only started recently after an alternator burn out and replacement. I changed the battery and it helped a little, but didn't cure completely. I also get some flashing warning lights and the stereo cuts in and out during the whole thing, plus some other electrical interference like windows not functioning.

I'm stumped, but will keep working through the possibilities with my independent, but i'm short on ideas.

Tim Maya Gold TDV6 HSE, only 72k miles! Still put's a smile on my face every time i press the loud pedal...

Post #399542 Tue Oct 22 2013 10:18pm
Steven D

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about your problems they're worse than mine!

After having a new alternator and battery (which u think would solve things) seems odd to still have the issues. After the consensus that it's usually down to this.

Are your problems when it is cold weather or just general?

Hope your Indy has some success in the diagnosis!

Good Luck,
On 72,000 miles.

Post #399604 Wed Oct 23 2013 5:58pm
finbarfinnegan

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Maya Gold

It all actually started after the alternator burn out. It didn't happen before that.
We have discussed that the new alternator could be not quite right, and I've seen somewhere on here about someone having the alternator cabling replaced to solve electrical issues.

But - both are now under warranty so i'm not too concerned -- I'm more worried that it turns out to be something worse! Big Cry

I'll let you know if he figures it out.

Cheers for now

Tim Maya Gold TDV6 HSE, only 72k miles! Still put's a smile on my face every time i press the loud pedal...

Post #399620 Wed Oct 23 2013 8:41pm
Steven D

Hi Tim (apologies for writing Steve last time!!! Laughing )

I see what you mean, your problems all seem to be around the alternator then, I'm sure you'll get it ironed out with a good idea of where the problem lies.
With it all being under warranty that's a bonus you just have to ride out the frustration until sorted.

Definitely post how it all pans out - would be nice to know, and be more info for the rest of us.

Cheers,
On 72,000 miles.

Post #399621 Wed Oct 23 2013 8:51pm
planko

Scotland 

Hi. I had the same issue after alternator burnt out. Power would pulse as soon as i turned the ignition key then go away after a couple of revs.

Guy at our local garage spent well over a week trying to figure out what was causing it (lets not talk about the two burnt out glowplugs that fused, snapped and caused a body off and head off job the two weeks before!), spoke to Landrover & autologic numerous times and in the end after probing with lots of tracing voltmeters he replaced wiring from the ecu to the alternator, ecu to coolant temperature probe, ecu to accelerator and it solved the problem.

Post #404899 Thu Dec 05 2013 8:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1