RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > IID Tool - GAP Diagnostics New user review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Java SC

2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
IID Tool - GAP Diagnostics New user review

just thought I would give a quick review on the above for anyone thinking about buying the above.... Just a quick summary on a newly purchased product as £300 is an expensive OBD reader or is it much more?

Next day delivery from Salop 4x4, well packaged opened with great anticipation.

initial set up is a bit of a faff as you need to sync with your car and obtain an unlock code which you then punch into the GAP website after you have created an account. This in turn gives you another code which you then have to sync and VIN lock with you car and the IID tool.

Not all functions are available immediately, the IID tool performs an initial scan and memory back up so DIY folk dangerously armed with a little knowledge can return to factory settings if you monkey something up... Bow down .... Which I did...!

Once this initial procedure is undertaken, you then need to plug the IID Tool into a USB port on your PC, no use if you only have an I Pad... !.. Then download and update the latest firmware. You then plug and play and hey presto instant access, a very simple up/down and Yes/No menu, very quick to load and access the cars memory. Found lot's of historic little codes not deleted or picked up by my ELM reader or showing as an issue.

I reset all my ECU's for any codes, re- adjusted suspension height -15mm and reset my oil indicators in a matter of seconds, a great little tool to keep in the car with your tool kit and always be prepared. Print out the instruction menu from the manual all you need is that page really and a list of OBD codes keep them all in the boot and you will be as prepared as you can be in the event of a fault occurring at the most awkward time.

Well worth £300 for a tool that does it all, once your set up a great little invention smaller than a fag packet and no leads or PC needed in the car. The best mobile tool I think I have ever come across..... Thumbs Up Java RRS Supercharged + Jaguar STR Supercharged, = Oil Refinery.... Smile

Post #378621 Wed Mar 27 2013 8:10am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Thanks Java, very useful. Any particular reason why you went for the GAP tool in preference to the Blackbox Faultmate MSV-2? Gonna have to buy one of these soon. But which?
Cue Bodsy? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #378908 Thu Mar 28 2013 1:54pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I too recently bought the IID Tool. Cracking little bit of kit - the size of a matchbox and so it's easy to leave it tucked in the glovebox when not being used. Always on hand to read fault codes if necessary.

I used it to unlock my FBH's lock-out fault code and also to look at some live values (battery voltage, suspension height readings, compressor temps etc. It's an impressive bit of kit for so small a package.

At some point I want to have a try at calibrating my suspension. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #378934 Thu Mar 28 2013 3:20pm
Java SC

Paddi wrote:
Thanks Java, very useful. Any particular reason why you went for the GAP tool in preference to the Blackbox Faultmate MSV-2? Gonna have to buy one of these soon. But which?
Cue Bodsy?

I did not compare to be honest, a small piece of kit, sits in the toolbox with manual ready if I need it, no pc, no wires, no I phone app..... Simples... Thumbs Up Java RRS Supercharged + Jaguar STR Supercharged, = Oil Refinery.... Smile

Post #378989 Thu Mar 28 2013 7:56pm
stevemfr
Site Sponsor

France 

Thanks for the kind words, JavaSC.

Sorry about the registration/activation procedures. We are forced to do things like this to try to stave off the Chinese knock-offs as long as possible. 
gap-diagnostic.com

Post #379423 Tue Apr 02 2013 3:47pm
Java SC

stevemfr wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, JavaSC.

Sorry about the registration/activation procedures. We are forced to do things like this to try to stave off the Chinese knock-offs as long as possible.

No need to apologize, I appreciate the need to protect your investment ...! Java RRS Supercharged + Jaguar STR Supercharged, = Oil Refinery.... Smile

Post #379442 Tue Apr 02 2013 7:47pm
SRE

Spain 

So how much does the unit cost to forum members ??? Whistle
2008 RRSort HSE In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #379673 Fri Apr 05 2013 3:56pm
mlines

United Kingdom 

And any sign of the 2012 version moving off of Beta! 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #380153 Thu Apr 11 2013 3:45pm
DK3000AR

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black
Language - car configuration file

Hi Stevemfr - can the vehicle's system language be changed with this tool? My 07 RRS is in French (I'm in Francophone West Africa) but would rather change to English before trying to attempt to use this tool (otherwise I'd have to run google translate at the same time!)?

Post #397377 Sun Oct 06 2013 9:42am
SRE

Spain 

Java SC

It would be good if you could add in useful info to WiKi on the Disco 3/4 Forum

http://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/IIDTool In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #397395 Sun Oct 06 2013 12:32pm
DK3000AR

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

I'd like to give a big thumbs up to the guys at GAP and give this product a 5* rating. Easy to buy, seconds to set up (the registration is NOT that much of a faff), and the responses from the GAP team are rapid by email.

I bought the Bluetooth version which I find works incredibly quickly with iPhone and generally the tool is fast and has no delays scanning, scrolling through menus or performing tasks. The range of features is as complete as you might ever need and more are continuing to be added.

I will not own a RR without an IID tool again. First class.

Post #400879 Sat Nov 02 2013 1:48pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Thumbs Up totally agree. A great tool.

I see from the disco3 forum that you can even adjust the accuracy of the fuel trip computer which by default is about 10% optimistic. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #400881 Sat Nov 02 2013 1:58pm
Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Also can only agree Thumbs Up

I did some beta testing for them and the support has always been better than superb Thumbs Up

Any queries are answered the same day, when I Censored up the flashing of the ECUs they provided detailed support to resolve and then went the extra mile when there where some problems.

I'll probably "upgrade" to the BT version once they have the Android App up and running as there maybe some interesting opportunities in the future with that...

Have a good Sunday All!

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #400941 Sun Nov 03 2013 5:58am
stevemfr
Site Sponsor

France 

Thanks again for the kind words, guys!

In reference to the Faultmate MSV, there is not difference anymore. For a functionality list, please check here http://gap-diagnostic.com/products/iidtool.html
Scroll down and enter your vehicle and model year. Additional sub menus showing specific functions such as car configuration changes, live values, or output controls can be opened by clicking the down arrows in the various boxes in the chart.

Guy, the Android app is avail on google play. You do need a device with bluetooth BLE (4th gen bt) such as the Galaxy S4 and late S3 and IIRC the Nexus 7. Google has really been vacillating with the release of an Android version compatible with BLE. We chose BLE due to reduced development costs (and because we are forward-thinking Razz ) but we assumed that the major manufacturers supporting BLE would be a no brainer. iOS is no prob - our app runs well on the iPhones and iPads with BLE (4s> and 3.gen>). There will also be a PC/Mac controller app via USB as of the first quarter 2014 though our focus will be on developing the iPad/Android Tablet app, so these will likely retain more functions. 
gap-diagnostic.com

Post #401896 Wed Nov 13 2013 9:21am
tareqyounis

United States 

Im Interested In buying the gap iid tool to use on my 2006 discovery 3 , will I be able to do software updates like the one that landrover came out with for the air compressor (LTB00270) , the old software would have the compressor work until the system pressure reaches 240psi , the new software update will make the compressor work only up to 205psi.

thank you.

Post #441526 Tue Nov 04 2014 11:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>