RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Power loss
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mick-uk

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Fuji White
Power loss

Thinking that there is somthing not quite right with my car at the minute, I thought i'd check the EGR valves after reading on here somewhere how do do it.
So this morning I poped the two egr valve pipes off and listen for the swoosh swoosh.

I didnt here a swoosh more of "giggle giggle giggle" as if somthing was moving back and forth...(both pipes) is this normal? (the car has 60k mikes and has had the valves replaced at somepoint in its life)

soo anyway... Im still hunting down the cause of a loss of power, somedays it feels "fit" others it feels Tired Smile ... I did get a F code error along with Transmission Faliure & Limited gears available amongst other errors. Reading on here that a low battery/failing battery can cause this I got the battery tested. it showed only 40% charge but had full cranking power. After restart this error cleared and the car was fine.
I was told that the battery is OK and it could do with a full charge so the alternator can maintain the charge at that level.??
I have been monitoring battery voltage since and with engine running im gettign 13.5/14v with engine off it dropps to 11.5 immediately and slowly overnight contunues to drop.
But surely this cant be the cause of loss of power?

I am also looking at changing the transmission fluid and fuel filter and hope this will improve things alittle, the oil is so expensive! Shocked

Ideas and help appreciated
mike

Post #380383 Sun Apr 14 2013 10:04am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Battery sounds a bit tired. Do you have a charger? Might be worth putting it on and getting the battery up to full charge and then see if it drops overnight again. Also, see if the battery is maintained at that level or starts to drop over a couple of days of use. Might be a tired battery or it might be the first signs of an alternator getting tired. If you start the engine and then have someone turn on the lights and heated seats whilst you watch the voltage what does it do? Again, the alternator ought to be able to pick that up without a big drop in voltage on the battery.

I would have thought you should see 14/14.5V on the battery a few seconds after starting the engine as the alternator kicks in. I'd think that 13.5 was a bit low. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #380386 Sun Apr 14 2013 10:42am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

11.5 volts with engine off is way too low and suggests battery has had it. Before you splash out £239 for a LR replacement try taking battery off the car and giving it a full charge. Wait two hours and check voltage. Then leave overnight and check it again. Should be above 12.5 volts and not lose more than 0.1 volts overnight. If it is OK then check the battery drain when connected to the car and car is asleep. Think rule of thumb is drain should not be much more than about 20mA. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #380407 Sun Apr 14 2013 7:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1