Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Heated Screen problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

madmackie

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
Heated Screen problems

HI all can anyone shed any light on this
went out o my car this morning put the fornt and rear heated screens on to get rid of the frost the rear screen cleared half way down then two lines didnt clear then another two did and the bottom line didnt.
The front screen the passenger side cleared fully and part of the drivers side the remaining bit of the drivers side really struggled to clear

is this down to a bad connection or are the elements in the screens on their way out Big Cry both screens are the original the car is a 55 plate rrs hse

any advice or suggestions please thanks in advance pete

Post #369576 Wed Jan 16 2013 11:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I'd guess the elements are on their way out, it probably won't get any worse to be honest, its just how these things seem to go.

Last edited by Ady 555 on Sat Nov 23 2013 10:07pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #369578 Wed Jan 16 2013 11:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kav1187

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

The elements have probably got gaps in them on the rear screen. This stuff can be used to repair the gaps in the elements that aren't working in the rear...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_255229

On the front screen, the left side clears quicker than the right because of the shorter distance between screen and battery so the current is stronger on the left side. Are some of the elements not working on your front screen or is it just that it's taking longer?

I fitted heated screens to my VW golfs and there are two sets of connections - one for left and one for right hand side of the screen - I'm confident that the RRS setup will be the same. Want to do a DIY job on your car? Check out the definitive 'how to' thread in the technical section Thumbs Up

http://rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic28424.html

Post #369616 Wed Jan 16 2013 3:57pm
madmackie

If i remember the front do all work just the drivers side take ages and possibly some of the elements are not working i will check tomorrow as this morning i used the blower also to clear the screen and thanks i will take a look at the element repair thanks pete

Last edited by madmackie on Wed Jan 16 2013 6:44pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #369620 Wed Jan 16 2013 4:02pm
kav1187

Might be worth checking your alternator is keeping up with the demand from the screens. Turn the screens on and see what the voltage is on the battery. Want to do a DIY job on your car? Check out the definitive 'how to' thread in the technical section Thumbs Up

Post #369630 Wed Jan 16 2013 6:23pm
madmackie

Had a close look at the rear screen and some of the elements seem to appear broke so i have used a bit of the paint as posted earlier so i will see what happens with that would it be worth trying to find the connectors on the drivers side front screen and maybe cleaning them thanks all pete

Post #369634 Wed Jan 16 2013 6:46pm
kav1187

Yep always worth checking. No idea where they are Im sure someone can point you in the right direction. Want to do a DIY job on your car? Check out the definitive 'how to' thread in the technical section Thumbs Up

Post #369641 Wed Jan 16 2013 7:45pm
madmackie

If someone could that would be good thanks

Post #369643 Wed Jan 16 2013 7:52pm
Glohh

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Siberian Silver

kav1187 wrote:
The elements have probably got gaps in them on the rear screen. This stuff can be used to repair the gaps in the elements that aren't working in the rear...

On the front screen, the left side clears quicker than the right because of the shorter distance between screen and battery so the current is stronger on the left side. Are some of the elements not working on your front screen or is it just that it's taking longer?

I fitted heated screens to my VW golfs and there are two sets of connections - one for left and one for right hand side of the screen - I'm confident that the RRS setup will be the same.

I’ve noticed the range rover has privacy glass on the back was this done recently? If so, was there a previous tint on before this that was taken off ? With time the elements do tend to break but this is more to do with human interaction with the part. There are different ways you can test if you are familiar with an electrical voltmeter simple continuity tests on the failed lines and pin point the problem. Glohh.
Automotive light designers and manufacturers.
Available now The GL-3 Taillight for the Range Rover Sport.

www.glohh.com

www.facebook.com/glohh

Post #369650 Wed Jan 16 2013 8:31pm
kav1187

Pete, please see Wiggs' reply from another post...

wiggs wrote:
"A" pillar trim comes off no problem ...no airbag will deploy

There are 2 electrical connectors for each side of the windscreen ..there are also 2 fuse's one for each side

There is a video on how to remove the A pillar trim in the definitive 'how to 'thread linked in my signature Thumbs Up

Im not so sure a continuity test will work as there will be continuity through the other lines above...they're all joined together. Want to do a DIY job on your car? Check out the definitive 'how to' thread in the technical section Thumbs Up

Post #369717 Thu Jan 17 2013 1:16am
madmackie

thanks Kav will look at it cheers

Post #369722 Thu Jan 17 2013 9:15am
Glohh

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Siberian Silver

Glohh wrote:
kav1187 wrote:

I fitted heated screens to my VW golfs and there are two sets of connections - one for left and one for right hand side of the screen - I'm confident that the RRS setup will be the same.

I’ve noticed the range rover has privacy glass on the back was this done recently? If so, was there a previous tint on before this that was taken off ? With time the elements do tend to break but this is more to do with human interaction with the part. There are different ways you can test if you are familiar with an electrical voltmeter simple continuity tests on the failed lines and pin point the problem.

Hey

Yep a continuity test would make a complete circuit as the whole grid is basically a parallel circuit. Banging Head So the best method would be close up visual
inspection of the elements and bridging the breaks as necessary. Glohh.
Automotive light designers and manufacturers.
Available now The GL-3 Taillight for the Range Rover Sport.

www.glohh.com

www.facebook.com/glohh

Post #369815 Thu Jan 17 2013 7:25pm
MBaker

Can anyone tell me where the plugs are located? The ones that have the seal and are really tight to plug in.

Drivers side not working on mine.

Fuses both ok, relay seems fine so just need to check if the plugs are melted/not connected properly.

Just can't seem to find them.

Cheers,

Mike.

Post #403387 Sat Nov 23 2013 8:22pm
MBaker

Anyone know where these plugs are located?

It's getting colder and I'd like to get this sorted.

Many thanks.

Mike.

Post #404494 Sun Dec 01 2013 9:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1